What to do when switching from lead to lead free bullets?

Hmmmm....:unsure:. I was hoping for a bit more information. There's got to be a ton of knowledge at Norma about this issue...

While the tips in the video are all correct, I think Norma is using the "lawyer safe" approach. Barnes has quite a bit of info on loading their TSX & TTSX as do many of the other all copper bullet manufacturers. The basics remain about the same for all of them. Start reduced and work up. And avoid an OAL that causes jamming the bullet shank into the lands when chambered. I think Barnes even recommends a little more bullet jump, up to about .035" for best accuracy…. somewhat different from the usual cup and core loading for accuracy. A little more jump is usually a good idea for most all hunting loads anyway. I still avoid smooth shanked, mono metal bullets (similar to the original BArnes X) that don't incorporate belted drive band designs. IMO that was the single biggest failure of the original Barnes X… what a miserable bullet design that was- in my experience anyway. Now, their banded TSX and TTSX are among the best. :)

From Barnes website:
"3. Where do I seat the Triple-Shock, Tipped TSX and LRX bullets?
Answer. We recommend seating these bullets .050″ off the lands {rifling} of your rifle. This length can be determined by using a “Stoney Point Gauge” or other methods. You do not have to seat the bullet at, or on one of the cannelure rings."

I have some seated over .070" off the lands in order to fit the magazine and they still shoot 1/2" groups. I can't complain about that.

If Norma ammo shoots as well as Barnes Vor-TX does in my 300WM, 30-06 and 375 H&H, I'll be using Norma as well as Barnes. Hard to justify reloading when the factory stuff does so well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg