LivingTheDream

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
So I am doing my research and starting to plan my next big trip. I was looking at Burkina Faso but that has taken a turn.

So now I am left with Benin, Cameroon, or Uganda. As background, I am just hunting plains game and not any of the iconic species of that country. There are some smaller packages out there and I want to enjoy the country, the experience and be some place wild and do it without selling a kidney. So to recap no Buffalo, No LD Eland, No Sitatunga. I actually am thinking about not bringing my own gun, to avoid the hassle and worry. In and out, rest and enjoy the experience.

So here is the basic break down:

Benin - Pros - can hunt Roan fairly cheap, traditional very safe. Cons - long long long trip to hunting area - fair quality and quantity of game.

Uganda - Pros - great game quality quantity. Cons - little expensive, limited selection on license...ebola outbreak next door

Cameroon - Pros - best quality, quantity, and variety of animals to hunt. Cons - Safety, Unreliable Logistics.

I plan to hunt a combination of Benin/Cameroon and Uganda over the next 5 years (I'm a bit obsessive) but I'm a little bit torn on what decision to make and where to go. I am leaning a little towards Cameroon due to the selection of game and fear that it might get harder and harder to hunt there.

So for those of you who hunted these countries what do you think? Knowing what I want to hunt what do recommend? For those of you that haven't, which one would be the top of your list?

My first disclaimer is that I have not hunted any of them. I came close last year to going to Uganda. From what I have seen it would be an incredible experience.
If Roan is on your wish list then you might consider Zambia. Could add Bushbuck, Reedbuck, Puku and Crawshay's Zebra without breaking the bank. Maybe add in a Lechwe for good measure. Let me know what you come up with. Might be interested myself.....
Bruce

Not sure if you are talking about Cameroon savannah or jungle. I have hunted Benin and Cameroon jungle. Very different hunts - night and day in fact. I will be able to compare Cameroon savannah in 6 weeks or so, since I leave for there Jan. 15.

Benin was a traditional "olde Africa" hunt, and I had a great time, notwithstanding the heat. Plenty of game, reasonable prices, and no one to bother you. I would be surprised if anyone was disappointed with Benin.

While you might be able to hunt dwarf forest elephant or forest buffalo in the Cameroon jungle, it's typically for one animal only - bongo. You might get others, but they are entirely secondary.

Uganda is on the list . . . so can't help you there.

@Hank2211 should have clarified Cameroon Savannah.

I think I remember reading your write up on Benin. Good luck in Cameroon, cant wait to read about it.

My first disclaimer is that I have not hunted any of them. I came close last year to going to Uganda. From what I have seen it would be an incredible experience.
If Roan is on your wish list then you might consider Zambia. Could add Bushbuck, Reedbuck, Puku and Crawshay's Zebra without breaking the bank. Maybe add in a Lechwe for good measure. Let me know what you come up with. Might be interested myself.....
Bruce

Zambia has lots of Roan. However, I believe there is a 6,000.00 safari fee on them, in addition to the normal TF. Not 100% certain, but be sure to check.

So I am doing my research and starting to plan my next big trip. I was looking at Burkina Faso but that has taken a turn.

So now I am left with Benin, Cameroon, or Uganda. As background, I am just hunting plains game and not any of the iconic species of that country. There are some smaller packages out there and I want to enjoy the country, the experience and be some place wild and do it without selling a kidney. So to recap no Buffalo, No LD Eland, No Sitatunga. I actually am thinking about not bringing my own gun, to avoid the hassle and worry. In and out, rest and enjoy the experience.

So here is the basic break down:

Benin - Pros - can hunt Roan fairly cheap, traditional very safe. Cons - long long long trip to hunting area - fair quality and quantity of game.

Uganda - Pros - great game quality quantity. Cons - little expensive, limited selection on license...ebola outbreak next door

Cameroon - Pros - best quality, quantity, and variety of animals to hunt. Cons - Safety, Unreliable Logistics.

I plan to hunt a combination of Benin/Cameroon and Uganda over the next 5 years (I'm a bit obsessive) but I'm a little bit torn on what decision to make and where to go. I am leaning a little towards Cameroon due to the selection of game and fear that it might get harder and harder to hunt there.

So for those of you who hunted these countries what do you think? Knowing what I want to hunt what do recommend? For those of you that haven't, which one would be the top of your list?
I too have been studying these countries for a couple years now. Burkina Faso is closed now and I heard one of the lodges I would have stayed in was burned by ISIS! Benin sounds great but for a bit more money I can hunt LDE plus what I was after in Benin. So I have decided to go to Cameroon next year for LDE, Buffalo, Roan, plus many more. My hunt will be expensive due to the LDE but you can do a hunt without LDE for a good price I believe. I think most of us agree that the LDE is an absolutely iconic African animal and maybe the most regal of them all. As it seems everywhere in the world there is unrest and uncertainty of all kinds and the time is now.
Feel free to PM me if you need to.
Regards,
Philip

Not sure if you are talking about Cameroon savannah or jungle. I have hunted Benin and Cameroon jungle. Very different hunts - night and day in fact. I will be able to compare Cameroon savannah in 6 weeks or so, since I leave for there Jan. 15.

Benin was a traditional "olde Africa" hunt, and I had a great time, notwithstanding the heat. Plenty of game, reasonable prices, and no one to bother you. I would be surprised if anyone was disappointed with Benin.

While you might be able to hunt dwarf forest elephant or forest buffalo in the Cameroon jungle, it's typically for one animal only - bongo. You might get others, but they are entirely secondary.

Uganda is on the list . . . so can't help you there.
Hank who are you hunting with in Cameroon? What are you going after? I would love to hear your report when you get back as I am going next year.
Philip

I too have been studying these countries for a couple years now. Burkina Faso is closed now and I heard one of the lodges I would have stayed in was burned by ISIS! Benin sounds great but for a bit more money I can hunt LDE plus what I was after in Benin. So I have decided to go to Cameroon next year for LDE, Buffalo, Roan, plus many more. My hunt will be expensive due to the LDE but you can do a hunt without LDE for a good price I believe. I think most of us agree that the LDE is an absolutely iconic African animal and maybe the most regal of them all. As it seems everywhere in the world there is unrest and uncertainty of all kinds and the time is now.
Feel free to PM me if you need to.
Regards,
Philip

Hi Phillip,

You're absolutely correct on the LDE. Of all the species I've hunted, in all the places I've hunted them, my CAR hunt for both Bongo and LDE stands head and shoulders above the rest. The environment, the Bako's and just the "feel" of hunting these special species in these special places gives me a feeling I've never experienced.

My LDE was the classic tracking hunt. Tracked the same group for 5 long, hot days. Do it...

Hank who are you hunting with in Cameroon? What are you going after? I would love to hear your report when you get back as I am going next year.
Philip
Philip, I’m going with Mayo Oldiri Safaris, mainly because the PH I want - Guav Johnson - works for them. I’ve gotten to know Guav over the years, we hunted bongo together, had dinner in Bulawayo a few months ago, and we seem to tolerate each other well!

I will let you know how it turns out!

So now I am left with Benin, Cameroon, or Uganda. As background, I am just hunting plains game and not any of the iconic species of that country. There are some smaller packages out there and I want to enjoy the country, the experience and be some place wild and do it without selling a kidney.

LivingTheDream
Enjoy the planning process of your next excursion...
If everything else fail, Namibia is still an option...
Enjoy following your dream!

I’ve never hunted any of these places. However, the PH I had in Zimbabwe, Ade Langley, now hunts Uganda. I’ve talked to him about hunting there and my interest is peaked.
http://ugandaprohunts.com/

This thread touches home for me as well. Just like JonnyB and Living the Dream, I had earlier planned on Burkina Faso, just before it went sideways!:mad: Even bragged about it!:eek::eek::whistle: Not going to happen, its toast for the time being.:( Benin is the other option, right next door, same species, similar costs etc. But the being "right next door" is also a potential problem as the hunting areas are just across the border from where much of the BF problems :(have occurred and in fact there have been a couple of terror incursions into Benin, and the western hunting areas are "no go" at this time. Cameroon has many "do not travel to" areas, but I gather mostly border areas with the other more hostile countries. So in my view all of the huntable west African countries are a bit sketchy right now as regards security, so not quite sure what my plans are, though I am working on another interesting option;) and in contact with an outfitter... we'll see how things go. If I can make a decision (and haven't yet) I will post it.

@sestoppelman yeah BF took a turn quick. I have heard things about Benin and it appears that it isn't looking good. Cameroon in the Savannah areas seems ok, it was bad but it is improving. And I shouldn't say the hunting areas were bad but the areas and roads around some of the areas. The forest areas for Bongo doesn't sound great but seems more like local skirmishes. The issue is that anything can happen and stuff changes so fast. Hoping this time next year I will have something locked in.

One of the larger potential issues in these places is the amount of time spent on the road, more or less unprotected in a car. Its something like a 12 car ride from the airport to the hunting area in Benin. That's a long time to spend in a car under the best of conditions. Charter flights (may) be an option but add big bucks for that.

Yeah that car ride in Benin sounds brutal. I think even with the charter it is 2 or so hours to most camps. But I mean the remoteness is part of the allure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZaneDenova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg