What Watch do you wear when you hunt?

I like to wear a watch when I'm at home. I know my cell phone keeps better time than any watch and I'm going to have it with me anyway, but I still find a watch convenient. But when I'm hunting in Africa, I'm on vacation. If the sun is coming up, then it's time to hunt. If the sun is going down, that is time for cocktails.

No uso reloj...cuando cazo no presto atencion a la hora...dejo que corra el tiempo

I like pilot´s watches, can´t help it :D

LFetiqs.jpg

hQ7NlGe.jpg

K2hHpCJ.jpg

QQ2ud8D.jpg

Attachments

• hQ7NlGe.jpg
    hQ7NlGe.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 104
  • K2hHpCJ.jpg
    K2hHpCJ.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 88
  • LFetiqs.jpg
    LFetiqs.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 90
  • QQ2ud8D.jpg
    QQ2ud8D.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 82
Last edited by a moderator:
I've always been a fan of the "type A" Flieger Pilot watches.
Simple in design, thin and easy to read.
Been eyeballing a Stowa Flieger Classic 40mm for a while now.
The price of guns and ammo seem to be getting in the way.
flieger_klassik_40.jpg

Attachments

• flieger_klassik_40.jpg
    flieger_klassik_40.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 98
I am sure it has been said somewhere else in the body of this thread, but the mechanical ingenuity of an automatic chronograph is almost beyond belief. We build mechanical componentry for a living and that is hard enough full size. Imagine doing something as intricate as a chrono and it then works faultlessly for years on end, first time, every time - it's a miracle!

1920´s inherited from my grandfather, not sure of make but quality at least on par with same era Omegas according the man who renovated it

Watch.jpeg
.. I use it when occationally wearing white tie..

1920´s inherited from my grandfather, not sure of make but quality at least on par with same era Omegas according the man who renovated it

View attachment 373005.. I use it when occationally wearing white tie..
If it's been running since 1920.... It's probably a good brand lol.

I rarely wear a watch or take my cell phone with me when I'm hunting. Generations of hunters and outdoorsman have gotten by just fine without technology and part of the reason I go into the woods is to escape the modern world. Why would I take it with me? I do carry a compass when I'm in an area I'm unfamiliar with.

I wear a Citizen Titanium Solar Day/Date not real fancy but very solid

View attachment 373005.. I use it when occationally wearing white tie..
That is truly beautiful Pondoro, you inherited a gem.

And, what would be the purpose of such conspicuous consumption while on safari? Watches are jewelry nowadays. Completely unnecessary in today's world. I'll take another fine gun in lieu of a task the cell phone manages quite well, and even that is typically packed away during safari...like the typical NY deer hunter says..."Sun's Up-Guns Up; Sun's Down-Guns Down!" (they also are fond of saying "if it's brown, it's down.") In 6 safaris, I've never, ever concerned myself with the time of day while out in the bush, or wanting for people to gawk at my accoutrements. Only at airports did the time concern me, and even then, they have clocks on the flight schedule boards and I my phone...I detest jewelry. lol The watch and cigar posts ARE quite amusing, though...One could go on a nice safari by deciding not to purchase such a thing, and, the PH will gladly tell you the time at no extra cost (unless of course such requests are semi-hourly.) Agreed on the comments above re: watch construction, antiquities, etc.-when they were a necessary item. I inherited a radium dial (radioactive) watch from my grandfather and now knowing they caused people to become sick and die, I'm glad it broke shortly after receipt nearly 50 yrs ago (and I spent some time cleaning that haz waste site up in NJ-at the expense of people who wanted a watch that glowed 24/7 sans any batteries.)

Last edited:
And, what would be the purpose of such conspicuous consumption while on safari? Watches are jewelry nowadays. Completely unnecessary in today's world. I'll take another fine gun in lieu of a task the cell phone manages quite well, and even that is typically packed away during safari...like the typical NY deer hunter says..."Sun's Up-Guns Up; Sun's Down-Guns Down!" (they also are fond of saying "if it's brown, it's down.") In 6 safaris, I've never, ever concerned myself with the time of day while out in the bush, or wanting for people to gawk at my accoutrements. Only at airports did the time concern me, and even then, they have clocks on the flight schedule boards and I my phone...I detest jewelry. lol The watch and cigar posts ARE quite amusing, though...One could go on a nice safari by deciding not to purchase such a thing, and, the PH will gladly tell you the time at no extra cost (unless of course such requests are semi-hourly.) Agreed on the comments above re: watch construction, antiquities, etc.-when they were a necessary item. I inherited a radium dial (radioactive) watch from my grandfather and now knowing they caused people to become sick and die, I'm glad it broke shortly after receipt nearly 50 yrs ago (and I spent some time cleaning that haz waste site up in NJ-at the expense of people who wanted a watch that glowed 24/7 sans any batteries.)
Many long years ago in the bush war days, you had to keep time on guard duty to wake the next oke up. I had a very plain jane citizen with no luminous feature, as did most of the guys. So we would catch a couple of glow flies at last light and put them in a match box. A gentle shake and crack the box open a tad and there you go. No radioactivity to dispose of, just let the flies go at daybreak.

Upon further consideration, I'm going to wear this (strapped to my hat with belts from curio shops) from now on while hunting. It'll motivate me to stalk and bag intended game prior to it going off... $10K-akin to a starter rolex.
1603814737732.png

The lightning bug in America seems to have decreased considerably in recent decades, although they seem to be making a comeback. I suspect it has to do with the use of certain pesticides/herbicides now banned...
1603815452109.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross