What Rifle should I get for RSA Plains Game Hunt?

Of your 3 choices, I'd take the .270 Win. The .308 is not bad either, but doesn't shoot as flat.

If it were me:

.300 Win Mag
.300 Weatherby Mag
.30/06

I'm in the early stages of planning my first safari for plains game. My primary quarry will be a good impala and a good kudu (doesn't everyone want a good kudu bull?), and perhaps a nice gemsbok. I'd also be very interested in springbok and warthog, a zebra if a good one presented itself, and maybe bushbuck.

I'm rather certain I'll end up going to South Africa for the hunt. I've identified Limpopo, Northwest Province and the Northern Cape as the most likely regions to produce what I'm after and will be looking for outfitters in those areas.

I'm buying a new rifle soon and am hoping for some help with the selection. First, I have to say that recoil is a rather significant issue for me. I have had a couple of shoulder reconstrucions and eight bolts and a screw reside permanently in my right (shooting) shoulder. I've also had a disc removed from my neck and have two more that are herniated and will eventually need attention. Although I'm not particularly sensitve to recoil by nature, these injuries and their repairs have left me unable to shoot hard-recoiling numbers comfortably. As a result, I'm looking for a cartridge that can be reasonably expected to do the job at the lowest possible recoil. I'll simply practice more with a soft shooter than I will with somethig that hurts, and the .30-06 with 180gr loads is about the outer limits of my tolerance. This means I'd like something that hurts less than that if at all possible. I'm entirely committed to restricting the range of my shooting to be commensurate with the cartridge selected, so if I need to get closer than 250 yards to my quarry, I'll either do so or pass up the shot.

I really like the new Winchester Model 70s being built in South Carolina. My heart is nearly set on one but I'm still open for suggestions. The cartridge choices I've narrowed it down to are the 7mm-08, the .270 Win and the .308 Win. The rifle will be either the Featherweight or the Extreme Weather.

I've also concluded that I could live with a new Ruger Hawkeye All Weather in .338 Federal. The one I've shot didn't hurt very bad and I kind of like the idea of the bigger bullet. I'd much rather have the Winchester rifle, though, and they are not currently offering that cartridge in their lineup.

Truth be told, if I could get away with a .25-06, I'd take one. Next, the 7mm-08 would be great. The .270 and .308 start to get my attention and the .338 Fed is at my outer limits to be able to put 15 or 20 rounds in at a good practice session.

What would you experienced folks do if you were me? Please remember that this rifle will be used far more for deer back home than it will be in Africa, and it will need to be practiced with for many years to come.

Thanks!
270 will take any plains game you will ever hunt with ease. Flat shooting rifle more so than 308. I took my Kudu at over 300 yards

You have many great choices. For me if recoil was a factor either a 7mm/08 or a 270 would be where I would look. A M70 in either caliber would be perfect. Do consider availability of ammo or components also. That gives the old 270 a bit of an edge.

This would be easy on your shoulder and not fatigue you. Also very accurate. With Barnes bullets or GMX will handle all of PG animals.

I shoot f class in competition to 1200 yds. Not advocating PG past 300yds but ttsx or gmx ammo is more readily available and good ammo for trigger time. 308win with 168ttsx for PG and American Hunter ammo to practice at 300yds. Don't need 270 max horsepower when you have 308 accuracy.

I am not going to go through and read 3 pages of comments.

The 7mm-08 is fine, with lighter premium bullets it will kill anything that you'll be likely to hunt in Africa, the USA or anywhere else, and not kick you around.

I wouldn't worry about finding a 7x57, but if you can that would be a good option. Again stay away from super heavy bullets and your shoulder will thank you.

The 308 can be snappy for a guy in your situation with heavy bullets. I'd steer clear.

Many times it is common for South African and Namibian farms to have loaner rifles in suitable cartridge with a muzzle brake or silencer/sound moderator, which would save you the hassle of flying with firearms.

As much as they are loathed by some and loved others the 6.5mm cartridges would kick even less, 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, 6.5 Creedmoor and the less common 260 Rem, 6.5x47 Lapua, and other less common calibers like 6.5x65, 6.5x57 and so on.

I killed 24 animals on a single safari with a loaner 308 that didn't shoot very well (worn out Musgrave 98 Mauser. You don't need an elephant gun to hunt African plains game, the same as you don't need one on similar sized animals in America.

A zebra is about the size of a bull elk
kudu are the size of a spike elk
Most of the deer sized antelope are in the 80-450 pound range. Kind of like the size differences in North America between Coue's Deer and Caribou.

There is also nothing wrong with shooting a 308, 30-06 or whatever and putting a good muzzle brake on it. I don't have a single rifle without a muzzle brake. On added advantage is that I can see my shots through the scope, even with the 300 Winchester at over 300 yards. But especially with the 6.5 Creedmoor. People bitch about them, but if you have an impairment you have an impairment.

Take a 375, you never know that you will shoot when you are there, or worse have to shoot. Make sure you have a legal caliber for anything.

I'll simply practice more with a soft shooter than I will with somethig that hurts, and the .30-06 with 180gr loads is about the outer limits of my tolerance. This means I'd like something that hurts less than that if at all possible.
My 1 bit of advice is that when you go to the range at home, take a bolt action .22 with a low power scope. It doesn't have any perceptible recoil and therefore won't teach you to flinch. Also, when practicing, trying to fire multiple rounds rapidly in succession. You never know when that might be necessary.

Have you considered a muzzle brake?

On my last safari, I got to try several of the oufitter's guns. A muzzle brake or a suppressor (aka silencer) does make a significant difference in absolute recoil energy (not just what you are able to notice).

Yep, an old post.

My suggestion would have been 7mm-08 or that class 7x57

But now I like the .280ai, never had a .270.

I also would have suggested the hire rifle with a Suppressor. I'm surprised it did not come up earlier.

I hear that muzzle breaks are not favoured in Africa but tell the PH in thee planing stages that you will have it and why, if you can't arrange a Suppressor..

7x57mm
7x64mm
9.3x62mm
375H&H

When this post was made the 6.5 Creedmoor was a mere infant.
If the 30-06 with 180 is the upper limit, then go with that.
I agree. In the field, a 30-06 w/180 has the perceived recoil of a 243, if not less, IMO. It's almost spooky.

@IvW
Take out the 9.3 and replace it with the 35 Whelen.
Bob
Haha not availible here....only something heard of and read about in these parts....as long as it is close to the 9.3x62 it should be fine....

Wow a thread of promoting ones favourite caliber again?

A real old thread but nothing has changed. I say caliber does NOT matter in real life, a well constructed bullet from 6.5-338 in the CORRECT spot is all that is required and there are hundreds of cartridges that can do that.

MB

6.5 is too small and is not legal in many countries as an all round pg caliber

Perfect for springbuck and blesbuck in open plains but no good for larger pg in bushveldt

Not for a trophy hunter, but for a biltong hunter I have had great success with 156gr Oryx at about 2500fps.
But then I have time and can pass over shots Im not comfortable with.
A trophy hunter must anchor the game if given the slightest chance, a good 30 cal like the 30-06 is perfect for this.
A 300 magnum even better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.