What stocks are you trading today

Why are interest rate hikes a bear market? A bear market means stocks are down, which is good time to buy but not to sell if you’re looking at long term investing. Companies have good earnings and that’s predicted to remain the case for the most part. The market follows earnings. High interest rates hurt borrowers but are good for lenders, especially if inflation starts to slow.
History. When rates go up the market goes down. Compare charts of interest rates and the stock market since WWII. You'll see a clear trend.

I guess it depends on your definition. Nest egg to me means money you can live off of the remaining part of your life. With that definition, a younger person’s nest egg needs to be even larger. At 22, the $35k is savings and investment that has not reached nest egg status yet.
The original definition of a nest egg is a single egg left in the nest of a bird to incite the hen to continue to lay in that nest. A hen will often times abandon a nest if all the eggs are removed. In working with endangered birds, biologists will keep removing fertilized eggs out of the nest so a bird that would reach a full clutch at say, 6 eggs, can lay 12 eggs or more in a season. The abducted eggs can be raised the nests of surrogates or artificially. It's a way of accelerating productivity above what nature would actually accomplish on its own. Applied to humans, it means having enough of a savings to incentivize continued contributions.

I have an original Rem 7 SA Synthetic, a rather plain but bedded Fajen for an M98 or Interarms Mark X LA, a Rem 700 SA Varmint Synthetic (black w/ rubberized gray grips), and a few others I'll trade. (The aforementioned stocks should hold their value better than anything the current administration does with respect to interest, our savings and tax $.)

History. When rates go up the market goes down. Compare charts of interest rates and the stock market since WWII. You'll see a clear trend.
There are markets that rise within certain points of interest rate hikes. Also, if the interest rate hike isn't severe, it can decrease inflation, boost certain segments of the economy (chart) and in the end, have more invested than prior. It's not just a linear, definite effect. People who needlessly pull their money out of retirement funds because of what they read in the MSM or other internet fallout, do more harm to themselves and others invested in the market.
1645665122639.png

Personal beliefs. Do you believe the value of the stock market is irrational? If no, buy Amazon because everyone got trained into online ordering during Covid and it will continue to flourish.

If yes, the market is overpriced, then don’t buy stocks.

Do you believe the only way to manage our debts is rapid devaluation of currency or inflation? If yes, precious metals as a hedge, surrendering stock market upside potential for protection of your nest egg’s buying power.
Precious metals values don’t change quickly otherwise gold would be $100,000 per ounce.

Last edited:
The original definition of a nest egg is a single egg left in the nest of a bird to incite the hen to continue to lay in that nest. A hen will often times abandon a nest if all the eggs are removed. In working with endangered birds, biologists will keep removing fertilized eggs out of the nest so a bird that would reach a full clutch at say, 6 eggs, can lay 12 eggs or more in a season. The abducted eggs can be raised the nests of surrogates or artificially. It's a way of accelerating productivity above what nature would actually accomplish on its own. Applied to humans, it means having enough of a savings to incentivize continued contributions.
But Never keep all of your eggs in one basket (in business, personal finances)! Diversify.

That’s all well and good in the context of birds but as the son and brother of stock brokers, we have another definition.

That’s an investment vehicle I haven’t heard about in nearly 20 years. Wow. Are you capped at $10000 a year?

can you buy them through your brokerage (Schwab/Fidelity) in an IRA, or do you have to still use treasury direct?

Do they have a maturity date? How long do you hold them and when can you sell them?
You have to buy then from Treasury Direct. The inflation component is 7.15 percent which you will receive for six months from the date you buy them. A new rate will come out in May which could be higher or lower. I bought 10000 in November and than 10000 in February. They are capped at 10000 per social security number. There is two components to the rate. The interest rate is zero the inflation rate is 7.15%. Unlike TIPS the interest can't go negative. Also no taxes on I-Bonds until they are cashed whereas TIPS are taxed when they pay interest or dividend best to hold in IRA.

You have to buy then from Treasury Direct. The inflation component is 7.15 percent which you will receive for six months from the date you buy them. A new rate will come out in May which could be higher or lower. I bought 10000 in November and than 10000 in February. They are capped at 10000 per social security number. There is two components to the rate. The interest rate is zero the inflation rate is 7.15%. Unlike TIPS the interest can't go negative. Also no taxes on I-Bonds until they are cashed whereas TIPS are taxed when they pay interest or dividend best to hold in IRA.
Oh you can cash an I bond after a year but loose the last 3 month interest.

There's a handy calculator...IF the rate were to remain the same, and you put 10K in every year for 10 yrs, you'd have ~150K+/-, but you will then be taxed 15K on the income (annual or when you cash it out or at the 30 yr mark.) if you don't have expenses to mitigate. This is a also great way for young people to save for their kids' college (not taxed on educational use). Not bad.

Ye
There's a handy calculator...IF the rate were to remain the same, and you put 10K in every year for 10 yrs, you'd have ~150K+/-, but you will then be taxed 15K on the income (annual or when you cash it out or at the 30 yr mark.) if you don't have expenses to mitigate. This is a also great way for young people to save for their kids' college (not taxed on educational use). Not bad.
Yes, these are attractive right now and are semi-liquid. Work great for education, especially. I do think rates will begin to drop later this year or early next year as inflation hopefully drops.

I have money invested in Vanguard Emerging Market Index. I wonder what will happen to the Russian stock in the index?

I have money invested in Vanguard Emerging Market Index. I wonder what will happen to the Russian stock in the index?
What's the symbol? I have MGV and MGK. Of those, MGV has been very good. MGK has been decent.

I think it’s about a year too late. Up 100 in a year.
And up nearly 20 since Tuesday close.

There will be wars and rumors of wars.... :E Angel:

It is oil or gas related, it will be fine it appears.

Yep - my wife doesn't even know where all my "nests" are...
Gee, ya know...I've never heard any guy say that. But if i did, I would've heard them ALL say it at hunting lodges and gun/car shows. LOL

someone from the peanut gallery just pointed out yet another stock, not specifically called out in the post...
1645908778660.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you