What was your Second Safari all about

Yep. Unless Bots licenses become numerous and affordable (unlikely!)

#1 was for common plains game.
#2 was buffalo only with the requirement for hunting on foot only and shoot iron sights at 25 to 30 yards.
#3 was for less common plains game and specialized mountains game.
#4 (Sept 2020) will be focused on a monster free range bushbuck, a monster free range Vaal Rhebok, day bush pig, continuing the tiny ten (Duiker, Grysbok, Klipspringer), and getting a good Springbok.
#5 will likely be tuskless elephant and buff again.
For the Buffalo hunt, we will also be hunting on foot and shooting using open sights at a distance not to exceed 50 yards.
Although I will give you this concession - I will be taking at least the first shot off sticks.

Dangerous game was on my list for the second and third safaris.

My first, three years ago, was all hunting. We hunted hard for 7 days and 10 animals. I had a list of 5 head but somehow, a good trophy kept getting in the way and was added to the list.
My second was more relaxing. I wanted a buf so I flew into Kimberley and met my PH there. We stayed a night there, then drove to a beautiful farm in the hunting area. We planned to spend three days hunting buf and sable but lucked out and got both the day after we got there. Then it was a long drive down to the lodge at Kleinpoort. Leisurely pg hunting for the rest of the trip.
Third safari was last year with eland and black impala in mind. It took some doing and an overnight stay in another area but I got my monster eland. Back to Two Waters for pg. Collected a copper and a white springbok and a black impala. Weather was not very cooperative and it rained the last few days so the hunting wasn't very good. I didn't mind too much because we got to see some local country.
Still haven't got my warthog. I think if I go back I want to hunt the Caprivi. I'd love to be in the midst of a big herd of buf, if no more than to see what it feels like. Of course I wouldn't pass up a good head, either.

Dangerous game was on my list for the second and third safaris.
Which ones?
Just a guess that it was Buffalo on #2 and Elephant on #3...am I close?

Which ones?
Just a guess that it was Buffalo on #2 and Elephant on #3...am I close?

buffalo and lioness on #2 and yes elephant on #3

Curious:
What about in terms of location? Similar to first time, or something totally different?

I forget who, but there is one reputable sponsor here that openly markets themselves as both a hunting and photo safari establishment. I would looking for someone like that.

If you are wanting to hunt only 50% of the time spent, some hunting outfitters who offer some day trip activities kinda on the side may be 1) a little annoyed and 2) not have the right personel / logistics down

Just my thoughts

Curious:
What about in terms of location? Similar to first time, or something totally different?
We are most likely going back to one of the camps we were in this year for Buffalo.
It's also close to the Lion tour we want to do, so it is convenient...not to mention a beautiful camp with an amazing staff.
However, we are open to suggestions from our outfitter as well as the membership here.
We don't want to be rigid in our plans, it's Africa and on holiday...we should relax and enjoy it.

I’ve done three safari’s so far - all plains game. You’ll get different responses from each person who posts here...for me, I wanted to make sure I had the full plains game experience while I had the legs to hunt in the mountains. My Vaal (over 10.5”!) probably represents the pinnacle of my PG hunting and taken on my third safari.

I know at this point my goal is DG. Cape Buffalo...perhaps a Hippo with a smattering of random PG of opportunity here and there. I wanted to go on my DG hunts without any distraction of a hunt not finished. I’m thinking my next will be in perhaps...2 years.

2022 perhaps...I love the idea. :)

2nd safari coming up in June. Plan to spend a few days visiting friends in Cape Town, then 7 days hunting with KMG in the Eastern Cape. It will be a family affair, taking along my 8yo and 10yo sons. If I am able to pick up a good trophy or two, that's great, but really looking to focus the trip on the kids and making sure they get some good opportunities.

I have taken only 2 safaris, 2018 and 2019 have 2020 booked. Yes I am hooked. First safari was great and I took 8 plains game animals. Second safari which was in June of this year I decided I needed a Cape Buffalo and am glad I did. Also hunted a Sable and Nyala. Trip 3 will be a relaxing trip, sightseeing a day or two, bird hunting a few days and the rest of the time looking for Bushbuck, warthog and what ever else just presents itself. Really looking forward to seeing friends I have made over there and just being there. Hunting with same PH and outfitter as first two hunts, Gerrit at Bos en Dal Safaris.

My first trip was with my dad and 12-yea old son, 3 generations, a trip I never had when I was a kid. We planned to hunt and do a few excursions to Etosha and the skeleton coast. Our 6 animal list more than tripled. The best moments were when time seemed to slow down.
Trip #2 is in June. My wife and daughter are coming this time. My son will be 14. The ladies don’t hunt, but I’m curious to see if that changes.
The goal: trying to get my wife and daughter a chance to experience the moments in Africa when you are stunned by the beauty of the outdoors. I want to savor those slow moments.

This reminds me of when you hunt alone and take an animal. There is a very special time when you get to sit quietly next to the animal and be thankful to the animal and creation and the circle of life that we are all tightly woven into. Those are powerful moments.

Like you my first trip was rushed, all about the hunt, 7 days, ended up with 7 animals.

The second trip was 10 days: for 5 animals and more time to explore and to see Africa. A day river trip to a game reserve, East London, and Grahamstown.

My planned third trip, May 2020, is 9 days to hunt hippo, eland and gemsbok in the west cape, then 5 days 4 nights split between two different lodges/camps for photo Safari in KNP, and back to East Cape for 6 days to visit and hunt jackel, baboon, and other PG, nothing on a list, and just visit with friends.

My first safari was a fantastic 8 day hunt with Kowas in Namibia, chasing the Kudu and Oryx which were the #1 species on my African wishlist for a long time.

Our second safari, the focus was on Nyala and Bushbuck, so Marius at KMG Safaris on the East Cape was the obvious choice. This morphed into a full month in Africa with my wife and two teenage daughters. We hunted a week with KMG, hired a car then drove the garden route to Cape Town, rounding out the second week there. Then we flew direct to Vic Falls, did the full tourist thing there including Chobe NP, helicopter tour etc. Finally back to RSA and a week relaxing at Sun City for the kids, which was a fantastic way to wind down and wrap up an amazing family adventure.

For our third safari this year, I went with a group of Aussie hunters and tackled the RSA mountain species with KMG. Vaal Rhebok, Mountain Reedbuck, Barbary Sheep plus a great Bushpig made for a memorable hunt.

That might give you some idea for themes/plans for your next safari, all the best with it. I'll be heading back with Marius next year to chase some dangerous game. It sure gets under your skin....

I only have one safari under my belt, but I believe we did a lot during the 10 days we were in SA. We hunted hard for the first 5 days, and I was hunting plains game and for a total of 6 animals. Unfortunately my wife is not a hunter, but she hung in there with me and went out every day. We had arranged several excursions, and I'm glad I did. The first one and it was in the middle of our safari was to have an elephant ride, and it was fantastic riding on the back of these monsters. Each one of us was on own elephant with the guide, and I believe that we rode in the back of the elephants for about 2+ hours. At the end we took pictures with the biggest bull elephant they had. The second excursion we did and it was at the end of our safari was to the Marakele Animal Sanctuary in Thabazimbi, we got there very early and we were able to play with a 3 month old albino lion cub for almost 1 1/2 hour. That my friend put the icing on the cake, and my wife and I were like two 5 year olds playing with the cub. The handler noticed that the cub felt comfortable with us, and she stepped back, and just watch from a distance while we play with this beautiful creature. I don't know if I'll be able to top that off. Still today my wife and I talk about it. Then we did a little shopping in town.

Second was Luangwa river.
Nothing that followed was comparable to this valley.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross