Which Brand Rifle in 375?

mstewart44

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Recently I posted a question for AH member asking about the 375 Ruger vs the 375 H&H. The general consensus was that since I did not reload, the H&H would be the way to go for the simple reason of availability of ammo across the world.

Since we have narrowed down the caliber, I am now trying to decide on a particular brand rifle. The CZ seems to get good reviews, not just on this message board, but on others as well. However, I've historically been a loyal Remington owner and I have seen the great deal currently offered by CDNN on the Remington 798 in brown laminate and 375 H&H for $499. During a phone call yesterday, the sales guy said they had about 80 guns left and they were selling 8 to 10 per day so he felt like they would be out of stock soon. Browning and Sako also sell guns in the caliber (as well as many others).

Would like to hear from the AH members on their reccomendations on the "best" brand rifle in this caliber. While I am sure there are some happy Remington 798 owners out there, the reviews on this gun are consistently inconsistent. I'm afraid I would "get what I paid for" if I bought one of these guns. What do you guys think / recommend?

Thanks for your input.

Hi

I just ended up purchase .375 after some years of dreaming. My selection was between Sako Kodiak and Mauser M03 Africa. As a local dealer had Mauser on sale I finally got one. Today I first tested in and if worked just perfectly. Very accurate quite ease yo shoot. Clearly heavier than .308 I had with me but compare to light weight 9,3*62 this is .375 is nice to shoot. Recoil is clear but it does not hit but just push you back a bit. Action work perfectly. I can without hesitation recomment Mauser.

t Pekka

Recently I posted a question for AH member asking about the 375 Ruger vs the 375 H&H. The general consensus was that since I did not reload, the H&H would be the way to go for the simple reason of availability of ammo across the world.

Since we have narrowed down the caliber, I am now trying to decide on a particular brand rifle. The CZ seems to get good reviews, not just on this message board, but on others as well. However, I've historically been a loyal Remington owner and I have seen the great deal currently offered by CDNN on the Remington 798 in brown laminate and 375 H&H for $499. During a phone call yesterday, the sales guy said they had about 80 guns left and they were selling 8 to 10 per day so he felt like they would be out of stock soon. Browning and Sako also sell guns in the caliber (as well as many others).

Would like to hear from the AH members on their reccomendations on the "best" brand rifle in this caliber. While I am sure there are some happy Remington 798 owners out there, the reviews on this gun are consistently inconsistent. I'm afraid I would "get what I paid for" if I bought one of these guns. What do you guys think / recommend?

Thanks for your input.

Winchester is again making the 375 H&H. I handled one at a recent sports show, and fell in love with it.

Not that it really gives you any information, but one of the oldest sales tricks is to provoke a sense of urgency in the potential buyer. "There are only a few left", or "the price will be going up soon" is a poor reason to rush a decision about a car, rifle, or anything else.

The best advice, if you can manage it, is to find someone with a similar gun who will let you handle it or even better take it to the range.

Good luck!

That 798 is just stamped Remmy. It's a Mauser/FN design built by Zastava so it'll be a good one. Zastava built these same rifles for Chas. Daly, Interarms and the basic for Whitworth.

CZ or Remington?

I guess I should have originally posted: what is the better gun??

The CZ 550 American Safari in 375 H&H or the Remington 798 in 375 H&H?

I can get the CZ from a local gun shop for $999

And CDNN has the Remington for $499.

I realize "better gun" is a loaded question. My internet homework tells me the CZ is a tack driving, high quality rifle. The Remington has inconsistent reviews.

Any other thoughts out there?

...I never shot the Remington 798 - but I did pick up a Remington 700 a few years ago which I really love. It was on the used rack at Gander Mountain with a $500 price tag on it, with a stainless barrel to boot.The gun probably made 1 trip to Africa & was on the sales block - It was in Cherry shape!! Never spent to much time working loads as the first load I put together shot 5 shots in 1". Plenty good for anything i will ever shoot!
..Heard great reviews about the CZ but have never had the opportunity to shoot one. Everyone I know that has them claim they love them. If you aren't in no big hurry i would check the used gun racks in the big stores you never know! The CZ will be there as will the Remington 798. Don't be rushed into something you may not like. I looked off & on for about 1 year & quite pleased with my patience!!

I ordered one of the 798s with the walnut stock and was pleasantly surprized when I received it. After reading some of the reviews, I figured that I was buying a pig in a poke! Metal finish is great. Wood is beautiful. Action is as smooth as any 98 Mauser that I have handled. I will say that the bedding isn't as good as it should be, but when I finally bring it to the range, maybe it won't be so bad after all. I ordered talley QD rings and bases and am looking for a 30mm euro style scope to put on it. $499 for a rifle that may be a safe queen is about all I wished to spend. There is a lot of predjudice on the web, so I take some of the reviews with a grain of salt.

My 375 is a pre 64 win and I love it but I do have a cz and a Rem 798 in other calibers. My CZ is a 404Jeffery and I have found it to be excellent. My Rem is in 458 WM. It is a little rough and has a fold down rear sight, as opposed to an express sight. It does not like to feed the last TBBC, though it feeds other bullets fine, so I believe that it needs a little work. At the prices I'm hearing, you could easily buy a Rem 798, send it to a good gunsmith and with a little cleaning up have a fine rifle for less than a CZ or new Winchester would cost. Some people will tell you that a CZ needs work right out of the box, but I have been happy with mine. I'd probably wait for a Model 70, but that's me.

Mstewart 44

Hi ! its great to know , that you intend to purchase the "EMPEROR" of all calibers , are you looking in for a European or a American brand ? can recommend more.

I have a Weatherby Mark V deluxe chambered for the .375 H&H calibre sightless in 26 " barrel , its a beautiful rifle and has been performing flawlessly . The other one in double that I possess is Hollands in 375 Mag chambering and is a CLASSIC was bought in the family in 1950s and still performs brilliantly.

You can opt for the Weatherby and I assure you that you would be a very Happy Hunter.

Welcome to the 375 H&H Magnum Club!!!!!

Monish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg