When is a 9,3x62 to light?

Northman

AH member
Reaction score
I came across a cheap new Tikka T3 Forest in 9,3x62.
Spec sheets says 3,1kg / 6.8lbs with open sights.

I will either use a Aimpoint Micro H2 or Leupold 2,5x20.
Should increase weight to 3,25kg / 7,15lbs or 3,4kg / 7,5lbs

And this is the stock shape... is it any good for Recoil?
Tikka-T3_forest-web.jpg
o_1butiv92m7dokj41hk31b3p772g.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a VERNEY-CARRON impact Plus rifle in 9.3x62. it is also very light - weighs 3.3 Kg w/o scope or mounts. It is about as light as i would care to shoot a rifle of this power. But after some training and practise, I can handle it without problems. I loaned it to a friend who had no experience with rifles larger than 30-06. He developed a bad flinch. So, as you probably already know, recoil and a shooters ability to handle it are subjective. I like the stock shape of that Tikka. I'd buy one if I didn't already have my V-C. But it's not for everyone.

Its too light when the recoil bothers you. Some would be comfortable with a lighter rifle than others. A purely individual call. To weigh in on that stock design to my eye it does look well designed to minimize the recoil if it fits you.

I think it will be fine. 9.3x62 is a notoriously light recoiling caliber. You said 'cheap'. 9.3x62 is a very desirable caliber these days and a Tikka T3 is a fine rifle noted for accuracy. If for any reason you're dissatisfied you'll have no problem selling it. You might even make a couple of bucks. YMMV

a Limbsaver recoil pad is a direct bolt on for the T3 lite with a synthetic stock, don’t know about the wood stocks. I have on on a T3 Lite in 7mm Mag and it helped quite a bit.

You should be fine with the setup you have, that stock shape brings the recoil pretty much straight back. If you start shooting 300-325gr bullets loaded to modern pressures the recoil will get sporty. Since it is a wood stock it would also be very easy to add some weight to the butt and then to the forearm to get the balance correct.

I came across a cheap new Tikka T3 Forest in 9,3x62.
Spec sheets says 3,1kg / 6.8lbs with open sights.

I will either use a Aimpoint Micro H2 or Leupold 2,5x20.
Should increase weight to 3,25kg / 7,15lbs or 3,4kg / 7,5lbs

And this is the stock shape... is it any good for Recoil?
View attachment 446260View attachment 446259
I have a T3X Hunter in 6.5x55. It's one of the 2 most accurate rifles I own. IMO, for an inexpensive rifle, the trigger is amazing, and the bolt is smooth as butter.

My 9.3 is a Zastava large ring mauser. Off the bench, recoil is rather "sporty" as @AZDAVE says. Off of sticks or free hand, it's a kitten.

Oh, and it doesn't really fit me. LOP is 13.5", I need about 15.5". About to order a Boyd's at 14 1/4" plus a 1" pachmeyr, we'll see what it's like then.

Just had it measured.. its between 2690-2740g
5,9 - 6lbs

Adding a Aimpoint Micro 150g.. 6.4lbs..

I found the speer 270gr bullet to be very accurate but also a little too soft for big game hunting. I shot a moose in the neck with one and it didn't exit. There was a lot of pieces of bullet in the neck area showing the bullet really came apart. This was at 15 yards.

I have settled on to the 286gr Nosler Partition for all of my hunting with the 9.3 anymore. I have thought about checking out the barnes TSX options but haven't had a chance to play with them yet.

I load the 286 partition to just over 2400fps using Re15 and H4350.

I found the speer 270gr bullet to be very accurate but also a little too soft for big game hunting. I shot a moose in the neck with one and it didn't exit. There was a lot of pieces of bullet in the neck area showing the bullet really came apart. This was at 15 yards.

I have settled on to the 286gr Nosler Partition for all of my hunting with the 9.3 anymore. I have thought about checking out the barnes TSX options but haven't had a chance to play with them yet.

I load the 286 partition to just over 2400fps using Re15 and H4350.
I don't know about the TSX. It's already starting out so slow, you will already be at ~2K fps by about 125 yards. I'd stick with the Partitions, or if you want an alternate, SAF 286 or Norma Oryx 285. I get insane accuracy out of the Normas, and they'll still mushroom reliably at impact velocities probably down to 1800 fps. They are famously (or notoriously, depending on your POV) soft.

Personally, I think the rifle as is, is too light. Adding a little weight to the stock and or forearm as AZDave suggests as well as a Limbsaver recoil pad will result in a joy to shoot.

@Bonk is right- the 9,3x62 is rather tame, especially when actually hunting. Only the normal sitting position at the range generates some recoil, but for this caliber I feel it is comparable to the .30.06 with heavy loads. So if it is a good price- the rifle looks good, especially with the bipod,- I would buy it.

I use the 285’s and 286’s for hunting everything. Very very accurate and very powerful, very little meat damage. Just don’t see the point in chasing loads for different game. Both my 9.3’s weigh in at about 9 pounds or so and the recoil is not a bother with max loads.

Personally, I think the rifle as is, is too light. Adding a little weight to the stock and or forearm as AZDave suggests as well as a Limbsaver recoil pad will result in a joy to shoot.
@Shootist43 is spot on. A Limbsaver recoil pad will save you a lot of pain on such a light 9.3x62 mm Mauser caliber rifle.

My recently acquired Steyr Professional with glass stock is TOO light for anything like full house loads. It bucks and roars with a mighty thunder!
It weighs just under 8# with scope which sounds like barely adequate weight but man, it do come back! It also has an aftermarket pad already but not a very soft one, its the KickEzz pad, better than factory but not as good as a Pachy.
Fortunately as I have no intention of hunting pachyderms or anything else nasty with it anytime soon I can load it down to levels that dont spin me off the bench and knock me out from under my hat!

Make a great carry rifle though.....

I don't know about the TSX. It's already starting out so slow, you will already be at ~2K fps by about 125 yards. I'd stick with the Partitions, or if you want an alternate, SAF 286 or Norma Oryx 285. I get insane accuracy out of the Normas, and they'll still mushroom reliably at impact velocities probably down to 1800 fps. They are famously (or notoriously, depending on your POV) soft.
I have been considering the Norma Oryx 285. All i have to do is order one or have my lgs find one for me.

I have been considering the Norma Oryx 285. All i have to do is order one or have my lgs find one for me.
oryx 286 58.5 gr 2000mr.jpg

5 shots 100 yards

I have a T3X Hunter in 6.5x55. It's one of the 2 most accurate rifles I own. IMO, for an inexpensive rifle, the trigger is amazing, and the bolt is smooth as butter.

My 9.3 is a Zastava large ring mauser. Off the bench, recoil is rather "sporty" as @AZDAVE says. Off of sticks or free hand, it's a kitten.

Oh, and it doesn't really fit me. LOP is 13.5", I need about 15.5". About to order a Boyd's at 14 1/4" plus a 1" pachmeyr, we'll see what it's like then.

[EDIT] You need 2"... not one.

Consider a 1.1" Pachmayr F325 Deluxe Field or 1" Decelerator Recoil Pad grind-to-fit, w/ a coupla extra spacers, and install it yourself.

Cut an inch off this .270 Win stock and installed one:

WP-20180617-11-55-52-Pro-2.jpg

Red

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!