What Is Your Dream Rifle?

I like an R8 in 375 ruger, 300 PRC and 6.5 PRC. I would sell everything else.

The R8 is a drug,...you will never get rid of...

Donald Trump would buy one, and sell every other rifle he has.

Fortunately, he does not know, the R8 exists.....

;)

HWL

Last edited:
A Mannlicher-Schoenauer Model 1925 bolt action rifle in 10,75x68.........the gentleman's rifle.

HWL
@HWL
I am genuinely surprised that anyone in this forum has even heard of the 10.75x68 mm Mauser ; let alone crave one . It is such a misunderstood and misrepresented calibre . I was lucky enough to hunt a water buffalo in Australia with one ( the rifle was a Fabrique Nationale Mauser made in 1957 ) in 2008 .

I used Woodleigh 347 grain full metal jacket hand loads and Win760 gunpowder to achieve a velocity of 2224 feet per second . It left nothing to be desired .

A lightweight stalking rifle would be in order.

Krieghoff Hubertus with custom fitted stock.
6.5x65R and 9.3x74R barrels.

@HWL
I am genuinely surprised that anyone in this forum has even heard of the 10.75x68 mm Mauser ; let alone crave one . It is such a misunderstood and misrepresented calibre . I was lucky enough to hunt a water buffalo in Australia with one ( the rifle was a Fabrique Nationale Mauser made in 1957 ) in 2008 .

I used Woodleigh 347 grain full metal jacket hand loads and Win760 gunpowder to achieve a velocity of 2224 feet per second . It left nothing to be desired .
The 10.75x68 was a caliber that was widely used in West and Central Africa. It was supplanted by the 375 (see the 458 for central Africa), as local hunters and poachers could no longer find ammunition.
I have often met villagers in the bush or in the forest asking me for ammunition of this caliber and then they brought me their weapon, often in poor condition.

@HWL

I have one in double Square bridge Prof!

A Mannlicher-Schoenauer Model 1925 bolt action rifle in 10,75x68.........the gentleman's rifle.

HWL

As a second choice: a Mannlicher-Schoenauer High Velocity, between the wars period, in 9,3x62.

MS ST39 50 Mannlicher Schoenauer High Velocity.jpg

@HWL

I am a dedicated follower of this cartridge/rifle.

My gunsmith built a rifle for me on a M98 action...... great gun, I hunted pigs and red deer with, in Europe.

But for a collector, the M1925 High Vel in 10,75x68 is the Holy Graile of Mannlicher.Schoenauer rifles.

Today, you hardly can find one in Europe, most of them disappeared in Africa and India.

HWL

As a second choice: a Mannlicher-Schoenauer High Velocity, between the wars period, in 9,3x62.

Also a true classic and hard to come by....!!!

Sometimes, a post war GK comes around.

HWL

Hello HWL,

Yes, I am aware of that! A GK in 9,3x62 is also a nice M-Sch. I have seen a few, some of them at a very reasonable price, around 2000 euros with riflescope.

Best regards

CF

The 10.75x68 was a caliber that was widely used in West and Central Africa. It was supplanted by the 375 (see the 458 for central Africa), as local hunters and poachers could no longer find ammunition.
I have often met villagers in the bush or in the forest asking me for ammunition of this caliber and then they brought me their weapon, often in poor condition.
@Philippe
I have good reason to believe that all of these rifles predate the Second World War . Today , the only factory loaded ammunition for this calibre is available from Labor Fur Ballistik . They offer a 347 grain soft nosed factory load .

@Philippe
I have good reason to believe that all of these rifles predate the Second World War . Today , the only factory loaded ammunition for this calibre is available from Labor Fur Ballistik . They offer a 347 grain soft nosed factory load .
@Professor Mawla
In France, the SOLOGNE company still manufactures ammunition for the 10.75x68. Find the catalog sheets for this caliber below.
Sologne Africa.JPG

Last edited:
Well I already have one of my dream rifles, my M14. There are quite a few I'd very much covet in my collection, mostly WWII-era long arms like a G-43, FG-42, and BAR.

But for hunting(ish) rifles? I actually have a trio I've started thinking hard on, so I guess we'll call them "dream rifles" for now:
The 9.3x62 Mauser 98 I've been wanting to do for some time now, as a project rifle. Classic interwar-style safari/adventurer's rifle.​
The .450 or .470 Nitro Express single-shot rifle I came to this forum to find some help on. One day I hope to commission either a Sharps 1874 or a 1885 High Wall from C. Sharps or Shiloh Sharps in the calibre of my choice for that.​
A new project gun I had the idea for, a rebuild of a sporterized Remington M1903A3 rifle. A "what if the US Army had rebuilt some 1903s into serious sniper rifles in the 1960s" project inspired by the USMC M70 sniper rifles fielded during Vietnam, I plan to rebarrel the rifle, chamber it for .308 Norma Magnum (or possibly .300 Winchester Magnum), and find an appropriate Unertl/Lyman-style scope to mount on it. Some reparking would be necessary, a new stock would be optional.​

One where I create the cartridge, hand it over to a custom gunsmith and say "here, make me a rifle to this specification." (dependent entirely upon caliber, species to be hunted, et. al.) .264 Richter Short Mag has served me well (lol outperforms all factory 6.5s in a lightweight 23" bbl rig, excepting the Wby, which is just fine, Uncle Roy!) My accountant brother always tells me to SAAMI'ize it! The .416 Chatfield-Taylor is perfection as is the .470 Capstick (efficiency-wise). So many great gunmakers out there today (for light-med-heavy calibers.) A custom rifle that was used by a devout hunter previously across the world means a lot to me...
@C.W. Richter
Been there done that to it is a great feeling especially when it all comes together and excedes your expectations. I would have liked to use a different rifle.
I my budget would have stretched to $5,000 + I would have done my 25 Epps Newton improved on a blades K95 single shot. It would be a beautiful long range light weigh mountain/ stalking file.
I have fulfilled most of my rifle dreams, a beautiful full custom lowall in22K Hornet, my 25 that I designed and had built and my not so beautiful but very accurate and good game rifle my savage Whelen.
Bob.
I would still like the K95 in my 25 tho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg