What to buy???

chiefdale

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Just got back from my first trip to Africa. Working on getting a report and some pictures up. I got to shoot a .375 over there and LOVED the gun. I am going to buy one and don't know where to start with bigger calibers. I have looked at older Ruger RSM and love the look and the quarter rib. If you had a budget of about 1500ish. Where would you start? I want it to be a rifle that my son can shoot his first trip to Africa and so forth. Thanks in advance.

Looking forward to the report! What .375 did you shoot over there? With $1500 you can look at quite a few options. I'd start with Winchester model 70 and CZ

I have a Ruger #1 in 375 H&H that I really like. You can get those for under your budget.

I have a Ruger guide 375 Ruger for $1500 you could get the stainless factory brake a good scope in the 1.25-5 range. I like mine.
Check one out a Cabelas
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Ruger-Guide-Gun-Bolt-Action-Rifles/1735523.uts

Screenshot (74).png

Last edited by a moderator:
CZ 550 would be my choice.

With the budget you've listed, I'd be all over a recent Model 70 Safari Express. For the record, I have a CZ 550 in 375 and love it, but if the Model 70 was available at that time, probably would have bought that.

You can buy a New Winchester Safari Grade in 375HH for less than 1500.00

If you can find an RSM, I would be all over it. Ruger can not now afford to make that rifle (I am told by a colleague who would know it's production cost would be 2.5 k+ before retail.) Second choice in new production in that price range would be the CZ.

You might be able to find a used SAKO Classic or Bavarian in 375 H&H.

Get the RSM if you can find one for that. If you decide to go with the 416 Rigby option, let me know via PM.

Just got back from my first trip to Africa. Working on getting a report and some pictures up. I got to shoot a .375 over there and LOVED the gun. I am going to buy one and don't know where to start with bigger calibers. I have looked at older Ruger RSM and love the look and the quarter rib. If you had a budget of about 1500ish. Where would you start? I want it to be a rifle that my son can shoot his first trip to Africa and so forth. Thanks in advance.
I can connect you to a RSM .375 Holland. PM me if interested.

I think it might be hard to find an RSM for $1500, but if you do snatch it up. The only one I've had the opportunity to handle was @Buff-Buster's, it's a damn fine rifle.

My .375 is a M70. A bit heavy for a .375, but crazy accurate and flawless out of the box. Not sure how old/big your son is, but that extra weight helps greatly with recoil and breaking into the bigger bores. Something to keep in mind.

If there is one thing Africa will do to you is make you spend more money as you plan your return!
As already said by the guys above, if you find a RSM in that price range in good shape, buy it. I do believe that the RSM in 416 Rigby is about as perfect weight for caliber that you can find in a production(past production). I think my 375 RSM is a bit on the heavy side for a 375 but it is wonderful to shoot as is the 416.
If you can't get the RSM, try the CZ and the M70 and decide which fits you better and go with it.
Cheers,
Cody

CZ 550 or older ZKK 602 in 375 H&H with a good scope fitted to QD mounts @ around 9 pounds would be my choice. It still is the King of the medium bores and the most useful rifle and caliber you can take to Afrika. It may be a little bit over gunned for some species, ideal for most and slightly undergunned for perhaps elephant only. As a client it would be the most sensible choice as it has been for 105 years.

I sure like the 9.3x64mm, but now you can get the modern equivalent, the 375 Ruger. I recommend either on a Mauser 98 or Winchester 70 platform. Or just get Ruger Alaskan and be done with it.

The 375 Ruger really is a great cartridge and is becoming more popular with a bit more choices in factory ammo becoming available. However if you want to have easily available ammo choices all over Africa, pretty hard to beat the 375 H&H;)

Hmm Its a tough call. I own both the M70 in 375 and the Ruger in 416 Rigby and they both make me smile when i pull the trigger. I originally put a deposit on a CZ550 in 375H&H but didn't get that new gun feeling so went back and changed to the M70 haven regretted it once. The M70 is well built, balances and is not overly heavy it also shoots too with Sub 3/4 inch 3 shot groups at 100m. On the CZ if you want a gun to tinker and up grade/semi customise (I mean the work that AHR do is phenomenal) then CZ is for you.

The Ruger is awesome- it wears a semi custom Circassian walnut stock and shoulders nicely. Its probably a tad barrel heavy but not enough to warrant cutting and re-crowning. I think the weight is suited to the calibre but would be heavy for a 375.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either my advice is by the rifle that fits you the best.

Cheers
TW

I have very limited frame of reference.. the only .375 I have ever shot is my Win 70... but.. I absolutely love the rifle.. Accurate and reliable out of the box.. and easy to obtain inside your budget..

I have very limited frame of reference.. the only .375 I have ever shot is my Win 70... but.. I absolutely love the rifle.. Accurate and reliable out of the box.. and easy to obtain inside your budget..
I have both. They are both great rifles, just different. On my trip to S.A. two months ago, I took the M70, because I have been shooting it regularly for 4 years! It is a 1992 model I bought used after it had already been to Africa twice. It is flawless in its operation!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maya Rani

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross