What size Electrical Power Converter do I need?

Shootist43

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
I already have adaptor plugs to go from SAs 240 V to US 120V. What I'm concerned about is what size power converter should I bring. These units are rated in watts. Small appliances use from 1 -15 AMPS. The smaller units i.e. 200 WATTs provide a little less than 2 AMPs. That will charge cell phones, tablets, laptops, camera batteries etc. but not much more. I would prefer to have a unit that provides for the use of a three prong (grounded) plug. I'd like to receive comments from AH members that have already been there as to what size unit they would recommend. I will be hunting with my two sons, do we each need to bring our own or is it possible to share?

Small (200 WATTs)

Medium (500 WATTs

Large 1,500 -2,000 WATTs.

The question to ask is do you really need a converter at all? Unless your wife is packing a curling iron and blow dryer you're probably OK. All of my computer, tablet, camera and phone chargers are already dual voltage input devices. Just get out the magnifier (at least I have to) and check the input voltage requirements on the charger.

The question to ask is do you really need a converter at all? Unless your wife is packing a curling iron and blow dryer you're probably OK. All of my computer, tablet, camera and phone chargers are already dual voltage input devices. Just get out the magnifier (at least I have to) and check the input voltage requirements on the charger.

Agree. I've never needed nor brought one.

I have the small and medium that you can use Shootist43.

All electronic communication devices (Ipad/computer/phones) are designed for both voltages - you don't even throw a switch. Sand rat is correct - the only potential items would be like a hairdryer and even those can be purchased that are multi-power.

My camera charger requires 110. Sadly Canon has not cottoned on that people travel.
See if your devices need a voltage converter. The ratings are usually on them.

For multiple users: The biggest deal is the amount of time required to charge and the number of devices as to how many adapters you'll need to bring.

You may still need plug adapters for the country you are going to or traveling through.

My camera charger requires 110. Sadly Canon has not cottoned on that people travel.
See if your devices need a voltage converter. The ratings are usually on them.

For multiple users: The biggest deal is the amount of time required to charge and the number of devices as to how many adapters you'll need to bring.

You may still need plug adapters for the country you are going to or traveling through.
Good Lord - how long have you had that Canon. ;) Our Nikons, one Sony, and Leicas are all mult-power.

My camera charger requires 110. Sadly Canon has not cottoned on that people trave

A single charge doesn't last you for the entire trip? :E Big Grin:

My Cannon camera charger that I purchased 2 years ago is multi voltage but it doesn't come with the plug configuration that is needed for what they use in South Africa on their 220volt system. But I was able to use the adapter that my outfitter had. As for hair driers they had them in the room already but no curling irons.

Also while my outfitter had various adapters in each room they had been used so much that the fits were very sloppy. But what I would do is to contact your hunt operator and see what he recommends that you purchase if you actually do need to purchase anything.

To the OP if you do need to purchase a power converter here is the formula for you W=E x I where E= Voltage and I= Amps

It's time for a new charger.

It's time for a new charger.

Na, just another thing that I would have to pack.

For that camera I have 4 battery packs and on my trip to South Africa they lasted for over 2000 photos, but then the outfitter also had the adapter so I was able to recharge 2 of them when I needed to. I still had enough power in the other two for the rest of my trip.

I travel quite a bit and have been taking an ANKER external battery (10000 ma h) with me for charging my cell phone and iPad on the go. It's output is a standard USB charger and charges up my iPhone 4 times before it needs recharged.

I am thinking that I am just going to purchase another slightly larger one, so I have two, and will use them to charge cameras, cell phones, iPad, Kindle, and whatever else while we are in SA this fall. That won't help with running things like a hair dryer, but it should cover all the electronics that will use USB chargers. The battery input recharge is multi-voltage so I will be able to recharge without any trouble. And I will be able to keep my electronics "off the grid" and not expose them to any unstable or fluctuating power sources, for what it's worth.

Will not need a converter in RSA... just the adaptors, which you can also buy in RSA at the airports etc.

You can get USB plug chargers for most of all cameras+ batteries today (check eBay). That means that you can reduce the numbers of external chargers. And with a powerbank you can also charge everything when the generators are shut down :)
(At least where I prefer to hunt - long away from "the grid")

My Cannon camera charger that I purchased 2 years ago is multi voltage but it doesn't come with the plug configuration that is needed for what they use in South Africa on their 220volt system. But I was able to use the adapter that my outfitter had. As for hair driers they had them in the room already but no curling irons.

Also while my outfitter had various adapters in each room they had been used so much that the fits were very sloppy. But what I would do is to contact your hunt operator and see what he recommends that you purchase if you actually do need to purchase anything.

To the OP if you do need to purchase a power converter here is the formula for you W=E x I where E= Voltage and I= Amps
This is not a major logistics or expense hurdle. You can buy adapters at every Best Buy in this country. Not to mention Amazon, ebay, google, etc.

@sierraone and everyone else who has hunted Africa with these plug adaptors (as listed by sierraone in the amazon link), are the other southern African countries the same, for instance the plug adaptor that works in SA, does it also work in Namibia, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique?

@sierraone and everyone else who has hunted Africa with these plug adaptors (as listed by sierraone in the amazon link), are the other southern African countries the same, for instance the plug adaptor that works in SA, does it also work in Namibia, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique?
I would like to say yes, based on my experience in other countries, but since I haven't been there I can't be positive. Most of the plug adapters now days, like the one on Amazon are multi-purpose and will work most anywhere. But to be on the safe side, you should probably just contact your outfitter or PH in these countries and ask them. Not to mention they will normally already have these adapters in camp, just maybe a little worn!

Thanks @sierraone ,

I am going to SA this year and hopefully next year one of the other southern African countries, just figured if I was going to buy the SA plug adaptor, might as well buy another at the same time while on amazon

the electric plugs are not the same... using a MULTI ADAPTOR will get your stuff charged, BUT it must have a 3 x point ROUND fitting for RSA and then a 3 x point FLAT for Zambia and Zimbabwe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WandaDetwi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross