Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
Now that both the 308 Norma and 400 H&H project are well underway it's time to plan for the next one:)

I am inclined to go bigger rather than smaller. Maybe a pachyderm rifle? But, what caliber? What brand? Bolt or should I venture into doubles? Oh lordy the troubles that distract the mind and test one's patience :LOL:

I am thinking a double. Something that is a significant step up from the 400 but not so heavy that the second shot is rendered practically useless. On the other hand I reload so maybe a bolt gives me more playtime with various bullets and powders, but then I need a caliber that has a broad supply of bullets to choose from.

And, then there is the choice of manufacturer, go classic Rigby or Westly Richards, or use a GMA action for a 505 built by my gunsmith?

It will be a while before I could seriously consider the purchase, but the planning is half the fun, no? Thoughts?

Enjoy your newly acquired disease!

Cant help you on big calibers but I can be the normal AH enabler and say yes you should proceed!!(y)

Last edited:
Custom.. another custom build!

If you want a Double and you want to go bigger, I would have to say that those probably start at a minimum caliber of .470 NE, on up to .500 NE for easy to find components and reasonably priced rifles. They are also quite common the world over (especially the .470). anything above the .500 and bullets and cases get to be quite expensive and hard to come by.

+1 on the .470, you have more than enough gun, and it´s probably the most common caliber in doubles.

If you want a Double and you want to go bigger, I would have to say that those probably start at a minimum caliber of .470 NE, on up to .500 NE for easy to find components and reasonably priced rifles. They are also quite common the world over (especially the .470). anything above the .500 and bullets and cases get to be quite expensive and hard to come by.
I do like the idea of a double. Yep, sure do.:A Praying: But, is the hunter/client better off with a bolt action rifle?

I do like the idea of a double. Yep, sure do.:A Praying: But, is the hunter/client better off with a bolt action rifle?

I believe most of us are better off with a scoped bolt action, and that is also the opinion of all the PH´s I have asked about this.

However, if your heart is calling out for a double ...

I believe most of us are better off with a scoped bolt action, and that is also the opinion of all the PH´s I have asked about this.

However, if your heart is calling out for a double ...

I was also playing with the idea of another Brno 602 converted to a suitable cartridge. That would make a set of three Brno. But, then something like a 458 would be the alternative to a 500 Jeffery. I am not sure what .475 (approx) bolt action solution is out there

Pheroze, I don't know a darn thing about the 500 Jeffery other than what you can read on Wikipedia. It is an odd ball caliber that can be put into a Mauser 98 Action. Perhaps one of the PHs like IvW can shed some light on the feasibility of a 500 Jeffery. Not only can you hunt elephant with it but maybe a mastodon as well.

My two cents 470 NE

I think Paul at Lameaux's had a 470NE double he was looking to part with when I was there.
Oh hey, way to turn a harmless fantasy into gut wrenching reality....

A 458 Lott to match the 308 Norma and 400 H&H would be awsome

500 Jeffery??
Yes indeed the 500 Jeffery is an iconic cartridge and more than capable of giving you all the sleepless nights of planning the build that any project might do and of course all the excitment you could stand when you get to the testing and hunting of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg