Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
When we hunt moose we often take a few evenings to chase up grouse by the roads or in the woods. I have lugged my 12 G but that is just too much, and I have used a bow, which is fun. But, I am thinking of picking up a shotgun of some sort for this - perhaps a 410 or 20 G. Maybe an old SxS. I think the 410 would be perfect. What do you folks think?

Trogon

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DU, RGS/AWS, NRA
Hunted
Eastern Cape, SA; KY, OH, IN, WI, AL, KS, ND, TX-USA
20 gauge is perfect. I use a Beretta semiauto or Browning Citori O/U.
Heavy Field or Express loads in 7.5 or 6 shot.

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
I have an Arietta 20 ga SxS with open chokes I use. It weighs around 5 1/2 lbs and is very nice to carry in the mountains of Colorado for dusky grouse. I prefer #5 or 6 shot. It doesn’t take much to bring them down, but they can be heavily feathered once the snows and cold start.
During our big game seasons I have carried some low velocity 30-06 rounds using a 110 FMJ at about 1,900 fps to poke a hole in them pretty quietly and not ruining meat.

What ever you get to use, you’re going to have great fun chasing them especially if you have a dog! I’m envious!

Professor Mawla

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
I always use my Laurona 12 bore side-lock ejector ( loaded with Eley Grand Prix 2 1/2 inch number 6 birdshot shells ) for hunting driven grouse , in the moors of Great Britain .

2A8C1EB3-53A0-4415-8B7C-3562BF8A04DA.png

Perhaps a 28 bore might suit your needs ?

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
After a long day chasing moose I can imagine you'd like less weight to haul around.

Are you taking the shots on the ground or in the air?

.410 if you are just doing stationary head shots.
20 ga if you are allowing them to take the wing.

Barrel configuration is just personal choice.

Have fun.

One option for a throw it in the trunk gun.

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 07.12.48.png

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
After a long day chasing moose I can imagine you'd like less weight to haul around.

Are you taking the shots on the ground or in the air?

.410 if you are just doing stationary head shots.
20 ga if you are allowing them to take the wing.

Barrel configuration is just personal choice.

Have fun.

One option for a throw it in the trunk gun.

View attachment 380925
Oh yes, I did consider this, but I am more of a Westley Richards man...

I like it when they take flight, but I admit to smoking one or two when they just scamper around on the ground. It's neat how quickly they disappear!

I am probably a perfectly average shot with a shotgun, so 20 g sounds like my gun.

My friend had a 410 that was fun and very light.

dobber

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Have an older Lakefield moss berg bolt action 410, great gun and needs to get back out in the field. When i went on a Caribou hunt i took a simple single shot 20 gauge for ptarmigan, easy enough to break apart and put in the pack

JimP

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
I have been using a Stroger SxS in .410 now for over 25 years and that little shotgun has bagged more grouse than any of my other shotguns. If I am out in the woods hunting other animals and grouse season is on that little shotgun is with me.

Now if I am targeting grouse then I pack my Ruger OU 20 gauge.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Ruffed Grouse are relatively tough birds but tend to flush close in thick terrain - sharptail are somewhat tougher birds and tend to flush at relatively long range. Spruce grouse are too stupid to be considered a game bird - well maybe by Canadians. ;)

A .410 would be a prescription for frustration and wounded / lost birds. I only use mine on raised and released plantation quail. For ruffed grouse, a 20 bore OU or SxS with Skeet 1 Skeet 2 chokes in 26" or 28" barrels is about ideal. For sharpies I use a 12 bore SxS with either 30" or 32" Mod/ Full chokes.

Heavy loads are absolutely unnecessary - particularly in a light 20. A standard 7/8 ounce field load in no 6 or 7 1/2 will cleanly kill any ruffed grouse that ever lived. A standard 12 bore field load of 1 1/8 ounces of number 6 will cleanly take sharptail.

For spruce grouse, I would suggest fast handling, light weight club or a non-magnum rock.

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
Spruce grouse are too stupid to be considered a game bird - well maybe by Canadians. ;)
My son chased one with a 4" knife and almost got him

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
The advice about a 410 is greatly appreciated. I assumed it would be fine. It's so light as to be very tempting

JimP

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
You also have to consider if you plan on flushing them to where they fly or just ground pound them.

For me as long as it is legal I take them when I see them. Either on the ground or sitting in a tree. Quite often if they fly they can be tracked down.

This is where a light .410 shooting 3" shells with #6 shot work quite well.

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
Have an older Lakefield moss berg bolt action 410, great gun and needs to get back out in the field. When i went on a Caribou hunt i took a simple single shot 20 gauge for ptarmigan, easy enough to break apart and put in the pack
Having one that doesn't add much to the load would be best. Walking in the crazy woods where moose go gets tiring enough!

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
There are grouse and there are grouse. If you are hunting them in New England coverts, overgrown New Brunswick farmland, etc. you get the wild version of the ruff. Although i shot competitively at a master class level for years I would use a 28 on these birds, not a .410. As you are moose hunting you may be hunting the ‘other’ grouse. Uneducated, offering ground shots, if shot on the wing likely after you nearly kicked it. I would still lean to the 28 on these birds but the .410 would work if you are quite good with it.

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
If you're shooting them on the wing, a 20 or 28 would be the most efficient.

I never thought about a 28 Guage. Just reading about it now. This looks like a serious contender

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
offering ground shots, if shot on the wing likely after you nearly kicked it.
Haven't kicked one...yet. got fairly close though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tamago037

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?