Which is better? Safari Club International Convention vs. Dallas Safari Club Convention

Safari Club International Convention or Dallas Safari Club Convention?

• SCI Convention

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DSC Convention

Votes: 11 100.0%

• Total voters

tigris115

AH fanatic
Reaction score
So if I were only able to attend one big game hunting convention, which one would it be based on panels, floors, people there, atmosphere, etc.?

I'd ideally like to hear from people who've been to both a few times.

Both are great shows and I’d say you’d enjoy either. But there’s a difference in the atmosphere that is somewhat difficult to pin down exactly.

DSC: Blue jeans, cold beer, maybe a pinch or two of Copenhagen and the well earned Texas reputation for great hospitality.

SCI: City boy like at times, more stuffy. Red wine and fine dining comes to mind. At the same time in sleazy Las Vegas or sleazier Reno (this will change in the future). More expensive to attend.

Again both are great shows, but if forced to pick one over the other, I’ll take Dallas.

Tbh, I also found Vegas quite boring the one time I've been there. I was 13 so that could have played a part in it but even as a 25 year old now, I'd rather hang out in Dallas then Vegas/Reno.

The show in Dallas is a lot smaller and it is also much less expensive. In addition to much higher daily fees you also have to buy a membership for SCI if not already a member.

Dallas is very nice. However, for a visitor, you have access to many restaurants, shows, shops, gambling (if you are into it) etc. at Las Vegas within walking distance. Accommodations are also better in quality and quantity at Vegas.

The show in Dallas is a lot smaller and it is also much less expensive. In addition to much higher daily fees you also have to buy a membership for SCI if not already a member.

Dallas is very nice. However, for a visitor, you have access to many restaurants, shows, shops, gambling (if you are into it) etc. at Las Vegas within walking distance. Accommodations are also better in quality and quantity at Vegas.

The difference in size has dramatically reduced in recent years. DSC has grown while SCI has remained the same and possibly dropped with the recent move back to Reno.

It would’ve been interesting to compare the sizes of each this year had it not been for Covid.

That is true most likely. I went to DSC last year, but not SCI at Reno (the place is a sh*thole) I went to SCI every year it was in Vegas and was planning on both this year before cancellations.

How come SCI moved from Vegas to Reno?

Also in terms of Vegas's attractions, I don't like gambling and I'm one of the 4 or 6 teetotalers here.

They were supposed to be back in Vegas this year.

I don't gamble and other than an occasional single malt and wine don't drink much either ;) . However, plenty of hotels, good food are abound in Vegas.

The 2022 SCI will be in Las Vegas the same week as the SHOT Show. I usually do the SHOT Show as media so I’m hoping to catch part of the SCI convention.

Have been to DSC many times over the past 25 years. Never been to SCI and have no interest in Las Vegas. (Don't gamble and drink only a little). Love Dallas and have made lots of friends there over the years. I was truly disappointed that DSC was cancelled this year. Hope that never happens again.

They are both excellent conventions. I prefer the Dallas Show. Among the reasons, it is the first such convention of the year so the exhibitors are not jaded or booked up early in their convention season. I have made so many friends internationally over the decades it is good to get together early and enjoy our company before they are worn out. This is hard work for them booking their annual income stream.

Well I have been to both shows multiple times(I only attend SCI show when in Las Vegas) and they are both good shows. The Las Vegas SCI show is far superior to the Dallas show in both size and scope. The hotel and dining accommodations are second to none and the significant others in your life have plenty to do and enjoy themselves much more than in Dallas.

We prefer Dallas.

I like both organizations. Dallas seems to be more open to everyone. Their convention, last I heard, is open to everyone if there a member or not. While SCI’s convention is only open to members. Also it depends on where you live. for me I live closer to SCI and where they do their conventions. If I lived closer to Dallas I would probably be a member with them. For me I like both organizations. They both fight to protect our hunting heritage and Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross