Whattt????? They Ironed My Boxers Too!

Dinosaur

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Kenya
Upon visiting Africa, you discover that you laundry is done for you, wow, now that's something, man, the colonials have sure left their legacy, housemaids and safari staff treating everything first class, ironing, pleating and folding your clothing so beautifully.

Man, I am so used to doing that stuff myself in Oz, not that I Like doing it, but that's what I used to have to do for work, and going on the town. But I felt so uncomfortable having a stranger having to labour over my dirty laundry.

When I questioned my uncle, he said that the house maid desperately needed employment, and that every household has house maids, etcetera, and to just give them some cash as a thankyou when I return overseas.

Honestly I still couldn't get over them ironing my boxer shorts, it's not like I was going to parade around in them.

Mango Fly #7.jpg

Well, only after I returned to Australia, my mother called me silly for not remembering her warnings about the dreaded Mango Flies. She was always telling me about the amount of boiling, washing, ironing that she had to do with my older sister, and I, as babies in Kenya and Tanzania. There were no disposable nappies in the early 1960's, and every parent wants their babies to remain at the best of health.
The mango flies were a pain, so it was a colonial thing to boil, wash, and hang you clothing, or nappies in the bright sunshine (not shade) and then give them a solid ironing to kill any mango fly eggs that were hidden in the folds and creases of the wet/damp clothing.

If left to be, the larvae will burrow into your skin after they have hatched. Sort of similar to bot-flies, but they need a host to distribute their eggs to humans.

Mango Flies #1.jpg

Mango Fly Lavae #1.jpg
Mango Fly Lavae #2.jpg

I am lucky I didn't have any problems with Mango flies, as I washed my own clothes, whilst traveling around Kenya, and tried to dry the clothes in sunny spots, but I wasn't considering any thought of Mango flies.

Therefore, there is a reason why your hunting crew, is washing, and ironing your clothing.

By the way, Mango Flies (Cordylobia anthropophaga), are also known as Tumba, Putzi, or Skin Maggot Flies

Regards Rob

Ironing 100% necessary, put please spare the elastic at the waste!!

Upon visiting Africa, you discover that you laundry is done for you, wow, now that's something, man, the colonials have sure left their legacy, housemaids and safari staff treating everything first class, ironing, pleating and folding your clothing so beautifully.

Man, I am so used to doing that stuff myself in Oz, not that I Like doing it, but that's what I used to have to do for work, and going on the town. But I felt so uncomfortable having a stranger having to labour over my dirty laundry.

When I questioned my uncle, he said that the house maid desperately needed employment, and that every household has house maids, etcetera, and to just give them some cash as a thankyou when I return overseas.

Honestly I still couldn't get over them ironing my boxer shorts, it's not like I was going to parade around in them.

View attachment 357127

Well, only after I returned to Australia, my mother called me silly for not remembering her warnings about the dreaded Mango Flies. She was always telling me about the amount of boiling, washing, ironing that she had to do with my older sister, and I, as babies in Kenya and Tanzania. There were no disposable nappies in the early 1960's, and every parent wants their babies to remain at the best of health.
The mango flies were a pain, so it was a colonial thing to boil, wash, and hang you clothing, or nappies in the bright sunshine (not shade) and then give them a solid ironing to kill any mango fly eggs that were hidden in the folds and creases of the wet/damp clothing.

If left to be, the larvae will burrow into your skin after they have hatched. Sort of similar to bot-flies, but they need a host to distribute their eggs to humans.

View attachment 357128

View attachment 357129 View attachment 357130

I am lucky I didn't have any problems with Mango flies, as I washed my own clothes, whilst traveling around Kenya, and tried to dry the clothes in sunny spots, but I wasn't considering any thought of Mango flies.

Therefore, there is a reason why your hunting crew, is washing, and ironing your clothing.

By the way, Mango Flies (Cordylobia anthropophaga), are also known as Tumba, Putzi, or Skin Maggot Flies

Regards Rob
@Dinosaur
Nasty looking little critters. I don't know if we would have any problems in the Kalahari region of Namibia.
Just lucky they didn't starch your undies as well.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg