Which is the signature animal for each Hunting country?

Kevin Peacocke

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Imagine if you could travel anywhere to hunt (it will come back!). Let's get together a list of the signature must-do animal in each Hunting Country, and the not so well known ones too. There will surely be overlaps, and if so, which country wins that animal on the whole general feel of the thing.
Another spice into the adventure stew!
Here are a few contenders:

The gemsbok in Namibia.
The elk in the USA

Well, first thought is the animals in coat of arms, in each country.
Nabia has oryx, and fish eagle.

Another example, Uganda:

1597560709364.png

Red deere for Germany.

Hey Mark, I hope you don't shoot crested cranes, they will put you in jail!

Ha, ha I also havent been to Uganda, as well!

My target birds are phaesant, quail, partridges, ducks, geese, jays, and in Africa - guineafowl.

And for my country, I gave some thought what would be THE animal.
We have same or similar species of animals as other countries in middle europe, but one thing differs.

We have biggest huntable population of bears, and even we export them for reintroduction ito other countries.

So, for my Country, my vote goes to bear as most iconic animal! We call bear, the Tsar of the woods.

1597562472358.png

Ha, ha I also havent been to Uganda, as well!

My target birds are phaesant, quail, partridges, ducks, geese, jays, and in Africa - guineafowl.

And for my country, I gave some thought what would be THE animal.
We have same or similar species as other animals in middle europe, but one thing differs.

We have biggest huntable population of bears, and even we export them for reintroduction ito other countries.

So, for my Country, my vote goes to bear as most iconic animal! We call bear, the Tsar of the woods.

View attachment 363103

Neat...never knew that about Croatia...mostly it's about how beautiful the the coast is for holidays

Zambia I suppose it's the kafue lechwe and black lechwe...there is a big statue of a kafue lechwe in the airport terminal at KKIA ...Lusaka airport...hopefully it will be moved to the new chinese built terminal when it opens...but that probably hasn't even entered into anyones thinking....sable here are renowned for being big....but with the industrial breeding with genetic selection in certain other country that's been changed unfortunately...

Last edited:
Kangaroos for Australia. Ironic how they're the national emblem of Australia, yet when I was a professional kangaroo shooter, I'd shoot a tonne of kangaroo meat each night for pet food companies. For that, I'd be paid $330/tonne, less nightly expenses (fuel, wear and tear, ammunition, supplies etc).

I am hardly qualified to choose for Zimbabwe, but it has overlaps with all of the countries around us. Being blessed with Kariba and the Zambezi i would say hippo and croc are big here. We have buff, but Mozambique probably has more. Elephant, yes, but others have those too. What about impala? Hmmmm, I think it's down to croc. What think the 'real' Zim hunters?

Mark, do you want to narrow that down to a type of bear

Ursus Arctos, European brown bear.
The one, and only!

it is also on the backside of the largest national coin.
1597564045382.png

for the uk
Scotland for red deer and grouse
England roe deer / muntjac and grouse or wild grey partridge
Wales woodcock and snipe

Namibia a dik dik would have to be in the running

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg