When your kids make you proud

Too bad IvW, let's hope the Nationals will not get cancelled too.

Reactions: IvW
My oldest was nationally ranked in swimming by the time he was 11 - he's 30 now, so that was a while ago. He won state in high school at free style sprints, and wound up lettering 4 years at USNA on their swim team (swam against Michael Phelps in one meet, Phelps destroyed him, but he took that in stride)

As a youngster, he had some natural talent, and he worked pretty hard at it. But there were a couple boys in other clubs in greater Houston who usually got the better of him. We were driving home from one of those disappointing meets when I told him "When you get in the pool at practice tomorrow, remember how much this hurts. Remember it the day after that and the day after that. Remind yourself every day how bad this feels, let that motivate you to do better at practice." That was 3 or 4 months before his 11th birthday. He was ranked by the time he turned 11.

Winning is awesome, but having played and coached basketball and baseball, having my own kids being uber competitive, it has been my observation that the intensely competitive kids can learn more by losing than they ever can by winning.

Congratulations to your boy, I wish him continued success. But teach him the lessons, if he hasn't already learned them, to work through defeat, to develop the sort of character necessary to overcome those inevitable setbacks.

Greatest challenge is not getting to compete at a higher level rather than being defeated, being robbed of the oportunity to compete win or lose is the greatest challenge....

Wrestling teaches them from the first match there are only two per bout only one winner and one loser.....at the moment they are all losing and it is out of their control.....

My son just completed the SA National Wrestling championships.

Yesterday Cadette Freestyle(not his preferance) 92-110kg bracket Gold.
Today Cadette Greco Roman 92-110kg Gold.
Junior Presidents 97kg(3 years older than his current age) Silver.
Junior 97kg 4th.

Man it gves a warm feeling......like getting that special trophy you have been after and tracking and sweeting and hard work...and it comes through....

Congratulations (and well deserved) for your son IvW!
What are the next steps? Any chance he could still participate to the Commonwealth Games? or is it preparing for the next Olympics now?

Congratulations (and well deserved) for your son IvW!
What are the next steps? Any chance he could still participate to the Commonwealth Games? or is it preparing for the next Olympics now?
He qualified in Feb 2021 for the SA team to compete at the African continental championships which has been postponed a few times and subsiquintly cancelled......
Commonwealth Games is in SA this year in December....he is however 3 months too young to be considered....we did try...
They are planning to invite Cadettes to come over so they can wrestle a seperate international team at the same event....fingers crossed...

Irony is he is not permtted to wear the colours of the National cadette team he qualified for until he steps on the mat at an international event....the minimum clothes needed that we had to buy cost R4k.....so we hope that plans comes through....

3 1/2 years ago he spent 6 weeks in a wheel chair and had to learn how to walk again and all this BS is due to this chinese virus crap....but in my eyes he is a Champion, a winner all the way.....

Congratulations!! That’s awesome!

IvW, you have a right to be proud, both of your kids are winners. Any sacrifices you made are well worth it. But the best part for you is knowing that your kids will pass along the love and support they've received.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LauriMolon

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!