What to do with your warthog?

I want to play with the load a little more, just because, but that will sure work if tweaks don't improve it!

I've read about some 300 WSMs not likely 180 grain ttsx, mine obviously does though.

Royal, this is my EC Warthog on the right... The big ones are out there..

1186685_10151878643079662_387015019_n.jpg

Jerome,

Thanks for sharing this full mount. Certainly different, and certainly impressive!

@Royal27 ,

When are you heading to see Tootabi Valley?

Mid July.

Like I think I said elsewhere there isn't much planned and I don't have too much of a list this trip, but pigs are on the menu. And that is plural. Going to have some fun shooting them.

Best of luck Royal!

So I will hopefully be taking a warthog soon and am kinda torn on what to do with it as far as mounting goes. I've seen a few pics of skulls on plaques which I have liked, a few tusks on plaques which are growing on me, and of course shoulder mounts. I like the fact that they are ugly and unique, just not sure about getting a shoulder mount. Torn on shoulder or skull, with the saving of just skull going toward helping with the shipment of the crate, or going towards a half life, or pedestal base for floor display!

I guess I'm asking for general opinions, maybe some of your could share your mounts on here?
I just received mine yesterday. I wanted a desk skull display. I went with a Zebrawood base shaped like Africa and a stainless steel support rod. It looks so good my wife stole it for a coffee table . Guess I am s.o.l. for the desk after all.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hahahahahahaha!!! That would traumatize any kid from the Western world and give him nightmares for life!! Hahahahahaha! That thing is HILARIOUS!! Okay. Okay. Maybe I'm just biased because I think warthogs AND baboons are way too TOO ugly to even hunt. I shot one only because my PH told me to. Warthog that is. Lord knows, I fell into enough of their holes. He was pissed because the Mountain Reedbok we had been stalking at the time, got away. As we sat there, he saw a warthog below us drinking water. All I saw was the animal's head as it moved up and down as he drank. My PH told me to shoot 3 inches right of the animal's left eye. I did as I was told. The warthog bolted. I remember thinking (out loud), thank God I missed him. I would die if I only wounded the animal. My PH then told me.....you didn't miss him. The warthog dropped 100 yards from where I shot him. It was a straight frontal heart shot. Go figure. When you have a great PH, pays to do what he tells you to do. It was no trophy by the length of his horns. I had his horns made into bottle openers for each of my sons and gave them as stocking stuffers. :LOL: That ugly creature is never going to find a place in my home. But then again....I said the same thing about an African buffalo. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: P.S. The meat IS amazing! :)
10665185_782202358485448_6162981112694360737_n.jpg

Cool idea for the tusks Christina

Africa wouldn't be the same without the pigs and it's comforting to see that I'm not the only person with the dilemma on how to do them justice after the fact. The solution for both a shoulder and skull mount? Try get two the same!!

2O6A3059.jpg

2O6A3306.jpg

The first was definitely older and having a broader, blacker head will have heaps of character with his broken tusk and massive warts. The second boar will make a great skull mount and be be a permanent reminder of a fantastic hunt!

2O6A3361.jpg

Loaded up and heading home..........

I wasn't even going to shoot a warthog when I went to Namibia, but changed my mind after seeing them. Then I wasn't planning on doing a shoulder mount, was just gonna do the skull thing. Then I saw saw some mounts, so I also opted for a set of replica tusks and had the mount AND the skull done. Very happy with them!

Unfortunately I didn't get a pig this time...... so that is 1 of many reasons to go back again...and again!!

Here's a few tusks I did European style and a mount I finished up recently

tusks holder.jpg
WH sm.jpg

As I was scrolling through the thread, when I saw this pic; I thought you had made a Wart Hog cape
2o6a3361-jpg.156831

Now thats exactly what I want for chilly days.....and when your daughter's new date is coming over for the first time

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jessica87G

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross