Which .375 H&H ..... Montana Rifle or CZ 550 tuned

Tarheelpwr

AH member
Reaction score
So I asked this in my other thread, but I figured I should just start a new one since it was buried deep.

My plan is to get a nice .375 and call it good. I'm looking really hard at the MRC American Vantage in .375. I like the 8# +/- weight, but I have no experience with their rifles. Can anyone chime in on them? Are they a dependable, do all rifle that will function day in and day out? I'm looking for a single "big" bore that will handle all my needs, so dependability is #1. If they need tuned up, what are we talking and what's an approximate budget.

I know the safe bet is having Wayne at AHR build me a .375 on a CZ. I could get it probably close to 8.5# with a smaller barrel diameter, but it would cost a bit more. Any route I go, I plan to use a synthetic stock. I see Manners now offers their EH7, McMillan offers a CZ Express, and B&C offers their Safari. Wayne also offers his stock. Anyone have experience with these? From my searches, it seems the ergos on the McMillan leave a lot to be desired, I have not seen anything on the Manners/AHR, and the B&C seems to get the best reviews. Hoping some of you all have first hand experience. They all seem to weigh about the same 2.5#.

Thanks,
Chris

I dont have either but I did look hard at the MRC .375. I too want/like synthetic. I went with a Kimber Talkeetna (I know this isn't what your asking). Synthetic/SS. Shoots great, feels great, also 8 pounds.

Best of luck, I know you will get some responses on both guns on this forum

i had a bad experience with MRC and would not recommend them. AHR is another matter, Wayne makes a very nice rifle!

-matt

i had a bad experience with MRC and would not recommend them. AHR is another matter, Wayne makes a very nice rifle!

-matt

I know I'll be happy with the AHR, but it will take much longer to save up for it. But, if I'd end up having just as much in the MRC all said and done, I want this to be dead nuts reliable.

I dont have either but I did look hard at the MRC .375. I too want/like synthetic. I went with a Kimber Talkeetna (I know this isn't what your asking). Synthetic/SS. Shoots great, feels great, also 8 pounds.

Best of luck, I know you will get some responses on both guns on this forum

I've also looked at that. If, in the end, it's more trouble free than the MRC, I've also considered it. But, again, if it take another $1000 to get it fine tuned, I'm better off just starting off with a AHR.

Really curious to know how the various stocks stack up.

@Tarheelpwr I would go with the CZ. There are threads on here about people having great difficulty getting MRC to do what they said they would do.

Hey there! I'll admit that I'm brand new to the. 375 scene but I picked up a cz550 American Safaris and I'm very happy with the rifle. Just my two cents, best of luck!

I was in the exact same spot...MRC or CZ...both offer affordable left hand 375. My friend and his brother both bought MRC and neither were happy with MRC action(if I remember correctly), so he steered me away from them. My CZ prints 1 1/8 " 3 shot groups shooting both 270gr Federal or Remington box ammo....this is with factory iron sights using my kids booster seat(w/o kid) as a rest 100yds. I'm very happy. trying to save up to send off to AHR, but I keep finding other stuff I don't need!

Thanks for all the input. Seems as I search, some guys are happy with the MRC, but enough are not to steer me away from them as s DGR. I may check out the Kimber SS offering or a M70 donor.

I'll try to give Wayne a call and see what his thoughts are on the stocks and get a ballpark price working with my action and stock.

Thanks for all the input. Seems as I search, some guys are happy with the MRC, but enough are not to steer me away from them as s DGR. I may check out the Kimber SS offering or a M70 donor.

I'll try to give Wayne a call and see what his thoughts are on the stocks and get a ballpark price working with my action and stock.
Just out of curiosity, why was the Winchester Model 70 ruled out? Both the Safari or the Alaskan come in .375h&h and are dead nuts reliable right out of the box and accurate to boot! I love mine! Just took a black bear with it last week and the more I shoot the rifle, the more and more I like it!

Mod 70 is not ruled out, but I would either have the action tuned or look for a pre-64 going the Win route. I'd also prefer a SS action in a win since it has been available. I want a synthetic stock as well. The SS classic has too beefy of a barrel for my liking.

Once I checked with Wayne today, I was surprised by the pricing; it was better than I expected as long as I focus on function and not beauty. I think I'm going to send him an action and stock and squirrel away for the work.

the Win m70 is a little heavy in 375 H&H. they decided to save money by using the same barrel for all three chamberings which means the 375 is too heavy, the 458 WM is too light, while the the 416 RM is perfect.

-matt

IT
the Win m70 is a little heavy in 375 H&H. they decided to save money by using the same barrel for all three chamberings which means the 375 is too heavy, the 458 WM is too light, while the the 416 RM is perfect.

-matt
That is true, but it is roughly the same weight as a CZ-550. Mine is heavy but it is fairly well balanced and carries well, however, when hiking mountains, I start to feel the weight a little, but on average, my hunting pack weighs about 15-20lbs anyway because it also contains my survival gear and enough water me and rinsing my hands after gutting. So a 9.5lb rifle doesn't bother me that much... If I were hunting elk in the rockies, I would probably change my tune though and go to a lighter rifle like my 6.5x55.

My opinion only here

I have a Mod 70 Safari I purchased last spring and if I werent divorced already I would be now because I love firing this rifle.
It is heavy BUT not overly so. I had no issues carrying it Elk hunting nor hiking with it this summer. A good sling and a load it likes and you are cooking with a rifle to take on almost anything you run into.

It is a bit rough on Jackrabbits and PrarieDogs. Just saying, your milage my vary.

Apparently they are unobtainium in the western US, I got lucky and found one in Tucson at Sportsmans Warehouse and a great deal from them the day I purchased. Im a customer for life of Sportsman's from this one sale.

But I digress, I havent seen a M70 in 375 online anywhere west of Texas since then. The 416? Yes but the 375 is unobtainium from what Ive seen.

I intend to buy another when I find it, I love the new Mod 70 FN is producing. I have 2 made pre war and the new actions are as smooth as the famed actions produced then. I have seen short action rifles produced on the same line with the same fit and finish. Winchester might be in its golden age again with these rifles

YMMV, but Im buying more

My opinion only here

I have a Mod 70 Safari I purchased last spring and if I werent divorced already I would be now because I love firing this rifle.
It is heavy BUT not overly so. I had no issues carrying it Elk hunting nor hiking with it this summer. A good sling and a load it likes and you are cooking with a rifle to take on almost anything you run into.

It is a bit rough on Jackrabbits and PrarieDogs. Just saying, your milage my vary.

Apparently they are unobtainium in the western US, I got lucky and found one in Tucson at Sportsmans Warehouse and a great deal from them the day I purchased. Im a customer for life of Sportsman's from this one sale.

But I digress, I havent seen a M70 in 375 online anywhere west of Texas since then. The 416? Yes but the 375 is unobtainium from what Ive seen.

I intend to buy another when I find it, I love the new Mod 70 FN is producing. I have 2 made pre war and the new actions are as smooth as the famed actions produced then. I have seen short action rifles produced on the same line with the same fit and finish. Winchester might be in its golden age again with these rifles

YMMV, but Im buying more

My M70 Safari Express in .375H&H has never darkened the door of a gunsmith. It probably should for a bedding job, but I hate tinkering with something that has shot so well right out of the box.

If you want an Alaskan version, you can get one here for less than $1200 before shipping and paying a FFL to handle the paperwork. This is where I got my Safari Express.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/winchester-70-375h-h-mag-alaskan.html

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 6.54.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 6.54.18 PM.png
    889.8 KB · Views: 260
I'll be able to pick the contour my CZ since he's really barreling as well. I should be able to hit 8.5# or so without too much fuss. Stock is 2.34, action 3.1, and 26" #4 bbl is 3.5. I don't plan on 26".

ive fired a 8 pound 375 H&H in the past and deemed it to be the best weight for the rifle. the 375 H&H is not a cartridge meant to be fired from the bench so the light weight isn't an issue. any time your over 10 pounds with a 375 your too heavy and with the Winchester m70 your sitting at 9.5 pounds naked with no scope and no ammunition. a loaded m70 with a proper scope is going to weigh around 11 pounds which is just silly. my m70 in 416 RM weighs around 10.5 pounds loaded with scope which is excellent for a 416.

on the other end of the coin, the m70 in 458 WM weighs only 8.5 pounds naked which is much too light for a 458. I had a chance to shoot one in Alaska on my last visit and can confirm it to be the least comfortable factory gun ive ever fired.

-matt

I think weight depends on perspective...

I carried an M47 Dragon-37lbs
A PRC 77-17lbs
An M60-23 lbs

So a 10-11 lb rifle is not a huge deal for me and I prefer a rifle I enjoy shooting. I shoot mine a lot, fired 30 rounds off the bench, no sled zeroing because I didnt sleep for 36 hours and couldnt figure out that UP meant UP on the turret adjustments. Yes, Ill admit to that, it is funny now. Then, not so much

I admit a 8lb rifle is easier to carry but Im in love with my rifle. I have a M700 PSS that weighs in at a lot more than the M70, and I carry that too

Perspective

Agreed. Weight depends on use. I want this to be a SS (or coated) rough weather carry rifle. I'm young enough that the weight won't bother me, but I also ask why carry more than necessary? A 9.0 - 9.5# all up .375 seems about ideal to me, at least in theory.

ive fired a 8 pound 375 H&H in the past and deemed it to be the best weight for the rifle. the 375 H&H is not a cartridge meant to be fired from the bench so the light weight isn't an issue.

My overweight M70 can be fired from the bench all day long, no lead sled. Quite fun seeing how accurate 250gr projectiles can be out to quite some distance. 8lb may be great for you, but you'll only be able to get my M70 from my dead fingers if my sons haven't beat you to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luchkabody

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!