Where to find brass?

Earle

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Orillia gun Club, Bancroft Fish and Game Club
I am just starting to get set up for reloading, and have run into a blank wall already. Hoping a fellow Canadian member can help. Can't seem to find 458wm brass anywhere I have looked in Canada. Everyone is "out of stock" with no idea when they will have some again. Any Canadian members know where I can source the brass and perhaps bullets as well? Thanks for any suggestions.

Good luck, been a while since I saw any here. Took two years to get 25 416 Taylor brass from Epps. Saying that, they might still be your best bet here in Ontario for ammo or reloading supplies for large bore rifles.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 9.17.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 9.17.10 PM.png
    323.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 9.17.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 9.17.13 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 92
raynershinegunworks.com

Good luck, been a while since I saw any here. Took two years to get 25 416 Taylor brass from Epps. Saying that, they might still be your best bet here in Ontario for ammo or reloading supplies for large bore rifles.
Why didn’t you just neck down some WM brass to create the Taylor case? That’s what I do.

Why didn’t you just neck down some WM brass to create the Taylor case? That’s what I do.
Yes I have made my Taylor’s with 458 WM, 338 WM and 358 Norma brass. It is nice to have some with the correct headstamp, especially if I get the chance to take it to Africa.

Yes I have made my Taylor’s with 458 WM, 338 WM and 358 Norma brass. It is nice to have some with the correct headstamp, especially if I get the chance to take it to Africa.
.358 Norma? Very interesting? I’m not familiar with this cartridge, but I looked at the history and dimensions of it in my Hornady manual and can see the possibilities?

.358 Norma? Very interesting? I’m not familiar with this cartridge, but I looked at the history and dimensions of it in my Hornady manual and can see the possibilities?
Turned my cow moose last year, upside down, with a 250gr Nosler Partition at 90 yards. No tracking required! My reload, as you can only get Norma factory here with 250gr Oryx projectiles Love this cartridge as much as my 416 Taylor.

Well, I guess my enthusiasm was a little premature. I have called and emailed several suppliers who list the brass, but none have got back to me. I am thinking I may go a different route. One supplier wants $95 for 25 pieces of brass. I found a place that sells Winchester factory ammo at $110 a box. Not much more than empty cases. Going to see what shipping will cost me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 2.04.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 2.04.53 PM.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 71
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 2.04.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 2.04.55 PM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 86
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 2.04.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 2.04.57 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 72
I have a bunch of .338 WM brass, but not sure how to neck them up to .416? Do you have to use an intermediary.375 die first and then run them through the Taylor die? Thanks!

I have a bunch of .338 WM brass, but not sure how to neck them up to .416? Do you have to use an intermediary.375 die first and then run them through the Taylor die? Thanks!
I used F-C brass with one pass in the 416 die. Good lube and no problem. I only made a few for target practice until I got 458 brass. Squeezing down make more sense to me than stretching out the brass.

@Boyd Brooks
Does Wes still own Epps gun shop mate. I was there 5 years ago. I developed a cartridge called the 25/303 Epps Newton improved and as they didn't have one in their display of Epps 303 variants it took it and a copy of one of our Australian shooting mags over to him. A great shop and staff and a good team of gunsmiths. I still have the cobra leather sling with a black bears head embroided. The sling is on my 35 Whelen that I took to Namibia.
Bob Nelson

@CoElkHunter
Mate just use a 416 tapered expander some neck lube as well as case lubeand go for it.
If you neck down cases be careful you don't get a donut at the neck.
Bob

Turned my cow moose last year, upside down, with a 250gr Nosler Partition at 90 yards. No tracking required! My reload, as you can only get Norma factory here with 250gr Oryx projectiles Love this cartridge as much as my 416 Taylor.
@Boyd Brooks
What load and velocity do you get out of your 358 Norma. It's a great cartridge.
Bob

@Boyd Brooks
What load and velocity do you get out of your 358 Norma. It's a great cartridge.
Bob
I have not cronoed the load but, I used 61grs of H4895 with a 215 primer. I am getting less than 1” at a hundred yards. My rifle is an older Husqvarna Mauser action that I had a trigger install and shorten to 20” with a break installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross