What to choose from CZ as a weapon for Africa?

falco

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Member of
Polish Hunting Association
Hello gentlemen .
As CZ no longer produces the 550 model, and the new 557 does not produce calibers suitable for hunting in Africa, there is no such weapon available in stores. Since I have some friends in the Czech Republic, I know that you can still buy new 550 units in African calibers. My choice was three calibers. 404 Jeffery 416 Rigby and 416 Rem. Mag. Which one do you think would be appropriate? The availability of ammunition is not that important because I will load it myself.
I know there are many hunters here who hunted in Africa with such calibers. I am not going to DG at the moment but it may happen in the future.

Best regards

At least in the U.S. the 550 is still being sold. There is another thread where that info on the 550 being totally discontinued was posted as being incorrect.

Falco, to answer your question, any one of the three calibers would be just fine. Some of these larger calibers have feeding issues that can be sorted out by a knowledgeable gunsmith. Make sure that whichever caliber rifle you purchase feeds all of the rounds out of the magazine and you will be good to go.

THREE - SEVEN - FIVE

All three would work. For historical reasons my choice would be.
1. 404 Jeff
2. 416 Rigby
3. 416 Remington

@falco
I am in similar situation, looking for CZ550 or ZKK602.

If you live in Poland, and even consider buying in Czech repubilc, you may want to check options on
e-gun, web site.

A lot of offers there, delivery by post, if this is allowed in your country.
It may be easier solution, and more choices.

If you are lucky you may even find something better then CZ!

404 Jeffery. I have owned all of the above calibers and find the recoil of the 404 to be much tamer than the others. The 404 is a firm push, the Rigby a stronger push and the Remington more of a punch in my experience. Nothing you shoot will any of the three will know the difference but you will. My CZ 550 404 puts 3 400 grain Barnes TSX in one hole at 100 yards if I do my part.

As you reload, you might find the bullet selection better in 416 than 423. The buffalo won’t know the difference. You may want to check the price/availability of brass as well. My favorite among these is the 416 Rigby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoraceBrei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!