Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I picked up a Swarovski z5 at a good price. It's the first scope I have with parallax adjustment. But, the more I look into that feature the more I think it may prove to be a nuisance for standard hunting!

For hunting situations under 300 yards, the parallax knob has marks for 50, 100, 200. I don't see myself fiddling with that knob when a monster Kudu strolls out at 75 yards o_O So, what should the default setting be? My thinking is to set the parallax for my zero distance (200 yards for example) , and not worry about it unless the situation allows for it "over there...baboon at 475 yards..." Type thing.:)

Is this a reasonable approach?

That's what I do, not that I'm an expert or anything. My rifle is zeroed at 100 yds (West Texas, lots of hunting from box blinds). Never had an issue shooting out to 150-175 yds without adjusting. Don't get many shots past that where I hunt

Check to see how far your cross hairs move when you move your head behind the scope. At 100 yards, could they move off a targeted kill area? For my rifle, not setting paralax causes me to be unable to shoot a 2 inch group. Shoot 3, reload, and new cheekweld puts the rest of a 5 shot group a few inches away. May have cost me my first tahr at 180 yards on a different rifle.

Pheroze,
I always have scopes with the knobs on them as they are essential for long range shooting with extreme accuracy. Now that said I do as you already suggested yourself set it for the zero on the gun which is generally 200yds for me. Those yd markings on the dial are only an estimate. I kinda use it as a focus dial then move your head a little side to side if cross hairs don't more you have it set.
I NEVER TOUCH THE THING AGAIN WHEN I AM ACTUALLY HUNTING UNLESS THE SHOT IS OVER 300YDS AND I HAVE PLENTY OF TIME.
So as you say set it and forget it when it comes time to shoot, shoot, if way long shot and all day to take the shot then I play with it as it will make a difference as the range increases.

All my rifles have Swarovski z6i scopes. I didn't even know they had a parallax adjustment - in fact, if there is one, I have absolutely no idea where it might be. Perhaps only the z5?

Longest shot taken is about 400 yards, with plenty in the 200 - 325 yard range, and never worried about parallax at all.

And not going to start worrying about now @Pheroze!

If you don't have a parallax adjustment, it is set at 100 yards, I have been told.

This is why I avoid scopes with manual parallax like the plague. I have enough to worry about.

And not going to start worrying about now @Pheroze!

what-me-worry.jpg

;)

I literally won't go from a 2-12x44 to a 3-15x56 solely because it has manual parallax on the big one.

Totally see the wisdom there! Hopefully it won't be a biggie

I picked up a Swarovski z5 at a good price. It's the first scope I have with parallax adjustment. But, the more I look into that feature the more I think it may prove to be a nuisance for standard hunting!

For hunting situations under 300 yards, the parallax knob has marks for 50, 100, 200. I don't see myself fiddling with that knob when a monster Kudu strolls out at 75 yards o_O So, what should the default setting be? My thinking is to set the parallax for my zero distance (200 yards for example) , and not worry about it unless the situation allows for it "over there...baboon at 475 yards..." Type thing.:)

Is this a reasonable approach?

Suggest 150 yards.

If you don't have a parallax adjustment, it is set at 100 yards, I have been told.

According to this Leupold video: Most non-adjustable parallax are set for 150 yards and they go on to say that for most shooters, parallax adjustment is not really needed because of the very small amount of error it introduces at long range. Target shooters and prairie dog hunters need it, but not needed for big game.

I have a couple of scopes with adjustable parallax and I leave them on 150 yards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!