What shows do most African Outfitters attend in the US?

Discussion in 'Hunting Conventions, Shows & Events' started by FallowJaeger, Mar 21, 2018.

1. FallowJaeger

FallowJaeger AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    I know that the outdoor show season is over for the most part. I'd like to know what specific shows most African Safari Outfitters try to attend. I'd like to talk in person as I prepare and plan for a Safari in the future. What shows would other forum members recommend to a newbie to attended in order to speak to Safari outfitters. Any recommendations would be great.

Philip Glass likes this.

2. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    The two largest shows are the DSC convention in Dallas, TX and SCI convention which returns to Reno, NV next year. To say that's where most African outfitters go is perhaps a bit strong, but they are the largest shows and so you'll likely see the most number of African outfitters possible.

Philip Glass and FallowJaeger like this.

3. FallowJaeger

FallowJaeger AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Thankyou Serapa Safaris for sharing. I know of those two major shows, guess I wanted to know if there are other shows that Safari outfitters go to besides those. I live in the Southeastern US and was looking to see if anyone visited closer than Nevada or Texas.

4. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Sir,
    Some of our sponsors attend shows all across the country. Very often the schedules are posted here in a thread announcing where they will attend. Some attend the smaller shows in markets you might not think about.
    A good start for you would be to check with the closest SCI chapter. For instance I belong to the Kansas City Chapter and our recent show hosted about 20 outfitters. Not knowing where in the Southeast you are but Birmingham, Atlanta and Nashville might be in striking distance for you.

Philip Glass and FallowJaeger like this.

5. PHOENIX PHIL

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    There at least used to be a show in Atlanta that a fair number of outfitters would go to. But as I recall it wasn't well regarded and I'm not even sure if they have it anymore.

There is a 10 day show in Harrisburg, PA that a number of outfitters go to. But a trip to PA may not be much further than a trip to Dallas.

After that there are any number of smaller shows all over the country. There is one here in Scottsdale starting today that I personally know at least one outfitter is attending. But this is very much smaller than DSC and SCI.

FallowJaeger likes this.

6. cpr0312

cpr0312 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe
    Other than DSC and SCI, consider the show in Denver and the Houston show.

FallowJaeger likes this.

7. mdwest

mdwest AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
    If youre in the South East, the NWTF show in Nashville (Feb 2019) might be a good place to start.. I know at least a few African outfitters attend there, to include at least one AH sponsor..

Texas is where you'll have the most overall options though I believe.. youve got DSC, HSC, and multiple Texas Trophy Hunters Assn shows that happen throughout the year.. all of which have African outfitters present..

FallowJaeger likes this.

8. jeff

jeff AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    I like the Western Hunting and Conservation Expo in Salt Lake City. There were about 30 African outfitters there this year, we've attended the last 7-8 years and have booked two African trips there, one in Namibia and one in SA.

FallowJaeger likes this.

9. wesheltonj

wesheltonj AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Benefactor-Life NRA, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    SCI is the biggest show, but you must be an SCI member to attended and its rather expensive to attend. The second largest is DSC, you do not need to be a member to attend, and its cheap to attend. The next DSC show is January 17-20, 2019.

Philip Glass and 375 Ruger Fan like this.

10. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    Many show up at the Sportsman's Expo shows. That is where I meet the outfitter I have taken 2 trips to SA with. Some of the less publicized outfitters do not go to the SCI show and yet they may be excellent. Good outfitters also go to the SCI show so I am not knocking them.

jeff likes this.

11. KMG Hunting Safaris

KMG Hunting Safaris AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada
    Alternatively, you could join us at the AH dinner in Dallas during the convention dates, and get to meet a few of the sponsors here.

12. Lee M

Lee M AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, USA, Canada
    Ive been to the Harrisburg PA show for the last 25 years. It is much bigger then the DSC show I went to in Jan of 2015. Not saying it’s better, as I enjoyed the DSC, just a lot more outfitters from all over Africa, US, Canada, etc. also many other exhibits such as archery, guns, fishing outfitters, etc. You honestly can’t see everything and talk to all the outfitters in one day.

Hogpatrol and jeff like this.

13. jeff

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    I would also like to see the Harrisburg show sometime!!

14. Philip Glass

Philip Glass AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
    I know Harrisburg’s is a big show but not sure it’s bigger than DSC.

15. billc

billc AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia

Bigger square foot wise but a lot of it is because there is a lot of fishing and camping stuff. Now with the nra doing the show more guns also. It is a great show for outdoor stuff in general not as specialized as a dsc or sci event.

DCN, Philip Glass and jeff like this.

16. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
    I swore off the Harrisburg show because of the mayor's anti-gun stance and what I felt was the deliberate mishandling of the traffic so as to discourage attendance. They actually set the left turn traffic light going to the main parking lot to only allow about five or six cars to make the light before it changed. Traffic would back up for five miles or so because of that light. Since the NRA has taken over, and despite the dustup with the SOB mayor, the traffic and show has improved tremendously. I went last year and was surprised at the number of African outfitters in attendance. I have to give the NRA credit. They took a mismanaged, totally fkd up show and made it worthwhile going again.

Ramble mode off, there were some good deals on African hunts to be had if one could commit at the show.

Philip Glass likes this.

17. jeff

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    That's one reason I like the Western Hunting and Conservation Expo as it almost all hunting related!

18. Dinsdale

Dinsdale AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    One upside to Harrisburg is it runs 10 days and 2 full weekends, can give many options on when to attend.

I've done the booth end and 9 days and set up, is a loooong time for an exhibitor!

IdaRam, Hogpatrol and jeff like this.

19. IdaRam

IdaRam SILVER SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
    Hunted:
    Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    Amen brother! 4 days is a long time working the booth.

20. PHOENIX PHIL

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    I haven't been there, but know them that have. It gets really long for them middle of the week when attendance is down and they're still paying for a hotel and food.