Where in the U.S. are Woodleigh Hydros Legal?

dchamp

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, Australia, Namibia, Canada, Argentina
I have some Federal Ammunition I got on sale a few years back with Woodleigh's Hydrostatic bullets. I thought I would try them out here but California specifies using expanding bullets on big game. I assume it's the same in most of the U.S. One of the odd things here is, California accepts North Fork CPS bullets as an expanding bullets, which they are barely.

Does anybody know if and what states allow the use of Hydrostatic bullets on big game?

I thought that the only stipulation in California was that there was no lead permitted in the projectile.

I thought that the only stipulation in California was that there was no lead permitted in the projectile.
No, they stipulate expanding bullets on big game. They also certify all the ammunition and projectiles allowed to use.

§353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game.​

• (a) It shall be unlawful to take or attempt to take big game in violation of this section or Section 250.1. The take or attempted take of any big game (as defined by Section 350 of these regulations) with a firearm shall be in accordance with the use of nonlead projectiles and ammunition pursuant to Section 2501. of these regulations.
  • (b) Definition. For purposes of this section, a projectile is any bullet, ball, sabot, slug, buckshot or other device which is expelled from a firearm through a barrel by force. The following definitions shall apply:
    • (1) A softnose or expanding projectile is a bullet designed to increase from its original diameter, commonly referred to as "mushrooming", and retain a significant part of its original weight upon impact with, or when passing through the tissues of an animal.
    • (2) Projectiles commonly referred to as "frangible" bullets, designed to disintegrate upon impact with, or when passing through the tissues of an animal are not softnose or expanding projectiles.
  • (c) Except for the provisions of the following subsections (d) through (j), big game may only be taken by rifles using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles;

This may be a question best let unasked.

Yes, I get it. Good Point! But I don't think getting caught is worth the risk especially where I live. I don't think asking forgiveness will go very far with the State. Only my wife would have pity.

Are there any restrictions on taking hogs in Texas? I don’t think hogs are classed as a game animal in any state other than California?

dchamp: thanks for the clarity.

Are there any restrictions on taking hogs in Texas? I don’t think hogs are classed as a game animal in any state other than California?
Now that's a thought, thanks. :A Bulb:I have a cousin with ranch in Oklahoma. I better give her a call.

Well, it 's California. They regulate everything down to the color of your underwear.

Based on the regs you posted a varmint bullet is illegal?

I AM SOOOO Glad I left California.

There is nothing to hunt in California so why ask the question? Oh wait, coyotes.

I do t think any state I’ve lived in has that restriction. (WY, AK, KS, AL).

I do t think any state I’ve lived in has that restriction. (WY, AK, KS, AL).
I haven’t read other states books so closely, but Pennsylvania states the bullet must be designed to expand on impact or all lead for a legal hunting firearm for big game, so it’s not only California

No restrictions in Texas on bullet type.

If the hydros are a problem use Woodleigh protected points

On what North American game would the hydros be a better choice than expanding bullet of some sort?

The Federal ammunition I bought was on sale and my intention was to try them on buffalo but that hasn't happened, yet. As for now my thinking is to try them on pigs just to see what they do. I don't necessarily think Hydros would be better than good expanding bullet but without trying them you'll never know. As far as animals in North America go, I think Bison, big Bears maybe even Moose may prove to be good choices for Hydros, but I just don't know for sure.

There is nothing to hunt in California so why ask the question? Oh wait, coyotes.
I was born and raised in "occupied Mexico" and there is good waterfowl and fairly good upland bird hunting as well as dove hunting. TONS of hogs in most parts of the state. Used to have a lot of good deer hunting... now not so much. Most of the state has a lot of black bear and there ARE plenty of mountain lions, but of course, the lions are far too precious to be legal game.

To many people, too much taxes, too much regulation, it's just too much.

The Federal ammunition I bought was on sale and my intention was to try them on buffalo but that hasn't happened, yet. As for now my thinking is to try them on pigs just to see what they do. I don't necessarily think Hydros would be better than good expanding bullet but without trying them you'll never know. As far as animals in North America go, I think Bison, big Bears maybe even Moose may prove to be good choices for Hydros, but I just don't know for sure.

It sounds like you just want to shoot something! have fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross