What stocks are you trading today

I'm boring I max out the I-Bonds. They're paying 7.1%. Also added to my short-term tips fund.

Y
I put my entire 401k into a brokerage account a couple weeks ago, my options are pretty limited and I didn't like any of them for the next few months.
You have good options now.

I'm boring I max out the I-Bonds. They're paying 7.1%. Also added to my short-term tips fund.

That’s an investment vehicle I haven’t heard about in nearly 20 years. Wow. Are you capped at $10000 a year?

can you buy them through your brokerage (Schwab/Fidelity) in an IRA, or do you have to still use treasury direct?

Do they have a maturity date? How long do you hold them and when can you sell them?

Just trying to pry here…..
What would you do with $35 k cash now that you would like to leave it and reevaluate 5 years,10 years from now?

What would you do with $35 k cash now that you would like to leave it and reevaluate 5 years,10 years from now?

Personal beliefs. Do you believe the value of the stock market is irrational? If no, buy Amazon because everyone got trained into online ordering during Covid and it will continue to flourish.

If yes, the market is overpriced, then don’t buy stocks.

Do you believe the only way to manage our debts is rapid devaluation of currency or inflation? If yes, precious metals as a hedge, surrendering stock market upside potential for protection of your nest egg’s buying power.

Disclaimer: I am not a financial planner and this is not financial advice.

The answer depends on long-term plans, risk tolerance, years to retirement, and what percentage of total saved/investment assets that $35K represents.

If that $35K is essentially noise and you are OK with potentially losing it all, parking it in a blend of alternative currencies (i.e. crypto) might provide the greatest upside and total return a couple years down the road (caveat: could also end up at zero). I'm not a crypto/blockchain/digital currency expert, so I couldn't recommend any specifics, but there are a lot of informational channels out there on the internet if you poke around. I'm personally not in crypto, but that's more because I am a Luddite and have a hard time wrapping my mind around the technology and mechanics of it all. I do think there's a future for these alternative currencies and the technology (blockchain) that backs them, but they're certainly not all going to be winners (in fact, most might go bust in a downturn). Perhaps I'm just too much of a wimp to put my money there.

If you want a more traditional "alternative" asset or investment with potential for very high returns in the future (but you're also OK with losing it), find a young entrepreneur or small business owner you like and trust and seed them with the money for a percentage of equity in their business. Like crypto, there's a lot of volatility and inherent risk in backing a business. You'll also have the annoyance of establishing a rough enterprise value and negotiating a fair purchase price for a share of the business. Plus your equity in this situation will be relatively illiquid and you won't be able to realize the investment as readily as putting your money in public equities or other more heavily traded products.

If you're looking for a solid mix of overall growth/return with some safety (i.e. not likely to go to zero, though there's still risk and volatility), a growth equity index (ETF, mutual fund) will likely provide the best blend. You can even find some slightly leveraged ETFs (ex. TQQQ, aka ProShares UltraPro QQQ) if you're looking to play a bit more with risk and juice returns.

If you're looking for relative safety (i.e. can't or really don't want to lose the funds) but still want to grow with the market and/or not get hammered by inflation, a basket of blue chip stocks or a mutual fund/ETF that trades in blue chips and/or relative value equities that have a history of weathering downturns might be the answer. Also, an ETF that closely mirrors an index like the S&P (ex. SPDR/SPY) would work in this spot, as well.

All that being said, no investment in equities or products that track equity indices is truly "safe", as a major downturn or catastrophic selloff of the markets can (and likely will) negatively impact them. And if you're interested in more "off-the-grid" or SHTF investments for times when civilization is coming apart at the seams (hard not to think this way during a 2+ year pandemic and the preamble of a major regional/global conflict), anything that provides a ready supply of food, clean water, shelter, and protection (i.e. guns & ammo) is probably the best place to put money.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I am not a financial planner and this is not financial advice.

The answer depends on long-term plans, risk tolerance, years to retirement, and what percentage of total saved/investment assets that $35K represents.

If that $35K is essentially noise and you are OK with potentially losing it all, parking it in a blend of alternative currencies (i.e. crypto) might provide the greatest upside and total return a couple years down the road (caveat: could also end up at zero). I'm not a crypto/blockchain/digital currency expert, so I couldn't recommend any specifics, but there are a lot of informational channels out there on the internet if you poke around. I'm personally not in crypto, but that's more because I am a Luddite and have a hard time wrapping my mind around the technology and mechanics of it all. I do think there's a future for these alternative currencies and the technology (blockchain) that backs them, but they're certainly not all going to be winners (in fact, most might go bust in a downturn). Perhaps I'm just too much of a wimp to put my money there.

If you want a more traditional "alternative" asset or investment with potential for very high returns in the future (but you're also OK with losing it), find a young entrepreneur or small business owner you like and trust and seed them with the money for a percentage of equity in their business. Like crypto, there's a lot of volatility and inherent risk in backing a business. You'll also have the annoyance of establishing a rough enterprise value and negotiating a fair purchase price for a share of the business. Plus your equity in this situation will be relatively illiquid and you won't be able to realize the investment as readily as putting your money in public equities or other more heavily traded products.

If you're looking for a solid mix of overall growth/return with some safety (i.e. not likely to go to zero, though there's still risk and volatility), a growth equity index (ETF, mutual fund) will likely provide the best blend. You can even find some slightly leveraged ETFs (ex. TQQQ, aka ProShares UltraPro QQQ) if you're looking to play a bit more with risk and juice returns.

If you're looking for relative safety (i.e. can't or really don't want to lose the funds) but still want to grow with the market and/or not get hammered by inflation, a basket of blue chip stocks or a mutual fund/ETF that trades in blue chips and/or relative value equities that have a history of weathering downturns might be the answer. Also, an ETF that closely mirrors an index like the S&P (ex. SPDR/SPY) would work in this spot, as well.

All that being said, no investment in equities or products that track equity indices is truly "safe", as a major downturn or catastrophic selloff of the markets can (and likely will) negatively impact them. And if you're interested in more "off-the-grid" or SHTF investments for times when civilization is coming apart at the seams (hard not to think this way during a 2+ year pandemic and the preamble of a major regional/global conflict), anything that provides a ready supply of food, clean water, shelter, and protection (i.e. guns & ammo) is probably the best place to put money.
It is essentially noise but wouldn’t want to lose it all. Might just go the stock route on something newer with potential. Maybe in health field.

As opposed to @rookhawk talking about preserving a nest egg, $35k is not a nest egg. I guess it could be part of a nest egg or the start of one but another zero or two would need to be added to consider an amount a nest egg. That said, nobody wants to lose a cent of any investment.

Perhaps you should consider good company stocks such as Microsoft, Apple, Qualcomm, Google, Home Depot and Berkshire Hathaway. If you invest, don’t put it all into just one. Spread it out. Do you think these companies are going away anytime soon? No, would be my guess. I started a new account in October 2020 with these stocks and a few others. Even after the last few days of losses on paper, I’m up 15%-60%, not including an oil stock I have that is up 80%. Go ahead and look at the 5-year returns on these stocks. I am not into day to day trading.

I think the Ukraine blip in the markets will turn around, just as the market did after the much deeper COVID drop. These dips scare a lot of people but they can actually be the best times to buy, if you have cash available. I wish I could have started my new account in March 2020 instead of October but the money was locked up in a different investment. On another note, I did have some flexibility in our IRA accounts and they did fairly well after COVID.

Despite inflation and the Ukrainian blip, successful companies are doing better now and earnings are good. Biden’s agenda has now stalled. Republicans should take back at least one of the houses in Congress, slowing Biden’s agenda even further. The “free” money handed out to some families and individuals during COVID is coming to an end and Republicans have little interest in renewing any of it. The Fed will start increasing interest rates soon. All of this should start helping to ease inflation causation.

If you don’t have a broker and want to consult with one that I trust, PM me and I will pass his name along. Disclaimer: I am not an expert and this is not financial advice. Everyone is in a different situation.

Ammunition. Honestly.

If it weren’t for the trouble procuring the raw materials, starting an ammo company would be a big no-brainer. Finding workers would also be an issue. We are living in crazy times due to a lot of bad decisions by our corrupt “leaders.”

following

I have a Grayboe I’d like to trade for a McMillan or Manners.

While I agree the Russia/Ukraine war is a blip, the 7 interest rate increases that Goldman Sachs is predicting is not and that’s a Bear market. IMO now is really not the time to jump into equities, unless you find something that is greatly depress and will not be more depressed in a bear market. I would say with a small amount to invest, generally an index fund is the way to go.

Just to let you know, my wife disagrees with me and has lost a lot of on money on paper.

I wouldn't recommend Amazon i bought over a year ago and I'm down $2400.

I'm no expert either but I put some in Blackstone Inc and it has produced a 133% gain in just over a year$121.78 per share now.

$35k is a nest egg if you're 22 but not if you're 52.
I guess it depends on your definition. Nest egg to me means money you can live off of the remaining part of your life. With that definition, a younger person’s nest egg needs to be even larger. At 22, the $35k is savings and investment that has not reached nest egg status yet.

While I agree the Russia/Ukraine war is a blip, the 7 interest rate increases that Goldman Sachs is predicting is not and that’s a Bear market. IMO now is really not the time to jump into equities, unless you find something that is greatly depress and will not be more depressed in a bear market. I would say with a small amount to invest, generally an index fund is the way to go.

Just to let you know, my wife disagrees with me and has lost a lot of on money on paper.
Why are interest rate hikes a bear market? A bear market means stocks are down, which is good time to buy but not to sell if you’re looking at long term investing. Companies have good earnings and that’s predicted to remain the case for the most part. The market follows earnings. High interest rates hurt borrowers but are good for lenders, especially if inflation starts to slow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IonaLannin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!