What would be your Dream Hunt!??

Africa: It would have to be a hunt that was long enough to take days off and be able to relax, drink coffee and write. That would easily be 3 months or more, enough time that one could really study as much of the outdoors as he wanted. It would involve a lot of walking. It would involve multiple moments of being scared as you stand 20 yards away from a massive animal and know that your shot must be true. It would be a hunt where your rifle had a full magazine at all times and was used for camp meat regularly. It would be a hunt where you had enough time to test multiple self made biltong recipes. It would be a hunt long enough that the cook expected you to be in the kitchen regularly, elbows deep in creating joy for hungry hunters. It would be a hunt where you had ten different kinds of ammo and used almost all of it and took notes and photos of the results.

As others have said,

Africa: a really long, old safari like Teddy did. Possibly even retracing his route.

North America: 3.5 months and try to kill one of every huntable Big Game Species in BC/Yukon. I believe its 18 including all but 1 species of the N.A. Sheep.

My dream hunt would be a full-bag 28-day safari in Tanzania. I can't think of a hunt that would be more exciting for me.

As others have said,

Africa: a really long, old safari like Teddy did. Possibly even retracing his route.

North America: 3.5 months and try to kill one of every huntable Big Game Species in BC/Yukon. I believe its 18 including all but 1 species of the N.A. Sheep.
+1. Retracing Teddy Roosevelt's African hunting adventure with grants from the Smithsonian, Discovery Channel, SCI, DSC, PHASA, other African Professional Hunting Organizations, etc. Could even hunt in Kenya because part of the expedition would be scientific in nature while looking for new African species? If the grants didn't come through, a 21 day hunt for several DG species with a Covid "stimulus" check from Sleepy Joe's CDC fund for exploring Africa's bush looking for virus variants and their potential cross infection potential from humans to fauna. Hey, there's billions floating around out there? Ha! Ha!

Since its a dream hunt or hunts I would break it up into 3 Safaris.

1st Safari

Starting at the Mouth of the Cunene River, Atlantic Ocean on the border of Angola and Namibia follow the river untill it becomes the Zambezi and follow it untill reaching the mouth of the Zambezi and the Indian ocean.

Hunt all species along the way with multiple tags in Elephant, buffalo lion and leopard.

Rifles for all 3 Safaris
458 Lott
375 H&H
300 H&H
22 Hornet
12 GA side by side

2nd Safari

Again start at the Atlantic Ocean on the mouth of the Congo river and move north east as far as possible untill South Sudan collecting all species along the way with multiple tags for the bigger animals.

3rd Safari

Start at the Southern part of Lake Malawi and move north all along the waterways and lakes hunting in Mozambique, Malawi, Zambia, Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia ending the Safari in Karthoum, Sudan

I think this Safaris would take at least 1 year each on foot and boat of course.

As others have said,

Once a year, we have a reenactment of an 1884 Safari in South Africa.......

HWL

Coastal Brown Bear in Alaska or Marco Polo in Kyrgyzstan, both top of the list and in the pipeline!

I could be very happy hunting big game anywhere but I have 2 dreams.

First I wanted a grizzly since I was 7 or 8. I was blessed to get one in 2019, ironically on a quick after work hunt not a wilderness epic. The only way to improve on that would be to get one as part of a long backpacking or horseback trip in the mountains. Sort of like the old stories I'd read about in Oudoor Life. I might even use an old school lever action to be cool. Not super "out there" since I live in Alaska but its still a goal.

Second I'd love to hunt a lion. Might take a long time but if I ever reach Africa I'd prioritize that one. Something about the mystique of lions and grizzlies as apex predators appeals to me.

I'm going to call it the "David Slam" after the Biblical story of David and Goliath. Kill a lion and a bear, then knock out a giant in a boxing match (since hitting people with slings it out of style).

Hunting with my father-in-law and taking a Red Stag each in Poland! Would love to share that time with him, especially as it would be be his first ever hunt!

Already done them. DIY drop camp/backpack caribou and moose in AK. Backpack sheep in AK at a time of abundance in the Wrangells (early 70s). DIY brown bear Kodiak and Peninsula AK. PG and DG in Africa.

So, right now it may be a question which would I eagerly do again? Maybe these two- DIY drop camp/backpack caribou AK. Tracking hunt for eland in the Kalahari/Bostwana with San Bushman trackers :)

Last edited:
Already done them. DIY drop camp/backpack caribou and moose in AK. Backpack sheep in AK at a time of abundance in the Wrangells (early 70s). DIY brown bear Kodiak and Peninsula AK. PG and DG in Africa.

So, right now it may be a question which would I eagerly do again? Maybe these two- DIY drop camp/backpack caribou AK. Tracking hunt for eland in the Kalahari/Bostwana with San Bushman trackers :)
DIY Caribou/Moose in AK is definitely on my list. I keep trying to plan something with a couple buddies. If you get a chance, PM me some info on how you did this and what advice or recommendations you'd have.

i'm curious if you were given big sums of money and could afford any hunt but only one hunt, what would that ultimate hunt be?

so that's that's question to my fellow AH members, what would be your dream hunt ???
So dream hunt? Or dream animal? If it was dream hunt I’d say either 28 day Tanzania full bag, or Zimbabwe. Dream animal would be probably a big Botswanan tusker.

DIY Caribou/Moose in AK is definitely on my list. I keep trying to plan something with a couple buddies. If you get a chance, PM me some info on how you did this and what advice or recommendations you'd have.

Be glad to pass on info from my perspective. Let me get back home and on the desktop later today.

I guess mine would be a very lengthy 5-6 week hunt for plains game, night critters and buffalo. Maybe a crocodile. No specific list, just hunting every day and in different habitats for whatever the PH says is a good animal.

A multi year, multi continent expedition….but until I swap places with Jeff Bezos, that’s not happening.

More feasible dream hunt (only slightly): A multi bag DG hunt from tent camp(s) using a double. Elephant (2x), Cape Buff (2-3x), Leopard, and Lion on the menu. I only need to swap places with a multi-millionaire. :LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryellenD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you