What to hunt in Texas

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
The wife and I opened a restaurant a year and a half ago. We haven’t gotten away since. Over Christmas we are going to be closed a few days to get some time off to get away. We have it narrowed down to Nashville or to go to Texas and hunt something. I haven’t been to Texas before, which is the point, do you guys have any input as to what and where I could find for us to hunt that time of year?

Thanks.

After a year and a half, I bet you are ready for some time in the great outdoors!

There are so many possibilities, you can hunt native or exotic game, high fence or low fence, waterfowl, upland game birds or pigs and varmints. We are Blessed in Texas with a lot of variety and you are coming at a very good time of year.

How much time do you have and is there a particular part of the State you want to see? I'm always happy to help, you can reply here or PM me whatever you prefer.

Hello, we have openings right there around Christmas and would live to have y’all. I can guarantee you will have an amazing trip. We can accommodate anything from upland birds to Texas exotics.

If you are coming during Christmas you will be here in whitetail deer and duck season. In addition there are ranches that offer almost any African species you want (for a price). Feral hogs are available at very reasonable prices--and if you book an exotic hunt a lot of the outfitters will offer the hogs at no charge, so shop around.

There are some awesome places close to DFW that hold big deer. look into the the Hagerman draw. Some 170’s killed there almost every year. There are a few other places that hold some giants but I can’t give you those. I gotta keep those quiet. Here are a couple pics of some north Texas public deer.

I always recommend a Nilgai hunt in South Texas, great eating and a hunt very similar to African PG. However, given the state of affairs on our southern border, I would suggest looking at the Hill Country for deer or further west for an Aoudad hunt. The panhandle area also has some good options and puts you 500-800 miles or so from the southern border. Texas is a large state with lots of options

While I respect a man from Shreveport's opinion about hunting Texas, :rolleyes: I would strongly recommend an Aoudad or Nilgai hunt. The border will not be an issue in the slightest on either of those hunts.

Give these guys a call. https://www.desertsafaris.net/fraoudadsheep.asp I can personally highly recommend them. They can set up a free range hunt for Aoudad in the Southwest or Axis in the Hill Country. You will see a ton of game and nothing behind a fence.

The King Ranch would be a classic place to hunt free range Nilgai. https://kingranchhunting.com/types-and-rates/

I have some great Aoudad, whitetail, and just about every other Texas exotic you can think of plus some. Mule Deer Season will be closed by then but we can definitely get you on anything else

Thanks for the link, I bookmarked it for after I move to Texas and can take the meat home easily.
It is a great place to hunt. One of the packages where they provide quarters is the best experience. There is also a quality meat processor / taxidermist in downtown Kingsville. Would be a perfect outing for that fast .300.

Depending on how far south you’re heading, you can still catch some pretty good rut activity for whitetail at around that time! But Texas has pretty much any species from any corner of the globe that you can hunt in just about any style you want to hunt.
It might be easier if you gave us some species y’all would be interested in as well as what style of hunt you’re looking for, and maybe even budget?

I am going to have to disagree about the border. That depends where on the border you are. I would avoid anywhere around Del Rio. You will have to go way west of Del Rio for it not be be a problem. There are a lot of law enforcement and guard in Eagle Pass and Del Rio, you would most likely not find a hotel/motel room and if you did you would be paying the “rack” rate. Huge unlawfully crossing problem and when they cross they are being arrested for criminal trespass. The state is processing one every ten minutes, seven day a week from 8am to 10:30pm.

Last edited:
Before booking any exotics, I would check into the 2021 winter kill of nilgai and axis. A ton of animals were lost in that freeze.

I have hunted Nilgai on King Ranch since the freeze. Took my best one ever. We saw quite a few (they are all free range) and several other mature bulls.

Can’t speak for Axis density in the Hill Country.

We like to walk. So probably spot and stalk or better yet get out and walk a couple hours at a time.

Hills fine, wife not a fan of steep stuff though.

Not looking for crazy serious hunting. Out to have some fun not bust our ass, that is for another trip.

Rifle hunters. Not into the long range craze.

We both would rather shoot a couple animals then hunt the whole time for one animal.

Species not real important. Not really sure what is available at what price. Or what can be hunted together in one area.

Not really sure what is a realistic price for hunting 4-6 days for a couple animals in Texas.

Eastern or northern probably drive. Southwest probably fly.

Not to worried about the border as lone as we have a place to stay.

Thanks a bunch for the responses so far, I’m starting to at least know what to ask.

Reactions: BWH
I always recommend a Nilgai hunt in South Texas, great eating and a hunt very similar to African PG. However, given the state of affairs on our southern border, I would suggest looking at the Hill Country for deer or further west for an Aoudad hunt. The panhandle area also has some good options and puts you 500-800 miles or so from the southern border. Texas is a large state with lots of options
@375 Ruger Fan, the Nilgai hunts are a great free range exotic to hunt but I heard there was a significant die off on the King Ranch and they reduced quota so currently booked out through’22

King Ranch Nilgai are a great hunt for a unique animal, big and eats well. Hogs are available as well maybe a whitetail depending on budget. King ranch is over 800,000 acres.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!