Heym 88

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
Hunted
US
Since I'm still in the planning stage, if you wanted a Buffalo with a good drop and tight curl where would you go? I know you can find one like that anywhere, but some countries genetically produce more buffs than others.

TOM

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU
Hunted
Africa, Europe, Asia, North America
Tanzania for good drop. But you will pay for it.

DLS

AH member
Reaction score
Media
In Zimbabwe, the Matetsi and Deka Safari Areas, both have that kind of bull. Also, the Bubye Valley Conservancy and Malapati Safari Areas.

In South Africa, either Johan Herman Safaris or Ernest Dyason of Spear Safaris. Both kill some really nice buffalo.

In Zambia, Andrew Baldry of Royal Kafue takes some very nice bulls.

Tanzania, Lokisale and Lobo are both excellent for big buffalo. Pricey as hell, but I'd love to hunt buffalo there someday.

morioc

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Rowland Ward (RW) & Association des Guides de Grande Chasse (AGGC)
Hunted
senegal, guinea, ivory coast, burkina faso, benin, cameroun, central africa, tanzania, zimbabwe, south africa
Hi Heym 88,

I am just back from South Africa. I hunted the Timbavati private game reserve, open on the Kruger park.
Buffaloes are just full, dagga boy, group of 3/4 bulls and herds of 200 animals. Those cape Buffalo are big, in fact they are the biggest I have seen, huge body, heavy boss and some with deep drop. Here are some pictures.

Enjoy

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Bindie

Reaction score
Media
Member of
South African HUnting and Game Conservation Association
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Mauritius, Mozambique
Zimbabwe has a number of areas that which are known for decent buffalo like DLS said mattes, Deka and in the Bubye valley. Zambia has stopped all dangerous game hunting due to bad ethic practiced, such as leaving a wounded animals out in the field but the Luangwa valley (Nothern Luangwa National Park) has some good bulls if you willing to to work for them.
South Africa has some exceptionally good bulls available but the area to hunt them is questionable, yes the Timbavati game reserve is a huge area with idea topography but other than that what other big concessions are there?
Chhers

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
Zambia has stopped all dangerous game hunting due to bad ethic practiced, such as leaving a wounded animals out in the field but the Luangwa valley (Nothern Luangwa National Park) has some good bulls if you willing to to work for them.

bindie as you live in zambia i would say this is a bit of a sweeping incorrect statement and a bit of an insult to the ph`s themselves as to why hunting was stopped in the zambian GMA`S that were up for tender. you are also incorrect in stating all dangerous game hunting has been stopped ,as there are certain GMA`S where the lease hasnt run out and that were not involved in this recent tender application, where buffalo may still be hunted. you may also hunt buffalo on the Birds family reserve. also i am not sure why you mention the North Luangwa National Park when talking about hunting buffalo in the Luangwa valley ,as you make it sound as if you can hunt the NP......

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
In RSA, you have the MKuze Falls PGR, about 45.000Ha. with nice buffs.

Heym 88

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
Hunted
US
Thanks guys...I figured I would get some good answers.

Kallie404

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SAGCA
Hello Heym,
One of the best buffalo (and elephant ) areas in South-Africa is also next to Kruger in the Mtimkulu and Letaba Ranch reserves. Bulls of 42" up to 48" are regurlarly taken. Have a look at Johan Hermann Safari's and see the quality for yourself.

The reserve is open with Kruger Park, so you can just imagine :)

Kallie404

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SAGCA
Heym,
Only a pleasure. I know this area very well as i stay there. It is a huge unfenced area where you can encounter any member of the big 5. The area that Johan hunts is open with both Letaba Ranch ( 50 000 Ha ) and Kruger Park ( 2 Million hectares !! ) and big game moves freely at own will across and back.

Although it is expensive hunts, again the quality speaks for itself.

Heym 88

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
DSC
Hunted
US
I see he doesn't have quotes on his web site. Guess I will have to call. Thanks.

Uintaelkhunter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
RSA,Mozambique,Zim,USA,Asia
I would recomend the Timbavati or Klaseri bordering Kruger park great buffalo in both letaba is another good area if you are just looking at RSA and what a big free roaming heard. When I checked in 2012 the prices where 18k up for trophy bulls in those areas but you should get a monster buffalo in them 44 inch and up Wayne Wagner safaris hunts the Klaseri and Timbavati areas also as mentioned Johan hermann hunts letaba.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drytons.own

Latest profile posts

eballo wrote on doubleboy's profile.
Is the Parker still for sale?
hunt 65 wrote on Bullthrower338's profile.
You ever sell the Hyme 458 Lott?
Bob Nelson 35Whelen wrote on jwp475's profile.
@jwp475
If you need help with your Whelen loads please PM me
Bob
xausa wrote on Challer's profile.
I don't know where you're located, but I'd be happy to let you try out my Krieghoff. I'm located in West Tennessee and the local gun club has a skeet layout and is located not far from my farm. We're about five miles from the Kentucky state line and about 100 miles west of Nashville.
I just joined today, I live in Louisiana. I joined mostly because of all of the 35 Whelen discussion as I am now very interested In the 35 Whelen. I have an 1885 Highwall that J.E.S.S. rebored to 35 Whelen

Also own 338s 375 and both a 416 rem and Rigby