What's the deal with hunting in Tanzania?

gillie

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
Good morning all

Like the subject says, what is the deal with hunting in Tanzania? Why is it so expensive? Is it better than hunting for buff in let's say, Zim or Zambia? What do you classify as "better" ? Does it have better trophies, is it a better hunting experience in whole etc. ? Or is more of a "hunting romance" thing ?

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts, especially if you have hunted in Tanzania and other countries, specifically for buffalo.

Thanks
Johan

Well the government cuts themselves a huge chunk out of the hunt costs. It's more wild and remote, travel cost for everything are WAY HIGHER. That being said I'm pretty certain the quality of the hunt is high. It' s a dreamy hunt for sure!!!!! I think nice cape buffalo can be taken anywhere in Africa, but the quality of the experience will vary.

I have hunted Tanzania twice, but way back in 2004 and 2005. Then, the safari prices were still reasonable and in fact I did a major research on all the African countries, comparing safari fees and actual trophy for trophy fees of what I intended to hunt. All in all, Tanzania came out tops for my initial 7x day buff and PG hunt. This was in the Selous, top Northern section. During this short hunt, the place grew on me and I opted for a return 21 x day hunt the next year. Still very reasonable rates. I split the 21 x days into 10 x days up North in the Maasailand a d 11 x days in the southern Selous area ( extra cost of the charter for tis flight down). I had my two sons with me for the first leg in Maasailand, they had to get back to work/ school so missed the second leg. It was FANTASTIC... wild, lots of adventure and VERY rewarding.
Since then, I have looked at going back to Tanzania but it is just TOO EXPENSIVE and no longer good value for money. You will get equally wild areas to hunt in Zim and Zambia... Mozambique too, although Moz is also way over the top as far as I am concerned.
I believe the Tanzania issue is largely related to Govt taking a bigger share, but I am not so sure that the operators there are not creaming it as well!!!
21 x day safari in 2005 _ $36k
elephant trophy fee - $4k
lion/ leopard trophy fee --$2750
buffalo 1st $800, 2nd $1000 and 3rd $1200
PG was very reasonable...... didn't pay extra for lion baits ( if needed). Didn't pay for camp meat animals shot.

Tanzania, particularly the Selous, has some of the romance of old time safari hunting about it, and it is a pretty wild place. I think "wilder" places are always more expensive to hunt, given the remoteness, logistics, etc.

Having said that, the government of Tanzania seems to be hell-bent on destroying not only hunting but their game at the same time. On-again off-again auctions for concessions, taking back or annulling auctions that have happened, issuing press releases to have them contradicted by another department a few days later, allowing rampant poaching pretty much throughout the country, it just goes on. There are very few animals you need to go to Tanzania to get (I'm sure there must be some, but I can't think of any at the moment - a type of gnu maybe?), so I'd just give it a pass until they get their act together.

I realize that's hard on local outfitters, but seriously, the only way hunters can incentivize appropriate behaviour by governments, and not be perceived as a bottomless pit of money to be milked at will, is to vote with our feet and our wallets.

Zambia and Zimbabwe will give you similar wild and remote experiences at a fraction of the cost.

There are three types of land to hunt on in Africa. There is private land which is what many of us choose for PG Safaris in RSA and Namibia. There are the communal areas (each country has their own name/designation) where there is hunting along side villagers living in the area. Then there are the government owned Safari areas. These are the most expensive due to the single use of the land. They are often times vast areas of real wilderness and Tanzania has some of the best. Tanzania has the unique East African species that can’t be hunted anywhere else like the gazelles. I’ve not been but want to go so badly! The animals I want to hunt require a 21 day license so it will be an expensive hunt. It may as well be a full bag safari to make it worth it.
Philip

Would love to go there someday myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!