What to do with a giraffe

I thought I read that you cannot bring Giraffe into the USA now, the govt put a ban on imports.am I right or wrong as I would like to bring a few leg bones back for pistol grips and a couple of bone carvings would be great
I have no idea I am based in Iceland - so different rules !

i never considered one but in 2005 the land we hunted had them and the land owner had an old problem bull past breeding age that wouldnt let the younger bulls breed.he wanted him taken out so i did.the mount is nothing fancy but of all the trophys we have,hes the star of the show.

mypictures042.jpg
mypictures355.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I read that you cannot bring Giraffe into the USA now, the govt put a ban on imports.am I right or wrong as I would like to bring a few leg bones back for pistol grips and a couple of bone carvings would be great
You can still bring your giraffe back to the USA

Buy a house with a circular stir case from the basement to the main floor. Have a giraffe shoulder mount made. The base will be in the basement and the head will be at your chest or head level on the main floor. Our former SCI Chapter President has had that done.

I too thought that I would never hunt a giraffe, but in 2018 in Limpopo all that changed. The concession had an old cow with a maturing calf that she wouldn't wean and she wouldn't rebreed. As they had to feed animals because of drought conditions and they don't have a market to take old giraffes to like we do raising domestic livestock, it was a choice of offering her to a hunter. Make no mistake, this wasn't as easy at it may sound. I was hunting a specific animal identifiable by her distinct horns. Eventually I got her, not without a bit of adventure. I took everything home that I could. The four hooves are now bookends, the hide is tanned (but its huge so I don't know where it will go), two shin bones are scrimshawed and two are hopefully going to be used as ivory for handles on custom knives. All the work was done in Africa and it was affordable.

I love the hide of a giraffe and would tan it as a accompaniment for a rifle display.

+1 with Bruce.
A South African operator told me that he had purchased two young bull giraffe to get some genetic diversity on his place. The old bull had killed the two younger ones. A friend killed the old bull at a very reduced price. The meat, hide, head were all used. The new bulls were happier. A win-win scenario. Do old bull giraffe kill younger bulls? I don't really know, but if so....then who can possibly object to harvesting the damn thing? (Maybe a PH on this site can answer that.) Heck, I'll shoot an old bull giraffe....and I won't need my face blurred out in the fotos, either..... FWB
FWB - I have read a lot of your post and you are a good guy. I would just like to say some people in our community are operators think SF, they can't have their faces shown. Just a thought that might not have been considered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg