What Is Your Dream Rifle?

I am a simple man..

I want a Left Handed Pre 64 in 300 H&H , or a Dakota Model 10 in the same.
Even a Ruger No 1 in the Super 30 will do.

Id load a 180gr Partition to an accuracy node around 2900fps and be a happy man.

So I can source a Left Handed Zastava Magnum length action locally, a good 26" barrel and great walnut stocks are even available in LH for this type of Mauser.
Maybe build my own?

A dream gun would cost more than is practical. For me anyway. So I’ll stick to deluxe production rifles so I can have many decent firearms . Though I will inevitably get a GA Precision. Maybe even an Accuracy International . I have enough wood stocked rifles. I’m going to start playing with a couple of synthetic stocked rifles made for precision shooting.

@hammz
There are a few Winchester Model 70 Custom African Express rifles in .416 Rigby . According to this source , anyway . Last manufactured in 2006 .
View attachment 367717

Then again there are these ... I believe these are post 64 but CRF, the full set is in 338 Win Mag, 375 H&H, 416 Rem, 458 Win Mag and 470 Capstick I lust a bit for one of these in 470 Capstick ..

RtV55sq.jpg
VWGmdYz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it wrong to have more than 1?
Westely Richards or Heym 89B chambered in 500 NE
Not sure yet but something in 9.3
Rigby in 416 Rigby
Rigby in 275 Rigby
This is the answer to the question of a dream battery

HWL

...I’m going to start playing with a couple of synthetic stocked rifles made for precision shooting.
Come on in, the water is fine!

I can pretty consistently ring steel out to 1800 yards with my 6.5CM Impact/Bartlein in a Foundation stock. From 1200 yards in it just feels like cheating.

Thanks for asking, but I already have all my dream rifles from .22 to .458s.
Also all the Parker shotguns plus a combo turkey gun/rifle.
Now all I need is to hunt and shoot more!

I own one of my dream rifles already. Ruger No. 1 .375 H&H, red pad, made in 1981 with exceptional factory wood. Sent it to R.J. Renner who reshaped the stock and forend for use with irons, improved the checkering and installed ghost ring rear and white bead front sights. Now it is an Africa-capable, English Stalking Rifle in the Queen of cartridges. If I had but one rifle this would be it.
DDF35549-1438-485A-81F6-2ACD4189AD12.jpeg
FFA8670D-1DC5-4CC7-A144-2601BEB4A1F9.jpeg
5EDF9786-005E-4CEF-8D8D-2FE195D1B46F.jpeg

...But I really want a double. Dream double (read achievable) would be a Heym 88b or 89b with 4 barrel sets to cover the gamut of intended uses around this planet. There is one for sale that I have found online but I just bought a tractor for my farm and it may be stretching the budget a bit.

I own one of my dream rifles already. Ruger No. 1 .375 H&H, red pad, made in 1981 with exceptional factory wood. Sent it to R.J. Renner who reshaped the stock and forend for use with irons, improved the checkering and installed ghost ring rear and white bead front sights. Now it is an Africa-capable, English Stalking Rifle in the Queen of cartridges. If I had but one rifle this would be it.
View attachment 474783View attachment 474784View attachment 474786
...But I really want a double. Dream double (read achievable) would be a Heym 88b or 89b with 4 barrel sets to cover the gamut of intended uses around this planet. There is one for sale that I have found online but I just bought a tractor for my farm and it may be stretching the budget a bit.

That is a beautiful rifle!

That is a beautiful rifle!
Now THAT is a nice looking #1.
Thank you. Mr. Renner did a fantastic job, he also smoothed out the trigger pull and it is nice and crisp, I will have to put my trigger gauge on it again as I forget what it was measuring at. It balances at the front of the receiver and is comfortable to carry in one hand all day while covering the miles in the mountains.

The rifle is quite lively with 300gr loads as it comes in at 8.2 lbs as pictured with the sling and the much sought after red recoil pad is about 1 step up from the steel buttplates of yesteryear. It is worth the recoil though as the pad is smooth and not too grippy, it does not try to hang up on my clothing or pack strap as I shoulder it quickly. Plus, it gets me more prepared for stepping up to one of the big boys!

Holland and Holland 470 nitro express for me.
And for me, were my budget only a passing thought. I know deals can be had on century old rifles, but I want the benefits of modern metallurgy at a reasonable cost. That leaves me hankering for a German or possibly French double. I like the .470 NE but have a strange urge to get a .450 NE (if the cartridge doesn't have one foot in the grave.)

.303 British sxs double, fit to me, tastefully yet modestly adorned. What's more, I would wear out the checkering and finish by way of abundant use. There was one which recently had me picking up the phone (because it wasn't $20k+) to ring the bank, but it went to "sale pending" before I could make the call.

probly a mag fed, bolt .50 BMG. I have no use for one at all, but just think they are neat, being such a HUGE round, with SO much power. But the cost of even a cheat single shot is still WAY too much for me to justify to "just have" cause it's "neat".Especially when you factor in the cost of ammo, even when reloading. Anything else I could likely justify the cost by it being rare, collectable, antique, etc.

No classes to take at the College , this week . So plenty of time to think about rifles and hunting . What is each of your dream rifles to own ?

For me , it has got to be a Krieghoff side by side double rifle in 9.3x74 mm R ( Rimmed ) calibre . Box-lock , double triggers , automatic ejectors , 25 inch barrels . As much as I adore my .458 Winchester Magnum , I have always dreamt of hunting a marauding Royal Bengal tiger with a 9.3x74 mm R .
Well, that‘s what I have, a Krieghoff Classic Big Five in 9.3x74R. Very happy with it, don‘t need and don‘t want another rifle.
71790A03-8889-4C60-AE1C-A60DEAA3B7C9.jpeg

Well, that‘s what I have, a Krieghoff Classic Big Five in 9.3x74R. Very happy with it, don‘t need and don‘t want another rifle.View attachment 490060
I so understand that, I feel the same way about my Heym, you want to immerse yourself in it. I see you have fitted a scope, do you always hunt with the scope? What have you taken with it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg