Deals & offers
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Touched by the hand of God
Hunted
USA, RSA , Canada
Hi All,
I did get a nice gemsbok with my bow last June 39.5 and 40.5 respectively.I just really like them I think they are very striking. I am grateful for such a beautiful trophy.It almost feels wrong to want more. Having said that where in Africa do they grow them big? Am I not being realistic? If you know where some monsters have been hiding let me know lol.

thanks-Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:
The female oryx have very long horns. Kalahari desert would be the place to find them. I intend to hunt them again, someday!

Hi All,
I did get a nice gemsbok with my bow last June 39.5 and 40.5 respectively.I just really like them I think they are very striking. I am grateful for such a beautiful trophy. It almost feels wrong to want more. Having said that where in Africa do they grow them big? Am I not being realistic? If you know where some monsters have been hiding let me know lol.

thanks-Jerry

Zenbear, I got a Rowland the same size as yours last time.
I do not plan to stop chasing Gemsbok any time soon either.

A trophy this size is amazing.

I was lucky and will continue hunting Gemsbok, hope you do to.

Last edited:
Hi Zenbear

If you got a male of 40,5 inches, you should be very happy.
Biggest Gemsbuck on the planet is in Namibia.
Happy hunting!

For sure 40.5" on a bull I compare to a 60" kudu, awesome trophy on a bull Oryx and one to be proud of for sure.

My best always.

+1 For Jaco and if might add you are going to have a hard time beating that anywhere in Africa if it is a bull fantastic trophy.

All the best of luck!

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

hi from Holland .. i have hunted all over africa and take various species , just from my views that iv seen is that in Namibia you get some huge gemsbuck. But i heard some SA breeders buy these bulls from namibia and they have good breeding success in RSA when i hunted in RSA in the northern cape, Kimberley area i saw the most gemsbuck i have ever seen and the biggest trophies wow !!

+1 For Jaco and if might add you are going to have a hard time beating that anywhere in Africa if it is a bull fantastic trophy.

All the best of luck!

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Hard to beat indeed anywhere, agreed, no matter were you go... Especially on males.

My best always

A male 40,5" is a dream for any hunter

Hi Zenbear, did you shoot male or female gemsbok with that nice scoring horns?
If it was a bull, well you probably made the assumption already??? Well done.
I would say any where in the kalahari!! Is your best bet, either in SA or Namibia

Good luck on your quest of finding that monsters
Regards

Got a 41 1/4" & 39 1/2" Gemsbok last July (2012) in the Limpopo area. During the same week and in the same area, my buddy got a 43".

Try Kanana. Tom can hook you up with them. Here is a trip report from last year.
http://www.africahunting.com/great-deals-hunts-worldwide/9450-hunt-botswana-great-hunt-top-operator.html

By the way your 40 incher is VERY good. That is considered the benchmark for a monster. Bruce

+1 on Kanana. My goal would have been that magical 40" mark until I witnessed the abundance of trophies on Kanana.

I got a real nice bull there in August that I never measured, as well as a very interesting non-typical bull.
Tom got a nice non-typical at Kanana as well. There were several Super Cows taken this past season, many in the mid 40ish range and that's what I'll be looking for in May when I return.

There's so many Gemsbok runnin' around there that you never know what you'll see. I hope to find one that's pushin' 44 inches, but I'm not too much of a stickler for numbers, and anything close will suit me just fine.

You have to be proud of that 40,5" buck.
I have seen very very good gemsboks in the Kimberley area of SA (Northern Cape). I took a 43 " female last year.

some of the biggest gemsbok are found in the Kalahari desert in Namibia and to a lesser extent in Botswana

i also say the Northern Cape Kimberley area i saw loads there all over 40 " mark.. My friend just came back from Liam Urry Safaris over there and took a monster !

greetings

Holland

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you