Deals & offers
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Touched by the hand of God
Hunted
USA, RSA , Canada
Hi All,
I did get a nice gemsbok with my bow last June 39.5 and 40.5 respectively.I just really like them I think they are very striking. I am grateful for such a beautiful trophy.It almost feels wrong to want more. Having said that where in Africa do they grow them big? Am I not being realistic? If you know where some monsters have been hiding let me know lol.

thanks-Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:
The female oryx have very long horns. Kalahari desert would be the place to find them. I intend to hunt them again, someday!

Hi All,
I did get a nice gemsbok with my bow last June 39.5 and 40.5 respectively.I just really like them I think they are very striking. I am grateful for such a beautiful trophy. It almost feels wrong to want more. Having said that where in Africa do they grow them big? Am I not being realistic? If you know where some monsters have been hiding let me know lol.

thanks-Jerry

Zenbear, I got a Rowland the same size as yours last time.
I do not plan to stop chasing Gemsbok any time soon either.

A trophy this size is amazing.

I was lucky and will continue hunting Gemsbok, hope you do to.

Last edited:
Hi Zenbear

If you got a male of 40,5 inches, you should be very happy.
Biggest Gemsbuck on the planet is in Namibia.
Happy hunting!

For sure 40.5" on a bull I compare to a 60" kudu, awesome trophy on a bull Oryx and one to be proud of for sure.

My best always.

+1 For Jaco and if might add you are going to have a hard time beating that anywhere in Africa if it is a bull fantastic trophy.

All the best of luck!

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

hi from Holland .. i have hunted all over africa and take various species , just from my views that iv seen is that in Namibia you get some huge gemsbuck. But i heard some SA breeders buy these bulls from namibia and they have good breeding success in RSA when i hunted in RSA in the northern cape, Kimberley area i saw the most gemsbuck i have ever seen and the biggest trophies wow !!

+1 For Jaco and if might add you are going to have a hard time beating that anywhere in Africa if it is a bull fantastic trophy.

All the best of luck!

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Hard to beat indeed anywhere, agreed, no matter were you go... Especially on males.

My best always

A male 40,5" is a dream for any hunter

Hi Zenbear, did you shoot male or female gemsbok with that nice scoring horns?
If it was a bull, well you probably made the assumption already??? Well done.
I would say any where in the kalahari!! Is your best bet, either in SA or Namibia

Good luck on your quest of finding that monsters
Regards

Got a 41 1/4" & 39 1/2" Gemsbok last July (2012) in the Limpopo area. During the same week and in the same area, my buddy got a 43".

Try Kanana. Tom can hook you up with them. Here is a trip report from last year.
http://www.africahunting.com/great-deals-hunts-worldwide/9450-hunt-botswana-great-hunt-top-operator.html

By the way your 40 incher is VERY good. That is considered the benchmark for a monster. Bruce

+1 on Kanana. My goal would have been that magical 40" mark until I witnessed the abundance of trophies on Kanana.

I got a real nice bull there in August that I never measured, as well as a very interesting non-typical bull.
Tom got a nice non-typical at Kanana as well. There were several Super Cows taken this past season, many in the mid 40ish range and that's what I'll be looking for in May when I return.

There's so many Gemsbok runnin' around there that you never know what you'll see. I hope to find one that's pushin' 44 inches, but I'm not too much of a stickler for numbers, and anything close will suit me just fine.

You have to be proud of that 40,5" buck.
I have seen very very good gemsboks in the Kimberley area of SA (Northern Cape). I took a 43 " female last year.

some of the biggest gemsbok are found in the Kalahari desert in Namibia and to a lesser extent in Botswana

i also say the Northern Cape Kimberley area i saw loads there all over 40 " mark.. My friend just came back from Liam Urry Safaris over there and took a monster !

greetings

Holland

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg