What type and brand of cell phone do you use?

Here in the USA the 3 major networks (AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile) are phasing out the 3G phone signal.
I found out this week by losing the ability to call or receive calls, that my phone is 3G even though I have read it's 4G LTE. --Samsung Galaxy S7
I am debating on going back to a non-smartphone. Talk, Text, and Camera only
My last 2 phones were also IP68 rated for durability because of the sometimes-harsh environments I have found myself in. (S7 and Casio Boulder)
What types of phones do you use? Have you gone non-smartphone? Do you consider the IP68 rating? How do you like what you have?
-Jeff

Apparently your phone is 4G capable. I would check with your network purveyor and see if your "account" is restricted/throttled to 3G. Perhaps an network access upgrade is all you need. It is a favourite past time of networks in Canada to find ways to up-charge for any little change in access.
Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 09.33.29.png

Apparently your phone is 4G capable. I would check with your network purveyor and see if your "account" is restricted/throttled to 3G. Perhaps an network access upgrade is all you need. It is a favourite past time of networks in Canada to find ways to up-charge for any little change in access.
View attachment 509968
I didn't see the same page but did see it as 4G capable. Went into the store and asked, then got sent over to one of the "techs" and ended up in an arguement. Might try another store. Thanks

I use Verison for my service and I finally went from an iPhone 8 to an iPhone 13, I still have an iPhone 6 laying around some where

New Galaxy phones are highly water resistant. I put mine in swim trunks over the summer and got in pool without thinking. About 10 minutes later I realized it and simply took it out of my pocket, let it air dry for an hour or so while I was still in pool, and it worked no problems.

Almost impossible to get away from smart phones these days.
Can you take under water photos with it ?

Iphone13 Pro, AT&T, with AT&T, when I go out of the country, I pay 10.00 a day for International Day Pass, and if there is cell service, my phone works. It's worked pretty well on my last 2 safaris to South Africa.

The wife and I had high end flip phones until we both got Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultras early 2021. My S21's screen died and I now have an S22. They're huge but we like them for the CPU's processing capability, camera and screen size.

Can you take under water photos with it ?
Can't say that I've ever tried. It's got the IP68 rating for water resistance to 1.5m for 30 minutes.

Theoretically you could do some underwater photos at shallow depths, but I'd personally hesitate to do it very often.

2 - iPhone 11's for now with AT&T as the provider for one and Verizon for the other (work & personal).

I avoided iPhones for many years, but now, I have to admit that they seem to be more reliable than any of the "droids" that I had used before.

After 6 years, I still don't know how to do much of "the iCloud" stuff.

In my case (probably because I live in a rural area), I would rather the phone work as a phone and not drop calls while driving than tell me that I need to exercise more.

If I was going to start fresh today, I would pay "Visible" $30/month (maybe less now) for unlimited everything and just port in my best iPhone and buy "unlocked" phones until something changes.

My "plan" hits me for about $75/month/phone, even though all of my phones were paid for years ago.

Can't say that I've ever tried. It's got the IP68 rating for water resistance to 1.5m for 30 minutes.

Theoretically you could do some underwater photos at shallow depths, but I'd personally hesitate to do it very often.
I have always wanted to try that.

I am debating on going back to a non-smartphone. Talk, Text, and Camera only
Lots of answers on smart phones, so I'll address the other half of your question.

I would suggest that you look into one of the Kyocera ruggedized phones. There are various models, all of which are various permutations of "Dura-" something or other (DuraXA, DuraXV, Dura XTP, etc.). They are capable of talk, text, and camera functions. It also has the option to check email and to browse the internet, but those capabilities are not important for my use. I will note that the buttons are rather small and texting or browsing would be difficult; but I don't care to be bothered with texting, so that's not an issue for me.

The big advantage is the fact that it can (and has been) dropped from various heights onto rock and concrete and -- much like the Timex commercials of old -- it takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Pick the model that best suits you (4g, 5g, whatever) and look for the best deal. I've had good luck purchasing used ones; just make sure that the phone is "unlocked" when you buy it and take it to your carrier of choice for activation on their network.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Well, I finally got some results, though not exactly what I wanted.
I took the phone to a CORPORATE (not franchise) store and told them the problems I had been having. The guy checked software versions, installed a new sim card, tried some different settings, all with no luck. He suggested that maybe the antenna had a problem and that I should take it to a repair place down the road. It was late and they were closed. It would have to wait for another day.
----Two days later. I took the phone to the repair place and told them the story that Verizon sent me there to get the antenna checked. They took my phone in the back and ran a diagnostic test. Everything ok. I then stopped at the previously mentioned corporate store on the way home. The store "tech" and a remote "tech" both were logged into my phone and were adjusting settings, tried a third sim card, installed and uninstalled stuff, numerous reboots, all with no luck. Last resort complete reset. I told them m pics were on a memory card that we could remove, but what about contacts, music, etc. No Problem use the backup feature, bada bing, bada bam, bada, boom.
Phone works. I have my pictures, but lost all my contacts, my music, all app data, and somehow only half of my texts. total time: 3 trips to 2 Verizon stores, 1 trip to repair place. about 5 hours
----While I am still interested in the phones people here have, use, and have used in RSA, I don't need a new one quite yet.
The moral of the story for me anway..... Don't store all of your important stuff on your phone and expect the backup/restore or cloud to save your data. Your best bet is still paper and pen.

Lots of answers on smart phones, so I'll address the other half of your question.

I would suggest that you look into one of the Kyocera ruggedized phones. There are various models, all of which are various permutations of "Dura-" something or other (DuraXA, DuraXV, Dura XTP, etc.). They are capable of talk, text, and camera functions. It also has the option to check email and to browse the internet, but those capabilities are not important for my use. I will note that the buttons are rather small and texting or browsing would be difficult; but I don't care to be bothered with texting, so that's not an issue for me.

The big advantage is the fact that it can (and has been) dropped from various heights onto rock and concrete and -- much like the Timex commercials of old -- it takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Pick the model that best suits you (4g, 5g, whatever) and look for the best deal. I've had good luck purchasing used ones; just make sure that the phone is "unlocked" when you buy it and take it to your carrier of choice for activation on their network.
Have you used them overseas?

Have you used them overseas?
Yes, I have used them in Europe and in RSA. As long as I can get a signal it's good. Just had to turn on the overseas calling package from whichever carrier I was using at the time (AT&T or Verizon).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross