Which bullet to use for a Plains Game Hunt?

PARA45

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
South Africa (Limpopo, Eastern Cape & Kalahari), Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
I finally booked my African Safari for 2012!!!! This is my gift to me for my 50th B-day! :)

My question to you is which bullet to use for Plains Game Hunt?

The rifles and cartridge I'm planning on taking are a pair of Weatherby rifles, chambered in 300 Weatherby Magnum. I’m planning on developing my loads using Nosler and Hornaday Interlock 180 gr bullets. The biggest game I’ll be hunting are Kudu, Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest, and the smaller one will be Impala, Warthog & Blesbok. My question to you is which bullet would you think be better suited for Africa; Acubond, or Partitions, or Interlocks in 180gr? The area I’ll be hunting is in the Limpopo Province, and the longest shot (what they are saying) will be no more than 200 yds. Your comments & thoughts are welcome!

Thank you!

O

Two rifles in the same caliber? if so, if I am not wrong is not allowed

Nosler partition are fine

For the game you plan to hunt, I would stick with the Noslers, either one. From a .300 Wea, the Interlock may be a bit lightly constructed and may come apart on you. I used them in RSA in '09 and found them to be much softer than expected for a bonded bullet. The two I recovered had both lost over 50 percent of their weight. I used them in my .338 Win mag at reduced velocity which should have ensured them not doing that. You cannot go wrong with Noslers.

I would use the Nosler Partitions or Accubonds .

As stated, you will not be able to bring two rifles of the same caliber. Double check your import and export laws.

I like Barnes TSX's very much and have used them on most of my hunts. I like them as they will hold together at 300W velocities. I would go with 180gr in the Barnes. Second choice would be 200gr Nosler partitions. Do NOT use the Hornandy 180gr interlock bullets. My hunting friend brought thoose on a hunt with his 300W and the bullets just blew up (this was factory loads with 180gr Hornandys). Three shots could to mind from that hunt, a jackal was just about cut in half, the bullet did not exit on a 150yard shot at a blesbok and we chased a zebra 5-6miles after a shot directly on the shoulder failed to reach the vitals. Bill then went to his back up rifle which was a 7mm Rem Mag loaded with 160gr Barnes TSX, with that he took without trouble a very nice kudu, blue wildebeest and a few impala.

I've enver been to Africa but I have two decades of experience with the .300 Wby. I'd use 180gr Accubonds of the bullets you mention, with the 180gr or 200gr Partitions a close second.

I now prefer the TSX for everything, though. If you can work something up for the 180gr TSX, you'll have the best of all worlds....no worries about bullets coming apart if used at close range and no worries about pass-through even at extreme range.

To correct myself I mixed up Interlock with Interbond in my feeble little brain. I used the Interbond in RSA and was not that impressed. I see the question was about Interlock, my mistake.

I've enver been to Africa but I have two decades of experience with the .300 Wby. I'd use 180gr Accubonds of the bullets you mention, with the 180gr or 200gr Partitions a close second.

I now prefer the TSX for everything, though. If you can work something up for the 180gr TSX, you'll have the best of all worlds....no worries about bullets coming apart if used at close range and no worries about pass-through even at extreme range.

I don't have a 300 Roy, but I agree with all of that. I used 165gr Woodleighs in my 300SAUM in Namibia, and they worked as advertised.

At ROY velocities Barnes TSX

I have used Swift A Frames on my .338WM, flawless performance.

bullets

You have chosen good bullets that will work fine. I leave for my 2nd African trip next month. I'm loading some Nosler Accubonds to see how they shoot. The info that I have found is that they should retain about 60% of their weight and will often pass through. The partitions will usually retain perhaps 75% of their weight. Sometimes they are not as accurate. Depends on the gun and the load. For a less expensive bullet the interlocks are a good bullet and seem to hold together fine. I've killed a number of elk w/ them in the past. Probably the bullet my son is taking to Africa.
Having said that I can also recommend the Barnes tipped TSX. Its available in the 165 and 180 gr. sizes. Open up quickly and holds together well. Killed my elk w/ my .300WSM and a 150 gr. bullet. Went perhaps 50 yds. My son had a rifle malfunction and used my gun to finish his elk. Those bullets do a good job. They seem to like to jump into the lands so try loading them back a bit. If they work, you'll have a great load that will take down any of the African plains game.
Bruce

The Nosler Partitions, Swift A-Frames and Barnes TSX all have proven track records on African game. All 3 bullets have reputations for excellent weight retention and deep penetration.

If you choose the bullet (from these 3) that shoots MOST ACCURATELY through your rifle, you cannot go wrong. Then it will just be up to you to shoot straight. Remember, bullet placement is still the most important factor.

I used the Barnes TSX through my .300 SAUM on plains game and was very pleased with the performance. Ditto for my wife with TSX in her 7mm Rem Mag. We chose TSX's because they grouped the best in our rifles. Different rifles like different bullets. If Partitions or A-Frames had been more accurate, I would have been happy to use them.

I leave at the end of the month for my trip to SA. I am using 180 gr interbond superformance. I am a little partial to hornady. I have used sst in the past and love them. I think you should use what shoots best from your rifle. Bullet construction today is far better than bullets from long ago. They should all work great.

Hornady told me to use either GMX (only avail in 165gr in .30 cal) or interbond. Not interlock.

I really like Hornady too. I have had good luck with SST's and Interbond too!

The Nosler Partitions, Swift A-Frames and Barnes TSX all have proven track records on African game. All 3 bullets have reputations for excellent weight retention and deep penetration.

If you choose the bullet (from these 3) that shoots MOST ACCURATELY through your rifle, you cannot go wrong. Then it will just be up to you to shoot straight. Remember, bullet placement is still the most important factor.

I used the Barnes TSX through my .300 SAUM on plains game and was very pleased with the performance. Ditto for my wife with TSX in her 7mm Rem Mag. We chose TSX's because they grouped the best in our rifles. Different rifles like different bullets. If Partitions or A-Frames had been more accurate, I would have been happy to use them.

+1 on this especially since you'll be shooting relatively short range with a fast bullet.

338with a Barnes 225. Accubonds are worthless blowup on the hide bullets. Although I have killed several hd with them but never figgured out why they killed. Shot a zebra one time and all four legs went strait up.Little bit of heart and lung hit, no bullet found but in the words of the black commanche"Zebra him dead"

Which bullet but the zebra down feet up?

I was the Nosler accubond ,the one with the tan plastic nose in a 300WSM. I was using my PH's rifle to get meat for Christmas.Went over in Dec. to help on the ranch while he was getting his shoulder opperated on. Leaving May 1st. to go again. Think I'll move over there.Saw a client shoot a springbuck in the right hip with the same gun and bullet and the whole ham vaporized. They are handgrenades. Probably a good varmint bullet but not good for larger stuff.

Well it obviously did OK on the zebra. I used that bullet in Namibia on kudu, oryx, hartebeest and it did just fine. Only recovered one, from the kudu, retained over 70 percent of its weight. No issues with it at all. I used the 250 gr in my 9.3x62 at 2500 fps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenniferlaw003

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg