Which Cape Buffalo horn shape do you prefer?

• Total voters
Oh yeah, I forgot to vote.

Numero Dos for me but with a side bar.

Old Velo's favorite buffalo horn configuration is heavy bosses/battle chipped and worn, one side more or less with a complete horn and the other broken off about half way through the curl.

If that could have been option #4 here, it would have gotten my vote for sure, instead of #2.

Nonetheless, Great Question........Mongo like.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Well, that is the right answer. The worn darn warrior that spend many days in the herd and fought off lions should be #1.

Still I think everyone wants that dream aesthetic cape buffalo for the pictures and memories.

Well, that is the right answer. The worn darn warrior that spend many days in the herd and fought off lions should be #1.

Still I think everyone wants that dream aesthetic cape buffalo for the pictures and memories.

Hi again Enysse,

If "dream aesthetic cape buffalo" equates to long horns / big tape measure score and such, then I (rather proudly) am not part of "everyone" because my notion of that terminology is as I described - heavy and battle chipped bosses, one horn broken off, etc, and I also like to see lion scars in the hide (at the risk of stealing this thread about horns).

When I was dabbling in boxing, I was not the least bit nervous when scheduled to fight any guy that looked like some budding movie star who was still tied to his mommy's apron strings.
The kind of guy that made my blood run cold was the one that hypothetically might have a misshapen nose, eyebrows lumpy, one ear cauliflowered, front tooth missing and a tatoo that said: "I Hate Sissies".

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Well the "highest scoring cape buffalos" in SCI are soft boss cape buffalo. Which is really wrong...hard boss cape buffalo should be a minimum requirement.

There was not an option for the cape buffalo with the big huge bosses, but I really like the look of those animals. They might not have much width, but they are super heavy....and to me that looks like a great cape buffalo too!

Let me be very direct. One, two, and three! They all have something to offer and if I get to stand 60 yards from any of them I'm taking the shot. That is if Hennie du Toit says shoot!!! Ha!:)

Allow me to be very direct. I like one, two and three. If any of them is standing 60 yards from me......I'm pulling the trigger. That is provided Hennie du Toit, my PH, says shoot! I think the all have something to offer.

Well the "highest scoring cape buffalos" in SCI are soft boss cape buffalo. Which is really wrong...hard boss cape buffalo should be a minimum requirement.

There was not an option for the cape buffalo with the big huge bosses, but I really like the look of those animals. They might not have much width, but they are super heavy....and to me that looks like a great cape buffalo too!

Enysse,

Well said, and I could not have said it better myself (unless as usual, I typed several pages full of wind to get it done.)

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Number 1 for me. I like the heavy curl with the ends pointing somewhat back. :)

full

full

full

Cast your vote at https://www.africahunting.com/threads/which-cape-buffalo-horn-shape-do-you-prefer.10658/.

#1 for sure.

#1 for me!!

#1 for me too

Kinda technical.... #3 seems to be oldest.... based on drop below ears. However, none of their bosses are fused. Maybe that’s just the animation. Hard to tell who’s face is “more white”. Also, there are different genetics out there...”herds” if you will.... where horns do not drop with age...(i.e. Aldo)..... all said & done..... I’d probably be very happy with any if it was a hard fought hunt for the old Dagga boy!

#3 for me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg