What is the Perfect Plains Game rifle? and what is too much?

Sess
My shoulder can certainly tell the difference. The 338 seems to slap me around like going a few rounds with Mike Tyson.
My Whelen on the other hand seems like a big push by comparison.
It may have had something to do with the stock. The 338 was in a Winchester model 70 where as my Whelen is a Savage stock that seems to fit me like it was custom made for me. Winchester, Remington sako and a few others feel like a a crowbar in a fence post or a knitting needle in an axe handle and just don't feel right.
Bob
Stock design does make a difference, but physics are physics. Equal rifles shooting the same weight bullet to the same velocity will be roughly equal in recoil.

I have a personal preference for the .338 Winchester magnum calibre , utilizing 250 grain , 275 grain and 300 grain bullets . I have personally witnessed ... Just how accurate this beautiful piece of American ingenuity , can be .

The ideal production rifle ( For me ) would have to be a pre 64 Winchester Model 70 bolt rifle , equipped with a super grade stock and a " Bull Barrel " ... Wearing a low power telescopic sight ( Not too high magnification ) , such as a Weaver K series .

I hate to comment on the shooting abilities of my elders bob but if a .338 bites your ear off your doing it wrong.
No mate just wrong stock.
Had a little 410 that used to belt me up the chops until I took to it with a wood rasp.
Bob

I had a 58 cal hawken replica which used to leave my cheekbone glowing in the dark.
went to a lighter parker hale enfield musketoon in the same calibre but straighter stock and the problem went away.
bruce.

For straight meat hunting, 30-06 gets my vote. I love my 300 WM as well, but far too much meat damage on shoulder shots.
Now also using 6,5 Creedmore with 140g Remington Corelokt for most PG.. Eland only with 375 H&H Magnum

For me .303 british unless in dangerous game country I which case I'd switch over to my .375 h&h, I've got a .340 but after getting a .375 I can't see a job it's better suited for. If I don't feel thirty cal is enough I'd simply skip to .375
I very much agree with you on skipping to the .375 caliber.
It's exactly what I would take for a one gun PG safari.
Too much for a PG only rifle would probably be starting around .450 caliber IMO.

My question to you is why the 303BRIT for your choice of a .30 caliber?

I reckon personally, although based only on theoretical knowledge, that the 300WM is a good option for relatively heavily built animals from 1-300yds.

That said, if I were to actully go do it, I'd just grab the .375H&H and a couple scopes on QD rings. 250gr TTSX / 2.8-20 for PG, 300gr TSX / 1-6 for bigger stuff and maybe DG. Job done.

Not sure my shoulder would thank me for too many prone shots, but I can't imagine I'd notice in the heat of the moment either.

Al.

I very much agree with you on skipping to the .375 caliber.
It's exactly what I would take for a one gun PG safari.
Too much for a PG only rifle would probably be starting around .450 caliber IMO.

My question to you is why the 303BRIT for your choice of a .30 caliber?

.303 is what I learned on , father had a martini enfield I learned to hunt with. It's taken every spiecies of big game animal in Canada successfully. Spent a hundred and seventeen years as an service cartridge. If I need more power then a .303 is capable of producing I head for bigger calibers not longer cases. I don't personally see the value in the magnum .30 calibers. That being said long distance wasn't even a consideration when I was learning to shoot. We simply don't have the open country to allow it.

PG game only....lets see....
Trophy hunting or meat hunting?.....

Small to medium sized game at shorter bush veldt ranges 7x57mm, including Eland step up to 375H&H or 9.3x62mm or 9.3x74R.

Small to medium game at longer range 6.5x whatever, 7x64mm, larger game at longer range 338WM or 300 H&H or WM..

Or two 375 H&H one with 350gr bullets solid and expanding for bush for all from duiker to eland and 260-300 gr bullets for longer range for the open areas....

One gun for all would not be best suited for all....

Maybe an African Bergstutzen, one barrel in 9.3x74R and the other in 7x57R or 7x65R.....would be the best
choice......O/U with QD scope.....

I get using a .300 mag of one configuration or another... but personally as romantic as it sounds, I always shy away from long shots. But I do like the idea of larger frontal area, so for me it is a compromise: 35 Whelen. You can use say 200gr TTSX for a bit less recoil but still plenty of killing power, and move up from there. My favorite slug is a 225 grain Accubond, sited at 200 yds, its 8" (measured) low at 300. That's not a lot different than the 300 mags. I wouldn't argue with anyone using a 9.3x62 but you have better bullet selection with the Whelen.
I suspect others will agree with me...:)

.303 is what I learned on , father had a martini enfield I learned to hunt with. It's taken every spiecies of big game animal in Canada successfully. Spent a hundred and seventeen years as an service cartridge. If I need more power then a .303 is capable of producing I head for bigger calibers not longer cases. I don't personally see the value in the magnum .30 calibers. That being said long distance wasn't even a consideration when I was learning to shoot. We simply don't have the open country to allow it.
Skinnersblade
Mate I cut my teeth with an old 303 SMLE. Killed every thing I shot and still does.
The old 393 rocks
Bob

Bit of water has gone under the bridge since I originally posted on this thread. I have done two PG only hunts (both in Namibia) and both were done with a .338. Were I going back again for just a general PG hunt then I would take it along again. In recent years, my hunts have been focused on buffalo, with PG as add ons. I have been unable to improve on a .375 in that scenario. It is likely, that my future hunts will be more specialized, and I'll likely take a more specialized rifle and caliber depending upon the primary game animals. I would add, based on my experience, were one to poll African PH's about their rental rifles for PG clients, I suspect the .300 WM would win by at least two or three to one over any other caliber.

Taken many different plains game up to Eland with 308 150gr TSX. Eland, croc and roan with 375 ruger, 270gr TSX. The PHs seem to prefer clients use 308 to minimize damage to meat.

IMO if you go above the .300’s you just need to go all the way to .375. Plus no matter what you are hunting from the tiny’s to the eland the .375 is perfect.
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg