Which animal for a novice hunter?

I'm taking my wife with me to Africa on Safari in April. She is a novice hunter without much long range shooting experience. Out of the list of animals that she has an opportunity to hunt, I was wondering what everyone feels would give her the best opportunity to harvest an animal? She has the option of a Black or Blue Wildebeast and either a Blesbuck, Warthog, Impala or Grey Duiker. Thanks for any advice.
Mark,
I'm in the same position as you. My wife will be coming along on our first safari this summer and she is much like you described your wife. She has been hunting before, but not much and she tends to be a bit recoil shy. I found some load data for reduced loads using IMR Trail Boss powder, 15 grs. in a 30-06 with a Sierra 150 HPBT. Virtually no recoil and she shoots them very well. I make her reload as soon as she has fired a shot then put the safety on. That way she is getting used to taking the safety off before shooting and immediately reloading after the shot. We do almost all of our practice off sticks and started at 50 yds. and moved to 100 & 200 after she was comfortable with the shorter distance. I don't know if this will help you but I hope it does. Be gentle wives do not always like to take advice from their husbands and it can be very trying at times.

John

Just to put things into perspective, why don't you start taking her to a range on a regular basis? Start at whatever distance she feels comfortable at now with all shots being in a six inch circle. Then move her out a bit. Keep doing this till she is confident out to a hundred yards. Once she is comfortable there try 150 then a maximum of 200 yards. Once you build up her confidence the shots will take care of themselves. Then as soon as you can get her shooting off sticks. The best piece of advice I can give you is this: if you have a good friend or relative that is a good shot, let them work with your wife. Their comments will not be "perceived to be critical" and she will be more receptive of them. I've taught a good number of wives to outshoot their husbands.

This is the starting point. I would use photographic targets of plainsgame so the kill zone is clear to her. Then I'd take a book on South Africa game and discuss each with her. She could then have a list of animals she can consider on her hunt.

Thanks everyone for all their advice, it has given me lots of good info to work with. Whatever animals we are fortunate enough to harvest will just be the topping on the cake. I guess the saying " Take what Africa offers" really is appropriate!

Have fun

Don't get hung up a particular specie but let her take what ever gives her a good close shot, have her practice from the sticks some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!