35bore

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
Hunted
USA, South Africa, France
I have owned a few Rugers in the past, but, am curious of others experience with factory loaded ammo in Ruger rifles. The one I am buying is the 77 International, "full stock" in 30-06, I would like to know who has had luck with the 180gr. ammo, be it Hornady, Remington, Winchester, Nosler, etc. just looking for some input. Thanks.

Factory loads usually dont perform as well as home brewed regardless the gun. Once in a while you may get lucky and find a particular load that the gun likes and perhaps it even lives up to its hype, but its been rare for me which is why I load for all my rifles. As to Ruger specifically, they are by and large fine shooting rifles especially late models. The one risk of getting the full stock model is the stock itself. Full stock guns tend to be a bit finicky due warpage and the addition of the ferrule on the end bearing on the barrel. Not always however and one may get lucky there as well. Now recently I had owned a late model as you describe in 7-08 and found it to be a very good shooter giving handload groups of around 1.5 inches which is acceptable. I didnt keep it long though as while I love Ruger's that one just didnt grab me. Much depends on expectations and what one considers good shooting.

Honestly I love the 1/2 inch groups as much as the next guy, but, in time I have come to realize that 1 1/2 in. off of the bags is more than accurate enough for a "hunting rifle" with factory ammo. Reason i asked the initial question, I have had really good luck with federal ammo in my Savage's, Remington ammo in my 700's and my Weatherby's have alway's liked the Nosler stuff. I really have owned only two Rugers in the past and both seemed to like the Hornady ammo, just wanted other's recomendations before sinking a few hundred $ into a bunch of different brands. Thanks though Scott.

Yes absolutely, inch and half groups are fine for a hunting rifle with factory ammo if it can be had. Factory ammo is better today than ever especially in the accuracy dept. Velocity is another story as rarely will claimed speed be confirmed over the graph.

I bought a Ruger International in 308 cal back in 1984-5. Still have it & it's been my main hunting rifle since. I use the rifle on Sambar deer with 180 Gn round nose corelocks at 2450 fps.(app). Not super hot load but in the thick cover the sambar favour they work well. Always got good expansion with these & as I recall only ever lost one sambar...due to bad shooting. Has been a great little rifle and never had an issue with it. It's no tac driver but there is to much emphasis placed on that anyway.. groups to about 1-1/2 inches no matter what I feed it. Never had any problem with wood swell either in a mainly wet hunting climate.
I acquired a 375R Alaskan last year & took it to africa. No complaints with it either & it grouped to 1 inch with factory Hornadys straight out of the box. Guess I got lucky. Good luck with the '06.

I'll be honest most of Rugers shoot better than custom rifles people pay $5,000+ for and never happy. My 243 Win. loves the cheap 100 grain Power Point by Winchestor, my 22-250 shoots 0.80 groups with Nosler Ballistic tips from Winchestor. And my 223 loves the cheap Ultramax ammo in the 55 gr. that you can buy at Cabelas.

I love Ruger bolt action rifles!

I have a Model 77 ss Hawkeye .338 Win Mag, my go to gun for plains game and bear in Alaska. Ten trophies taken with this rifle...all one shot kills. Preferred ammunition is Federal 225 grain Premium Safari...tremendous expansion and at least 95% retained weight (on recovered bullets).

Eagle One
Alaska and Colorado

enysse, one of the Rugers I owned in the past, 308 win, loved the Ultramax. Eagle one, I have some Federal 180's from a previous 06' I was going to try. Scott, as long as velocities are close, I'm really not a velocity guru, I'd rather be sure the 'bullet' finds it's mark and preforms the way it is suppose to, even if velocity is 100-125 fps slower. Thanks for the input, I'll keep you posted once I get the gun scoped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross