What is the worst rifle you have ever owned?

Yes, but I did not ask for it back. The guy is a smart businessman, he knew what the product was. I have shot one of his guns since and after shooting Blasers/Sauers dont know what I ever saw in thoses guns.

I have a few custom rifles, A square's, and a couple built by Tip Burns at Canyon Sporting Arms they are fine shooting arms, but in the custom world buyer beware!

or in Afrikaans--koper in ag

Ed

Yes, but I did not ask for it back. The guy is a smart businessman, he knew what the product was. I have shot one of his guns since and after shooting Blasers/Sauers dont know what I ever saw in thoses guns.

I have a few custom rifles, A square's, and a couple built by Tip Burns at Canyon Sporting Arms they are fine shooting arms, but in the custom world buyer beware!

or in Afrikaans--koper in ag

Ed
Custom Rifles have always interested me, though I doubt that I'll ever have one built. But if I would, 7X57 Mauser would be the cartridge I would probably choose.

I like the 7x57, it might be the best caliber out there for bullet weight and not much recoil. I shot a 6.5x55 a good bit and really liked it, I now shoot a 308, and a 9.3x62 a good bit, I really like rounds that dont bark a whole lot!

here I am with the 9.3x62

watermark.php

Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, the 9.3x62! Now you're talking. Took one to Namibia, love it. Its going again to Zim next year for eland, waterbuck and whatever. Mine is a CZ 550 American and it is really a fine rifle. Double stock cross bolts and extra recoil lug are standard on this model. I get superb accuracy with 250 Nosler Accubonds and 250 Triple Shoks using many grains of IMR 4064 for just over 2500 fps and 3500 pounds of energy. The magazine is long enough to accomodate the throat and allows seating bullets out farther than standard which of course allows more powder with less pressure. I could push for more velocity but there is no need for even heavy plains game. It is capable of taking buffalo but I have more appropriate rifles for that. Also have a sweet shooting Ruger No 1-A in 7x57. It also shoots very well contrary to all the horror stories one reads about the No.1 rifle. I think the ones they build now are much superior to the early guns. They make their own barrels now and by and large a new or newer made No. 1 will shoot well. I have had new ones in the 7, 9.3x74, 450/400, 6.5 Swede and currently own the best shooter perhaps yet; a limited run SS 1-A in .257 Roberts. This little gun shoots so well I will never sell it. I get good speed, 2800-2900 fps with the 117 Sierra, and MOA accuracy and it is very consistent. Certified gun crank, for sure!

I like the 7x57, it might be the best caliber out there for bullet weight and not much recoil. I shot a 6.5x55 a good bit and really liked it, I now shoot a 308, and a 9.3x62 a good bit, I really like rounds that dont bark a whole lot!

here I am with the 9.3x62

watermark.php

Ed
The 9.3X62 is an interesting cartridge, but I wouldn't buy one over a .375 H&H Mag. It is far easier to get ammo for the .375 H&H than the 9.3X62 here in PA. It is actually almost impossible to get ammo for the 9.3's. I could actually get .450-400 NE ammo here in PA but not 9.3 ammo. Last I checked the Cabelas in Hamburg PA carried .450-400 3 1/4 " NE ammo made by Hornady.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, the 9.3x62! Now you're talking. Took one to Namibia, love it. Its going again to Zim next year for eland, waterbuck and whatever. Mine is a CZ 550 American and it is really a fine rifle. Double stock cross bolts and extra recoil lug are standard on this model. I get superb accuracy with 250 Nosler Accubonds and 250 Triple Shoks using many grains of IMR 4064 for just over 2500 fps and 3500 pounds of energy. The magazine is long enough to accomodate the throat and allows seating bullets out farther than standard which of course allows more powder with less pressure. I could push for more velocity but there is no need for even heavy plains game. It is capable of taking buffalo but I have more appropriate rifles for that. Also have a sweet shooting Ruger No 1-A in 7x57. It also shoots very well contrary to all the horror stories one reads about the No.1 rifle. I think the ones they build now are much superior to the early guns. They make their own barrels now and by and large a new or newer made No. 1 will shoot well. I have had new ones in the 7, 9.3x74, 450/400, 6.5 Swede and currently own the best shooter perhaps yet; a limited run SS 1-A in .257 Roberts. This little gun shoots so well I will never sell it. I get good speed, 2800-2900 fps with the 117 Sierra, and MOA accuracy and it is very consistent. Certified gun crank, for sure!
A lot of people when they say that there rifle shoots poorly they are talking 1 1/2 " or 2 " groups at 100 yds. I had a Remington model 721 in .30-06 that shot 2 1/2 " groups at 100 yards and that didn't bother me. I just figured that here in PA It is rare to shoot at animals past 150 yards, so what does it matter?

Man, get online! I can get 9.3 at almost any of my little sporting goods shops around here. Cabela's Official Website - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear at competitive prices., Canyon Sporting Arms, Durys. Check out these sites-- cheap too!!!

Graf & Sons - PRVI AMMO 9.3x62 285gr SP 20/bx 25/cs

Ammunition - Shop Premium & Discount Ammunition at MidwayUSA

9.3 X 62 Centerfire Rifle Centerfire Rifle Ammo for Sale Online at Discount Prices - Ammunition - Able Ammo

Amd belive it or not the PRVI shoots damn good!!!!

The 9.3x62 is one of the sweetest shooting med calibers that I ever picked up. I would take one over a 375 anyday!!!! I own 2 375 and rarely shoot them. I own a 375 WBY in a A square that I'm quite fond of and a custom 378 WBY that I also have some heart strings attached too (It does great things, but must were a muzzle break--its a brute). My 9.3x62 shoots 1/2 groups with stuff it likes (TSX bullets, and Serria bullets) and 1" groups with almost anything else. It is one of my special arms. When I decided to pack up and go see Louis at Spiral Horn this year, The first gun I packed was my Sauer in the 9.3x62!!! Dont knock it tell you tried it!!! ;)

I really wasn't thinking, Midway USA carries 9.X62 ammo! Midway USA carries ammo for a lot of different cartridges.

Rem 700 in 30-06. Terrible trigger, terrible accuracy, barrel impossible to clean, hard to load, horrible bolt handle. I ended up replacing nearly every part of that rifle, following which it shoots really nicely. But not really cost effective. Should have bought something that worked properly in the first place, but left handers have limited choice.

A BRNO 601 in .308W. It wouldn't eject and the stock desigh did not suit be. I was beaten black and blue from it.

I guess I have been lucky as I have never had one I didn't like in 42 years. But all have been Sako , Weatherby MK V, Brno, Cz, Rem 700, Win Model 70. All good. I have had Weatherby the most. 240, 270, 7mm, 300, 340. The others were, 243, 3006 308 Norma, 7mm/300, 9.3x62 and soon to be a Winchester Model 70 9.3x64 Brenneke. There are others that have slipped my mind, I wish I had everone of them still. I have always had Leupold Scopes. Today all my rifles have Zeiss in Warne Lever Mounts. I will never sell what I have now..

I would have to say a new in the box BDL Remington bolt action 22-250 with a new in the box Redfield 3 X 9 adjustable scope installed by a competent gunsmith.

This was and still is the hardest kicking rifle i have shot. Next to a friends 30-06. As information i have shot 458 win mag rifles and other large rifles that were smoother than the Remington.

Last Remington rifle i ever purchased and have not looked back.

Accuracy you could not hit paper at 100 yards, and then at 50 yards.

So we moved to 25 yards and had a hard time keeping factory ammo both Remington and Winchester and federal on paper.

Life is to short to shoot a poor rifle...

Odd to find such complaints against Remington. I have owned many over the years and never had one that wouldnt shoot with perhaps a trigger adjust, bedding and barrel floating in indeed anything at all. Biggest dissapointment was a new Model 70 Win in 22-250, a Coyote model. One big POS!

What was wrong with the Coyote ?...I have one in a 270 WSM.

It had some minor feed issues, but it was just not accurate enough for a varmint gun. Had this little dab of some thermoplastic crap as recoil lug bedding that was a joke. Best it would do with carefull handloads and bench shooting was over an inch. Should be a half MOA all day long. I have a Marlin lever gun in .450 that shoots lots better.

I will have to take a closer look at mine. I have a 22-250 that is a Ruger M77 with the 26" bull barrel and it shoots tight groups all day long. Has a Simmons Whitetail Classic scope 6-24 50mm on it...very cheap gun...Around $650 total and is a super gun!

This was some time ago, maybe they are better now. The biggest thing about it was what I traded off to get the Coyote. I am embarrassed to say I traded of an excellent shooting BRNO 602 .300 Win mag for the junker. One of the worst and stupidest trades I ever made! Still kicking myself.

Yes, I can hear your on that one, I really like the BRNO and CZ line of rifles! I don't care what people say about them being not smooth, they are fine made rifle, that anybody can get to work right with a little time.

I remember my Ruger M77 not being smooth at first, but after a 100 shots...it was very slick!

Hands down the worst rifle I've owned was my first, a Remington 7400 semi-auto. When loading that rifle you had to let the bolt slam shut to be properly seated. If you just eased the bolt forward it would not be fully engaged with the chamber and wouldn't shoot. I figured this out as I squeezed the trigger on what would have been my first whitetail deer. Fortunately I figured out that if I pulled the bolt back and let it slam shut it would be properly engaged. About a 1/2 hour later another buck came out of the live oaks and I was able to get my first deer.

Later that day my friend and I returned to his brother's property somewhere not far from Waco, Texas. The property even back then some 20 years ago was full of wild pigs that he wanted shot. As luck would have it a boar and a sow came trotting out of the oaks and stopped in some tall grass. The sow was black and I was able to make her out and shot. Only the boar came running out, he made a u-turn and went back into where he came from. After waiting for awhile I got out of the stand and started to head over to the sow. I got about half way when I heard the boar start grunting. I decided that it would be prudent to return to the stand because he was obviously not happy. However the stand was between the boar and I. I took two steps and here he came. All I could see was the tops of the grass moving to know where he was. I leveled the rifle to what I thought was the proper height and touched one off. Silence as I scooted up into the stand. After waiting awhile longer, I figured that the coast was clear and I should reload. Looking down at the rifle, I found that the bolt had jammed when feeding the next shot. Had I needed that shot, I wouldn't have had it. Fortunately the .270 core-lokt hit that boar directly in the mouth in line with his rear end and he dropped immediately.

That was the last time I ever shot that rifle trading it in not long after for a Remington 700.

The slickest feeding bolt gun I own is my old model 77 Ruger .338 win mag that I took to RSA in 2009. The older guns seem to feed slicker than the newer ones for some reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg