AH senior member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI Portland Chapter, Oregon
Well friends, I leave for safari #1 in 104 days :daydreaming:. Bag is for this trip from little to big is: jackal, baboon, impala, blesbok, oryx & lion.

If a 60" kudu steps out he's had it too :huntingrifle:

I'm going to RSA in 2010 with my 2 adult sons & wife for 10 days.

What should be my bag for safari number two?

A couple of things to bear in mind:

My wife :gorgeous: wants a leopard.

She does not want me to shoot a zebra because " they are too much like a horse". I'm working on that one :thinking:, telling her that comparing a zebra to a horse is like comparing a coyote to a dog.

Hi Bill,

I wish I could say I've booked my 2nd safari, but I have not as of yet. Your list looks great & I had a great 1st safari bagging an Impala & Gemsbok, and a few other animals that I just had to have before I returned from Namibia.

My next trip is going to be for either the big cats or an elephant/buffalo hunt (and yes, if a big Kudu steps out he's mine!). I'd like to return to Namibia and am still shopping for a solid outfitter that has secured permits & exportable animals available. That said, I'd be interested to hear where your hunting lion & how you feel the hunt went.

From my perspective, I'd travel the 12,000 miles to hunt impala alone so get ready to enjoy an amazing hunt for them. As for the zebra, I had, and still have, people that can't believe I shot a horse...let me tell you that they are as wild as any animal I've hunted in the States and smarter than any bear or whitetail I've taken. Truly an amazingly difficult animal to hunt. Go for the zebra & I'll bet that you do not regret the experience...if you can get upwind of them and within range :cool:

Good luck and please post to the site on how you did chasing that big cat. Shoot straight!!!!

-Derek

Karamojo Bill, a 'donkey in pajamas' is a great addition to any trophy collection. The Mrs will probably even like the feel and look of the rug in the household. Indeed the comparison you have used is justified and similarly, it is like comparing a cow to a buffalo!

For your next safari, you probably already know what I am going to prescribe... one leopard and three buffalo over 12 days and supplements of hartebeest, impala, zebra, warthog, wildebeest, bushpig and baboon. To be administered in Tanzania at your earliest convenience. If curiosity persists, contact your PH immediately. Cheers bwana

It depends on what you like! i myself would love to have any of the big 5 but my budget doesn't allow it at the time! Myself I'm more into the gazelles & on my second safari I shot springbucks....common,white & black,Black wildebeest, hartebeest, & another Gemsbuck! My third safari will probably consist of the reedbucks & rhebucks, along with nyala, eland, & bushbuck!
Don't be fussy about the kudu!! If you are only looking for a 60" you may need 3 more lifetimes to be successful! Anything in the mid 50's will make a fine trophy which you will be more than proud of!!

The safari is in RSA

Friends, I'm not holding out for a 60" kudu....,Heck, I'd take a nice old 52", though my buddy shot one that went 61 3/4" in the same consession last year.

I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie, (as you can see by my signature line), so the DG REALLY interests me. But the pocketbook may not allow too much after the wife's leopard. I LOVE the Sable but again they are BIG $$$$$$$ there. Warthogs & hartbeast are flat UGLY...a bit like me.

Throw in some ideas for my wife. She's only taken a blacktail deer so far.

I told the "boys" that I'll get you there, you pay for the animals you want and the taxidermy.

I would definitely take a zebra! The mountain zebra is very pretty. I going to get a zebra in South Africa pretty soon. And the zebra's in tanzania are probably the best for colors...white and black stripping close together and very colorful.

And the zebra is very smart and tough as hell. A very underestimated trophy! I'm proud to be a zebra hunter!

Zebra

Well I took her to the SCI B-B-Q at one of our local members house with a 4000+ sq ft trophy museum.....She saw the rugs and full body mounts of the different types of zebra....I used the donkey in pajama's line and I think it will be OK now.

I have NEVER seen such a place. This guy has over 600 mounts including a full body mount of a giraffe & white rhino. A head of a 70 pound per side elephant w/ the trunk outstreached & The Roy Weatherby award!!!! All I can say is WOW! I wish I were that rich! There were critters there I'd never seen & /or even heard of before:eek:... and I have always been intersted in biology.

Go to Mozambique for leopard, buffalo, and Sable. You are smart hunting lion your first trip in case their status changes.

Here is a picture of my Tanzania zebra. Very distinct striping.

Zebra.jpg

Attachments

• Zebra.jpg
    Zebra.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 158
I agree about an nyala or waterbuck. What about a red lechwe and a caracal?

Hmmmm, well as some of you know, horses are my first love, I am a team roper (rope steers with my grandkids about 3 times a week) and I compete both professionally and in Jackpot ropings..I was raised on a big Texas desert ranch and have been a cowboy all of my life...Nothing on this earth will get my attention quicker than a good horse and watching one perform will bring a tear to my eye, they are a wonderful animal to those who understand them.

That said as a way of qualification, I love to hunt Zebra, and tell your wife they don't whinnie but instead they bark like a dog, the stallions when they get old kill baby zebra by jerking them out of the womb during birth and then stomping and biting them until the little carcass is scattered over a hundred yards in some cases, and in some cases this also kills the mare, and during the rut the stallions can and on ocassion kill each other.

After I was around them for a very short time I realized that they were a wild animal in every way and they are not in any way like a horse, not even a wild mustang. More like a Jackass/Lion crossbred! :)

It's becoming clear

I think that what I will do is....Go and enjoy every minute. Share some sundowners with my family. Not go with a list of must haves, but rather shoot what Lady Africa offers me a good representative of the species...be it a cape buff or a duiker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.