When should an agent receive his commission?

siml

AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SOUTH AFRICA, BOTSWANA, NAMIBIA, ZIMBABWE, MOZAMBIQUE, ENGLAND, U.S.A
I know agents work hard to get clients for outfitters and definitely deserve their dues. I would just like to ask the question- I have received 50% for a safari, a rather large safari. The agent wants his full commission out of the deposit, I have paid him 50% of his commission.

My question is when should an agent receive his commission? I want to be fair to agent and be correct as an outfitter.

Agent wants commission for animals not even shot yet? I don't agree with him.

Simon,

While I work for Jacques, I'm not a booking agent per se. And I really don't know how he handles things with out booking agents so I'm only speaking for myself. But I would think it's a simple matter that when I get paid, you get paid.

If the client(s) cancel last minute and presuming you retain the 50% deposit, will the agent send back to you the portion of his commission on the amount you didn't get paid? If they don't shoot all of the animals on their list, will he send back to you the commission on those trophies? I'm just guessing, but I'm guessing not.

This has warning bells ringing loudly in my opinion. Just as there are bad outfitters in Africa, there are bad agents in the U.S. booking African hunts. This has the mark of someone desperate for money and funny things happen when someone gets into a pinch.

Thanks Phil, this is the other way around, I have been paid 50%, but the agent already wants his 100% commission.

Thanks Phil, this is the other way around, I have been paid 50%, but the agent already wants his 100% commission.

Understood that, forgive me I'm an engineer and write better in mathematical equations than I do in English. Bottom line I agree with you and would not be inclined to send him his full commission until the hunt has been paid for in full.

I get paid when the hunt is done and the client has settled his bills. Sometimes clients pay me the day fee in advance and I transfer 100% of it on to the Outfitter we level up on completion of the hunt. Would not even pay the 50% now.

"Many a slip between the cup and the lip".

I get paid when the hunt is done and the client has settled his bills. Sometimes clients pay me the day fee in advance and I transfer 100% of it on to the Outfitter we level up on completion of the hunt. Would not even pay the 50% now.

"Many a slip between the cup and the lip".

When I was in sales I was always paid AFTER the sale was complete, and it doesn't sound like anything is different happens in the hunting industry. There is just too much that can go wrong. If the hunt falls apart for some reason and you have to refund the deposit it wouldn't be the agent who would get the bad review for not refunding the deposit in full....

I agree with everyone above, until the hunt is over, 50% is more than generous...they can wait.

Terms of buisiness is quite simple.

10% of safari total on DG hunts, agent invoices Kwalata wilderness CC we pay commission.
15% on turn over on PG safaris agent invoices Kwalata wilderness CC we transfer coms.

All commission to be finalized after said safari.

Deposits are not there for comms, it is to buy tags and prepare camps.

Simon @TMS do I know the agent?

My best always

Last edited:
Pay him 50% of his commissions. Sounds like he has financial issues if he needs that much of it. Just good business practice. Good luck.

R.

he must wait for the other 50% or the balance to collect his full comm , this he should know unless otherwise agreed beforehand.

Simon you have been more than fair in my opinion! Pay no more until the hunt is complete and bill finalized!

I know agents work hard to get clients for outfitters and definitely deserve their dues. I would just like to ask the question- I have received 50% for a safari, a rather large safari. The agent wants his full commission out of the deposit, I have paid him 50% of his commission.

My question is when should an agent receive his commission? I want to be fair to agent and be correct as an outfitter.

Agent wants commission for animals not even shot yet? I don't agree with him.

The way some safari packages in some countries are going. I would say that that the commission should be paid when the hunt starts for the basics , and when the hunt is completed if a commission is due on trophy animals then that would take place after the client has left camp.

So:
1. Initial commission when clients shows up
2. Final commission adjustment after the clients leaves camp.

Example would be if the country closed hunting or restricted hunting in your area and you no longer have a quota the client should be able to rebook or cancel the hunt. On a canceled hunt the client should be able to have all his moneys returned in a set period of time.

@TMS I agree with you and the rest on here. All services have not been paid for yet so agent does not receive 100% of commission. There is no debate there. There are too many variables until the hunt is over and the client has paid their bill.

Thanks Gents, I was just wanting to be fair, this is the first time I have had an agent demand 100% comm before I have even been paid or safari completed.

@Jaco Strauss , not the agent you thinking. I did manage to sort the problem out with the agent and balance will be done after safari.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross