What to do with a Croc?

I took a pretty good croc in the Ugalla River many years ago. Awkward to find a place to display it. Finally put it at an angle attached to a wall along a staircase going to the second floor guest room. Took a visitor some time to get used to the monster lurking along the banister while walking up to a strange room at night. View attachment 406799

Yes & a Monster he is, around 15footer maybe, could we have some more details, where was he hit & what with ?

wipartimer, you are going to enjoy your croc hunt. Mine was one of my favorite! It can be the toughest shot in Africa IMO.
I’m still waiting on my skull (due within days!) from my 2018 hunt. I did receive the skin which was suppose to have been tanned into smooth leather…it wasn’t! It has been a nightmare trying to get the skull (cost me 3x of original quote!) Anyway, I only hope it gets here and it is actually mine.
Personally, if/when I do it again, I wouldn’t waist the money on the skin. You can pick a good skin from a tannery for a lot less than you pay to get one tanned. JMO
Pictures are the way to go IMO.
Best of luck!
C679DF28-AEA6-4FB1-8BF3-3DF02932072C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
We sold our two story house and I put the croc flat rug with head in warehouse for twenty years or so.. then gave it to a college. Cannot find a photo of the taxidermy

Yes & a Monster he is, around 15footer maybe, could we have some more details, where was he hit & what with ?
Sarge, as I recall the croc was 15 feet seven inches. The last day of a 35 day Tanzania hunt we were dropping old lion baits over a considerable area. My daughter in law had not gotten a good croc photo so early in the morning we tied a hippo hind quarter in shallow river water. That afternoon returning toward camp we stopped about a quarter mile from the bait spot but on the other side of river. We snuck quietly down and we’re surprised to see several small crocs motionless some distance from the bait . The mystery was solved a minute later when the huge croc exploded from the water shoving the big hippo hind quarter into the air with its mouth, then disappearing creating waves across on our side of the river. I thought whoa, “did the girls see that?” Indeed they had , both were plastered into the river bank, eyes as large as saucers. I rested my 300 Win Mag on my hand on a tree limb and the next time the croc went for the ragged old bait I shot him in the back of its head at 200 yards. We had to drive 5 miles to find a river crossing then back to the croc. The carcass could be seen in the water surrounded by small crocs. I walked out and secured a rope which broke when we attempted to pull it from the water. We eventually cut a path for the lorry and drug the old flatty out with wench and cable. A nice conclusion for a great, lengthy safari. Kindest Regards

\

Wow, bloody fantastic @Happy Myles thank you so much for the great tale & glade I asked lol !

Yes I thought high 15footer or more, so you don't even have the skull now, that's a pity, one of that size is truly awesome .

I sort of collect skull & wish I had kept some of my earlier skulls not knowing then it was a option & how cool they were !

PS sounds like you could write us a great passed hunt report & from the looks from a few fantastic areas/hunts ?

Nice I need to get me one of them & I think a 12footer to match my Salty but I hear 12foot Gators are very hard to find & that is a big Bugger ?

Haha we are dragging this poor post off a bit, I hope the OP is Ok with that as all good info ?

@AtlBGhunter yes I suppose that is where you will find big ones, where you need to draw & areas get a little less pressure, 6 years wait & then one hunt, well done ?

I was thinking of Texas as I had a hunter of mine telling me they had some huge ones there ?

Picture is of my Croc taken in Moz on Cahora Basa a few years ago. Great fun but I would second the idea of a skull mount. The skull is a great conversation piece on the end table. If you want to do a skull mount and have a good shot try to break the neck instead of a brain shot. That way you preserve the entire skull. In my case I broke the neck with a 180gr Barnes TSX from my 300 Win and the Croc did not even wiggle. There was a little angle and I almost shot to far forward as I just nicked the extension of the jaw. It is not noticeable to most unless I point it out.

Having eaten, and enjoyed gator; I tried to talk the camp chef into cooking up some Croc for supper. The PH said I would not like it and the chef finally agreed to cook up some for me in addition to the regular supper. The chef battered and fried some small chunks of the tail. I tasted one piece and was glad he had also prepared the additional regular supper. In a word, that Croc was terrible tasting.

DSC00946 (1).JPG

I love all the info, suggestions and stories on this, thank you all and keep it coming! Another question- I realize this would need to be a very precise shot, is there a minimum caliber recommendation? I am comfortable in my ability to hut vitals with a rest out to 300 yards on plainsfsme with my .300 WM. But am much more precise with my .308.

I took a pretty good croc in the Ugalla River many years ago. Awkward to find a place to display it. Finally put it at an angle attached to a wall along a staircase going to the second floor guest room. Took a visitor some time to get used to the monster lurking along the banister while walking up to a strange room at night. View attachment 406799
Thats about the biggest i have ever seen. Well done sir.

Kanye knows what to do with a crocodile.....

vblis2znnen21.jpg

:D :D :D

Mine was a little over 12' and I honestly had no idea what I wanted to do with it when I shot it. I have no room for a full mount and I was told it was too large to use for leather. So, I dreamed up a half mount and incorporated a steenbok from the same trip. I don't have any pics of it in the house, but can share some that the taxidermist sent before crating. It looks much better in person than in the pics.

Crocodile # 1.JPG

Croc-Inside.jpg

Croc - Outside.JPG

Croc-Outside 2.JPG

Good day @wipartimer . I hope this message finds you well. Here are some ideas for you. I will start small and end with the big stuff. Hopefully this helps you going forward. Feel free to contact me for more ideas. Kind regards. Guy

Crocodile Full Skull on Shield - GG306 .jpg
Crocodile Skull Cleaned - FF 017.jpg
Crocodile Skeleton Mount - FF 492.jpg
Crocodile Leather - HH153.jpg
Crocodile Leather - HH154.jpg
Crocodile Leather - HH155.jpg
Crocodile Rugmount - dd 294.jpg
Crocodile_Nyala Combination Full mount - aa025.jpg
Croc fullmount FF015.jpg
Crocodile Fullmount on Floor Pedestal - HH156.jpg
Crocodile, Bushbuck Fullmount Combination - HH157.jpg
Crocodile Fullmount - HH046.jpg
Crocodile Fullmount - II004.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross