Where are most man-eater incidents taking place?

Man-Eater threads...

Very interesting thread! Thank you so much!

Well I think it's 5 people so far this year that have been taken out of canoes in approximately 1km or so of the river in front of us...mostly fishermen at night...and it's illegal to fish at night...but don't seem to learn...last one was bout 10 days ago, but was bout 4pm so still light with him...

Africa has to be top three on the list… can’t remember where but I was watching the wild life channel and boom a Croc snap a man from the boat. His body was never found. The whole thing was caught on camera… gave me the chills.

Did anyone ever read about the time all the Japanese soldiers got eaten by crocodiles in Burma during the war? If I recall it was about 1000 troops over a few days. Very scary stuff.

Reporting in Asia is likely to be more active and accurate than in Africa, especially in the rural areas.

The words of Major Hunter-Habib are highly interesting. Pity that the "neighbouring country" has such a silly ideological approach to the problem. That attitude, shared by bear and wolf huggers in Western Europe will lead only to poaching.

The words of Major Hunter-Habib are highly interesting. Pity that the "neighbouring country" has such a silly ideological approach to the problem. That attitude, shared by bear and wolf huggers in Western Europe will lead only to poaching.

And a lack of respect and understanding for pople living in the ara areas. Not caring what goes on.

One example up here, just before the bug ,children enroute via the school road at foot during winter were observed and stalked by wolves, parents wanted protection,that was turned down,only bus could be given as transport,not armed persons.

What i almost was waiting for was to see if ara wanted to use DcF to go after parents and remove kids to safe zones. As that was a likely step that could have been done.

I've always found it hilarious how gents on these forums sometimes mistake me for Major Khan. The both of us actually used to hate each other for several years (and even now, we're both far from being buddies) . But you're right. I AM a retired army man.

Hunter-Habib,

Please accept my apologies for the mistake. May ask you about your rank?

Hunter-Habib,

Please accept my apologies for the mistake. May ask you about your rank?
No apologies necessary. I simply find it hilarious, that's all. If Major Khan ever found out that people are mistaking the "Lowly Habib" for him ... then, he'd throw an absolute fit.

I was a Staff Sergeant with the East Bengal Regiment during the 1971 Indo-Pak war. But at the end of the war, I was awarded the "Bir Bikrom" title which is only typically given to Majors. But I never pursued a career in the army after the war ended. I began working in the forest department as the DFO (two terms in the Chittagong Hill Tracts and two terms in the Sundarbans) from 1972 to 1989. After that, I became the CCF for the entire country from 1990 to 2000.

But you can just call me Habib. My army days ended 50 years ago. And I hate pretending as if I'm still significant today. So many (far uglier) wars have occurred since then.

Last edited:
A bush pilot buddy of mine told me that when he was doing work in northern Mozambique two years ago that one of the areas was suffering from the deeds of a pride of man eating lions. He quoted 50 odd deaths that year. I haven’t heard about the problem from any other sources so it may just be an exaggeration.
Any one else on AH heard about it?

If I had expanded this post to include killers of man, I probably would have liked to hear the opinion of our India/Bangladesh/burma hunters as to their explanation why the asian big boars are so often killers. In the book, "Hunters Of Man" the author lists many deadly and unprovoked attacks by wild boars. I am just not aware of that sort of incident in other places.

I can't speak to Asia but many deaths in rural Tanzania do not get reported unless the maneater becomes a significant problem. An occasional death is accepted as par for the course.

If I had expanded this post to include killers of man, I probably would have liked to hear the opinion of our India/Bangladesh/burma hunters as to their explanation why the asian big boars are so often killers. In the book, "Hunters Of Man" the author lists many deadly and unprovoked attacks by wild boars. I am just not aware of that sort of incident in other places.
They’re not. I’ve had to sanction several wild boar culls during my time as DFO in both the Chittagong Hill Tracts and the Sundarbans. This was actually a necessity whenever sounders of wild boars used to attack the crop fields and farmlands surrounding the forests.

In a sounder, there are mostly sows and piglets. There is usually just one or two tusked male wild boars. Only those are aggressive. Once the shooting starts, the sows and piglets scatter. The male tusked wild boars will charge the shooters if they’re on the ground and the boars can see them. They will try to disembowel you with their tusks and even gunshot wounds don’t deter them from their charge. The same principle applies whenever a farmhand would try to scare the wild boars away. The sows and piglets retreat, but the male tusked wild boars charge.

Also of note: Solitary male tusked wild boars are invariably always aggressive.

A tightly choked 12 gauge loaded with Federal copper plated 3” Magnum ten pellet OOO Buck (or the now discontinued Eley Alphamax 2 3/4” eight pellet LG shell) is an excellent stopper of wild boar charges at under 30 feet. Brenneke Black Magic slugs work pretty well too.

Last edited:
When I read the posts by Prof Mawla, and others in Bangladesh/India and Asia, I get much more anecdotal accounting of dealing with man-eaters than I seem to hear recounted in accounts of today's Africa. Is that just because we are not hearing from the PH/professionals who have to ultimately deal with macabre PAC, or is there something in the make-up of Asian game that produces more man-eating propensities? I have read that leopards in Asia seem to display it more.
When I was in Kilombero, Tanzania 18 yrs ago, the outfitter had at one time employed a writer (Ted Gorsline?) who kept an account of local goings on. He had counted 24 deaths by LION in less than a decade, that were verifiable on that one riverine section. As we passed one of the "fishing islands" with dugouts pulled up, my PH said, "that's the place where 6 people died at one go. We noticed day after day that the boats had not been moved. When we came ashore the trackers said, "the tracks show that one man ran from the lions, triggering the others to also join in the fray. Six dead," they counted by striking one hand against the other. We cannot of course estimate accurately unreported cases on either continent, and some areas on either continent may be more infested...what say ye?
While sitting at the campfire with two well known PH's, Clive Lennox and John Hunt, in August, they discussed a man they both knew that was taken by a lioness. From the way they talked, I took it that the only two animals likely to actually eat an adult was a lion or croc. Leopards, hyenas and even baboons will take an occasional child. I wish I had asked them how common it was. Of course, elephants and hippos are likely to kill you just for the hell of it. Asian leopards seem to be a lot more of inclined to man eating than African leopards and they have tigers which still eat a lot of people. India has very few lions, but I just read about a young man that was killed and eaten by several of them recently.
I have no intention to ever set foot in India but I love Africa. I just want a heavy rifle handy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaylonTova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!