AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, U.S.A., Namibia, England, South Africa
Hello all,
A question for those in the know. I have the opportunity to purchase a New Old Stock BRNO ZKK-602 in .458 Win Mag. I also have the option of buying an excellent condition ZKK-602 in .416 Rigby. The Rigby has a barrel band sling swivel, but other than that, both rifles are essentially the same.
I currently own a ZKK-602 in .375 H&H. but will be selling it off to acquire one of the above rifles. I have a 9.3x62, so the .375 is almost a redundancy in my current battery. Looking to fulfill the Buffalo hunt dream in the distant future, and also, have always wanted a rifle in a calibre that started in a "four".
What do the learned gentlemen (and ladies!) of the forum have to say on this?
Thanks.

I have a Winchester 458 win mag and a CZ 416 Rigby . Your dilemma is essentially about personal choice , you will have to live with the decision . Do your homework about the two calibers and decide which one you prefer . If it was me I would go with the 416 Rigby , I just think it is a better performing caliber , and of course its image & history is better than than a 458 Win mag .

Hello all,
A question for those in the know. I have the opportunity to purchase a New Old Stock BRNO ZKK-602 in .458 Win Mag. I also have the option of buying an excellent condition ZKK-602 in .416 Rigby. The Rigby has a barrel band sling swivel, but other than that, both rifles are essentially the same.
I currently own a ZKK-602 in .375 H&H. but will be selling it off to acquire one of the above rifles. I have a 9.3x62, so the .375 is almost a redundancy in my current battery. Looking to fulfill the Buffalo hunt dream in the distant future, and also, have always wanted a rifle in a calibre that started in a "four".
Thanks.
Somewhere I read - here I go spreading fake news - that the mag well is big for the 458 Win Mag. This can cause them to move around under recoil. Perhaps Google this before deciding to see if it pans out?

Somewhere I read - here I go spreading fake news - that the mag well is big for the 458 Win Mag. This can cause them to move around under recoil. Perhaps Google this before deciding to see if it pans out?
I know a lot of people who have zkk 458’s (including my dad, brother and myself) and never heard of this problem.

Here is what I was thinking of - I have no specific experience I just thought I would mention it. I am sure either rifle will be a fantastic addition!

Post in thread 'Brno ZKK-602 in 458 win mag new to me and some questions regarding it...' https://www.africahunting.com/threa...some-questions-regarding-it.60413/post-719463

Post in thread 'Brno ZKK-602 in 458 win mag new to me and some questions regarding it...' https://www.africahunting.com/threa...some-questions-regarding-it.60413/post-832708

Hello all,
Thanks.
The .416 Rigby without a doubt.......

I have a 602 in 458 Win Mag and I like it very much but I would go with the 416 Rigby if I had to choose one or preferably both!!

I agree with IvW, the 416 Rigby would be my first choice as well. If you can, make sure it feeds every round out of the magazine before you buy it. If it doesn't, it is going to cost you a few bucks to get the feeding issue sorted out.

What date of manufacture are they stamped?
That I will have to investigate further. Do you think there are more desireable production years to look our for?

That I will have to investigate further. Do you think there are more desireable production years to look our for?
I'm sure you know how to check it. But when you speak to them next left side action and barrel if the ZKK.

Not really a more desirable gun to shoot based on dates.

I'll confess, 'my name's Richo and I have a problem'. I'm addicted to the search to fill my collection with every ZKK chambering offered in 1967. (⊙_◎)

Both sound good, both will get your job done, I like the .458Win myself & it is a little easier & cheaper to feed so you may practice more with that rifle.

The early dated rifles are mostly finished a little better from the ones I have seen.

I'm sure you know how to check it. But when you speak to them next left side action and barrel if the ZKK.

Not really a more desirable gun to shoot based on dates.

I'll confess, 'my name's Richo and I have a problem'. I'm addicted to the search to fill my collection with every ZKK chambering offered in 1967. (⊙_◎)
Hello Richo, I too am an addict. No specific year, just what catches my eye and what feels good in the hands. I have a 7x57 and .375 H&H in BRNO, and a 6.5x55 and 9.3x62 in CZ 550.
Any idea when they stopped putting the factory peep sights on those 602's?

I have a Winchester 458 win mag and a CZ 416 Rigby . Your dilemma is essentially about personal choice , you will have to live with the decision . Do your homework about the two calibers and decide which one you prefer . If it was me I would go with the 416 Rigby , I just think it is a better performing caliber , and of course its image & history is better than than a 458 Win mag .
Thanks for your input. Since you own both calibres, does one recoil noticably more than the other in your experience?

Hello Richo, I too am an addict. No specific year, just what catches my eye and what feels good in the hands. I have a 7x57 and .375 H&H in BRNO, and a 6.5x55 and 9.3x62 in CZ 550.
Any idea when they stopped putting the factory peep sights on those 602's?
I should know, but about mid 70's

The magazine Box is definitely plenty long for the 458 win mag. I have one that was rechambered to 458 a lot. The lot throat is short, and the win mag throat is long. You can load the 458 win mag long and create the same powder capacity as the 458 lot. There is plenty of room in the magazine for this. I don't think you can go wrong with either.. If you're 9.3 x 62 is a brno ZKK I might be interested in trying to talk you into selling that to me, instead of your 375. Please pm me if that is the case.

Regarding the choice between the 458 & the 416. The difference between the rifles (feeding, reliability etc) will be more important than the difference between the calibres. The only calibre related issue I'd comment on is potential availability of ammo in Africa should your own ammo get lost in transit. A quick check with the ammo selection at Safari Outdoors website might show some light on that.

Another issue (to me at least) is your mix of Brno 602 vs CZ550. Near identical rifles with safeties which operate in different directions. That isn't an issue hunting deer or elk, but confused muscle memory when it counts could be fatal with dangerous game. If it were me I'd buy either the 458 or 416, keep the Brno 375 and sell the CZ 9.3 & 6.5. Alternatively, keep the CZs, sell the 375 and don't buy either the 458 or 416.

Thanks for your input. Since you own both calibres, does one recoil noticably more than the other in your experience?
I would say no noticeable difference in recoil for me , very similar , but the designs of both my rifles are very different so that could obviously play a role . I also own a Sako Mannlicher Carbine in 375 H&H , for me this little rifle recoils more than the 458 WM or the 416 Rigby , or so it feels anyway .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrederickD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross