Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
NRA, SCI, Ducks Unlimited
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
I just bought a hunt from the Dallas Safari Club auction for Zimbabwe. My wife and I have flown Delta that last few times when going to SA but flights work better, [no need to overnight in Joberg], and are less expensive on South African Air. There seem to be a lot of bad reviews for SA Air. Anybody able to give some input on their experience with South African Air versus Delta?

Try qatar used to fly delta price and service sucks
I just bought a hunt from the Dallas Safari Club auction for Zimbabwe. My wife and I have flown Delta that last few times when going to SA but flights work better, [no need to overnight in Joberg], and are less expensive on South African Air. There seem to be a lot of bad reviews for SA Air. Anybody able to give some input on their experience with South African Air versus Delta?

Depends where you are departing from.
Check out the options suggested and compare.

Where in Zim do you need to fly into? That might dictate which airline. Some of the regional airlines ( BA / Comair) will not carry firearms.

I hunted Zim a few years ago and flew from JNB to Bulawayo on SAA/Airlink. The flight was something like an 11 am departure and 1 pm arrival, if I recall correctly.

I have flown both Delta and SAA from the US and I'd rate them about the same. The SAA flight arrives in the morning, but the connection to Zim might be a little tight. I'd want at least 3 hours to connect, maybe 4.

United is suppose to be starting a non-stop flight to Cape Town from Newark.

If Emirates or Qatar can get you to your Zim destination (most likley Harare) then that might be your best option. B-class is much cheaper than Delta.

My 2¢. The only thing Delta has going for it is non-stop. Check out Qatar and Emirates.

I know there are a lot of folks on here that don’t like Delta. I fly quite a bit to Asia, Europe and lots of US. Last year was a over a hundred thousand actual miles and I can say all the US carriers have issues but for me it’s Delta. At least they take good care of me. This year will be first trip to Africa and booked on Delta. I like non stops if possible just to reduce more potential issues.

I know there are a lot of folks on here that don’t like Delta. I fly quite a bit to Asia, Europe and lots of US. Last year was a over a hundred thousand actual miles and I can say all the US carriers have issues but for me it’s Delta. At least they take good care of me. This year will be first trip to Africa and booked on Delta. I like non stops if possible just to reduce more potential issues.
If you're a frequent flyer on Delta, have their card and belong to the club, you're good to go. Once a year flier, you're just another body with a number and treated as such. Buy a seat six months before a frequent flier and you'll find yourself stuffed in a seat you didn't buy or want.

We are in Michigan and need to end up either in Vic Falls or Harare. Leaning towards Vic Falls. Spend a couple days there then head on to the hunt. We haven't flown SA Air for a number of years. When we switched to Delta we felt that their seating was much better plus they didn't stop for fuel. However flying Delta to Joberg and then on to Vic Falls will require an overnight and rechecking guns and luggage. We could fly SA from Detroit to Joberg and still catch a connector to Harare. That would save a day and a hotel night and the hassle of checking back in again. Based on these comments we will likely check into Emirates as well. Thank you for your input.

I always take saa from jfk. I like it because you land at 8:30 ish am. Connect to Flight to just about anywhere and you are right, you do not have to overnight in joberg. The seats are not great but they have food snacks and water out for the taking at anytime. I can’t imagine delta is much better. Right now I would just worry about financial condition and strikes etc. I have to make the decision shortly as well. Good luck.

I always take saa from jfk. I like it because you land at 8:30 ish am. Connect to Flight to just about anywhere and you are right, you do not have to overnight in joberg. The seats are not great but they have food snacks and water out for the taking at anytime. I can’t imagine delta is much better. Right now I would just worry about financial condition and strikes etc. I have to make the decision shortly as well. Good luck.
We've always avoided JFK because of the higher likelyhood for an over zealous antigunner in TSA there. I'm 6'5" tall so every inch of leg room makes a big difference.

I fly Jet Blue Denver to New York SAA New York to JoBurg, SAA Air Link to Bulawayo on a regular basis for me this works best, I cannot say I enjoy the flight.
I have one client I am not sure where he fly's out of. He lives in Chicago but he fly's Emirates to Victoria Falls, he is very happy. I have looked at Emirates and it just does not work for me. If you need the name of small lodges in Victoria Falls let me know.

The secret to flying through JFK is to make sure that your firearms are checked through all the way to Joberg. That way you will never take physical possession of them and not have to deal with TSA

I'm 6'4" and had no problem with the seats on the SAA plane

I fly Jet Blue Denver to New York SAA New York to JoBurg, SAA Air Link to Bulawayo on a regular basis for me this works best, I cannot say I enjoy the flight.
I have one client I am not sure where he fly's out of. He lives in Chicago but he fly's Emirates to Victoria Falls, he is very happy. I have looked at Emirates and it just does not work for me. If you need the name of small lodges in Victoria Falls let me know.
What small lodges do you recommend by Vic Falls/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg