What Is Your Dream Rifle?

Professor Mawla

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
No classes to take at the College , this week . So plenty of time to think about rifles and hunting . What is each of your dream rifles to own ?

For me , it has got to be a Krieghoff side by side double rifle in 9.3x74 mm R ( Rimmed ) calibre . Box-lock , double triggers , automatic ejectors , 25 inch barrels . As much as I adore my .458 Winchester Magnum , I have always dreamt of hunting a marauding Royal Bengal tiger with a 9.3x74 mm R .

Hmmm...
If I need really to get my choice to one.... It would be double square bridge Mauser rifle, made by Rigby, in some of the calibers appropriate to the area and game I hunt (which is not defined in your question).. So, calibers I cannot reduce to only one choice. 7x57 (because its Rigby), or 375 h&h, or maybe 9.3x62. Each of these calibers is versatile in its own right, and with great history.

But I must tell you, this is very hard choice, to reduce to only one rifle. Real gentleman hunter, a sportsman, will need a battery of at least 2, 3, or 4 guns, for various purposes, and also to include proper shotgun in basic inventory.

A BAR with bipod, circa WW2. :W Shooting Uzi::E Rofl:

Double O/U rifle, ejector model with ghost ring back up sights on the rifle barrels with the following sets of barrels.

1st set, 450/400 NE or 500/416 NE 3 1/4" with Aimpoint H2 QD
2nd set, 9.3x74R/7x57mm Bergstutzen with QD mounted 1-6x scope
3rd set, 12ga/12ga

Well, it has to be beautiful in form. It has to be utterly functional and 100% reliable. It must be balanced, and come up well every time. It has to be in a classic cartridge that can tell it's own story, and it cant cost the earth, so the dream can come true.
My choice boils down to either a Heym 98B double in 450/400, or a Ruger No1, red recoil pad model, in 450/400.
The Heym would have case hardening colours and a grade 5 walnut stock with dark rich colour to set off its intended British lines. The Ruger No1, just as it came out of the factory.

And the winner is...... the Ruger No1, the most beautiful rifle ever built that delivers of its best every time and asks only that you do your part.

I have one of mine: Winchester 1886 Deluxe 45-70

My other dream rifles:
Barrett M82 .50 BMG (plan on getting this within the next couple years)
Winchester Model 70 .416 Rigby (unfortunately Winchester doesn't make a magnum action so this is a pipe dream)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg