What is the most common range when bowhunting?

senjahunter

Reaction score
Media
Hello
I am going to Namibia in May for my first bowhunt.

I am wondering what is the most common ranges when bowhunting.

I am comfortable up towards 40 meters
And i have sighted my pins from 16 to 36 meters.

Does this sound appropriate?

Thankfull for any tips

You are set.
Practice and then go have fun.

Welcome to AH! I am by no means an expert bow hunter, but yes those ranges are just fine.

I have bow hunted four different places in Africa (including Namibia). Admittedly I haven't done any spot and stalk hunting that requires some longer shots, but the longest shot I have taken at an animal is 36 yards. You are good to go.

Oh yeah, you're gonna LOVE IT!! :)

Yeah, hunting from a blind will generally be 15-25 yards at a waterhole unless the animals are on the far side and even then, nothing really over 35 yards or so. I had one shot at about 7 yards, but that was unusual - the only animal to be that close in 8 days.

Spot and stalk you are more likely going to be 20-50 yards, maybe more but you probably won't take the farther shots due to the cost of a wounded animal in money if lost, or time if you have to track them. Then again, you might have to track them anyway because sometimes things don't work out perfectly but if you are confident out to 40 yards, you should be fine.

All my game was taken between 20 and 30 yards ! Good luck and play safe !
Glen

It seems to make a difference if the outfits are primarily bowhunting, they set their shots up closer, most about 20 yards. The outfits that also do some bowhunting but are primarily rifle tend to have longer shooting. Some have even put feed out at 35 yards, one place was over 50 yards to the salt. I believe they just didn't know any better. That's just my opinion from 14 African bow hunts.

senjahunter,

You have received good advice already from some of the most experienced bow hunters here on this forum. Typically, the majority of bow hunting is done from hides over water, mineral, or food sources. Your longest shot in these scenarios should be 30 yards or less. This is done deliberately to ensure that you have a very make-able, ethical shot opportunity that will result in a well-placed arrow and a quick recovery. You should be well-practiced and comfortable to 30 yards. You should also limit your shots distance to what you are confident with. From hides, shots of 20 yards and often much less are possible if you are patient.

As lpace stated, spot & stalking may require longer shots possibly 40 yards and beyond. We encourage our bow hunters to get out of the hides and stalk when the conditions dictate success. Taking an African animal via spot & stalk with a bow is the ultimate challenge and reward. With that, it is also important to realize that spot & stalking is going to be much more challenging than hunting game from the hides. Be prepared to get some acacia thorns in your hands and knees, and some dirt on your belly if you are going to attempt any stalking. Your shot opportunities will be much more limited stalking. However, there are certain species that are more stalk-able than others. Your outfitter/PH should be able to advise you of your best chances at certain species. Above all, get ready for a lot of fun! Africa is a bow hunter's paradise!

I am doing Namibia this year and shots of 20 to 30 yds out of the blinds is what my ph sets up for. We also plan on spot and stalk hunting a mtn zebra if we can so we are planning on out to 50yd which is my range. He has taken 3 mtn zebra stalking and they have been from 20 to 45 yds.

It really comes down to what you can do with your set up. I would tell you to shot some targets at 10 yds so you know what your bow does at real close ranges as that could happen and you don't want high shots on African animals as it will end up bad more then likely.

Great info! I find that in the comfort of my yard at home I am comfortable with a 20 yard shot with my recurve, however, in actual hunting conditions I lose some accuracy. I practice out to 30 but likely won't take a shot over 17. I will be bringing both the recurve and my compound.

It seems to make a difference if the outfits are primarily bowhunting, they set their shots up closer, most about 20 yards. The outfits that also do some bowhunting but are primarily rifle tend to have longer shooting. Some have even put feed out at 35 yards, one place was over 50 yards to the salt. I believe they just didn't know any better. That's just my opinion from 14 African bow hunts.

Jeff brings up an excellent point which is also a spot-on assessment.... Many African outfitters offer bow hunting, but very few are actually set up properly to provide the maximum opportunity for their guests' success. Careful consideration needs to be given for hide placement, hide construction, the predominant wind and sun direction, the natural travel path of the game, and shot distances to the water/minerals/food etc., for the bow hunter to be successful.

Additionally, the most experienced bow hunting outfits will never allow rifle hunting on their bow properties. They will also have scores of hides in multiple locations. They should offer a variety of permanent hides both dugout and elevated, ladder tree stands, ground blinds and even brush blinds to allow for every possible situation and wind direction. These are all key factors to consider and the basis for the questions to ask when considering a bow hunt in Africa. Make sure your outfitter's answers fall within the parameters mentioned in this thread..... Have a great hunt!

Agreed with all above. Interesting that in our club the average walk and stalk range (10 - 20m) is mostly less that the hunters that shoot from a hide (15 - 30m)

Well, you are probably walk and stalking in some thicker bush but at the water holes, you have a clearing to give a better view and that increases the range to get the space needed for clear shots and trophy quality assessment.

senjahunter,

You have received good advice already from some of the most experienced bow hunters here on this forum. Typically, the majority of bow hunting is done from hides over water, mineral, or food sources. Your longest shot in these scenarios should be 30 yards or less. This is done deliberately to ensure that you have a very make-able, ethical shot opportunity that will result in a well-placed arrow and a quick recovery. You should be well-practiced and comfortable to 30 yards. You should also limit your shots distance to what you are confident with. From hides, shots of 20 yards and often much less are possible if you are patient.

As lpace stated, spot & stalking may require longer shots possibly 40 yards and beyond. We encourage our bow hunters to get out of the hides and stalk when the conditions dictate success. Taking an African animal via spot & stalk with a bow is the ultimate challenge and reward. With that, it is also important to realize that spot & stalking is going to be much more challenging than hunting game from the hides. Be prepared to get some acacia thorns in your hands and knees, and some dirt on your belly if you are going to attempt any stalking. Your shot opportunities will be much more limited stalking. However, there are certain species that are more stalk-able than others. Your outfitter/PH should be able to advise you of your best chances at certain species. Above all, get ready for a lot of fun! Africa is a bow hunter's paradise!

One of the reasons I booked with Limcroma, they understand bowhunters.

I must have missed something, didn't read if you were blind hunting or spot and stalk.
I would talk to my outfitter, ask what average shooting distance are. me personally I don't take shots with a bow over 25 yards.
Study the atomy of African game. Forrest

Out of range is the most common.

I too am headed to Namibia this fall and am learning a lot from this forum. I'm not an expert but I can only advise on what I've picked up so far.

Spot & stalk or hunting from a hide? Or both? That may make the difference in what ranges you will be taking game.

I have been advised from my PH to be accurate out to 60 meters. I would recommend asking your PH what to be ready for.

Even for hunting whitetail in Northern America where most shots are not taken beyond 35 yards(32 meters) I practice beyond 60 yards which will make a 30 yard shot at a deer easy as pie(in theory).

Just my 2 cents. I'm no expert. Lots of good information on this forum and most everyone is very helpful in helping me as a newbie learn what to expect and what to prepare for

Good luck and looking forward to seeing pics and the report

Just remember if you draw blood you pay for it. Shots that are risky or at the extreme limit of your effective range can end badly with a lost animal or one that the PH shoots with a gun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneRun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois