What is the least used and least liked rifle in your safe? Why?

@Rare Breed

Is it 7mm calibre in general or that rifle? I used/hired a 7mmRm on my SA trip.

I don't have anything on that list above cause Aussies use more .308s than ought sixes.

Other wise my 7mn-08 has proven itself and I'm needing to hunt my .280ai and .308 & .300wm have been good to me.
Caliber. Just don’t see need for it

For me it's probably:

Most used: CZ .22lr (Of the centre fires I think it could be the .44 mag 1892 clone or the CZ in .223 Rem)
Least used: 404 Jeff

Not that I dislike any of my rifles but chance to shoot the .404 Jeff are the least frequent.

Wish I had more time to shoot them all.

Scrummy

Least used would be a Harrington & Richardson single shot .410. My first gun when I was 10 yrs old. Hunted lots of rabbit and squirrel with it as a kid. No monetary value at all but it’ll always be in the safe.

Least liked is my Stephens double barrel .12 ga. Awhile back there was a post about a “poor mans double” . Well I decided I needed one of those. So I bought this gun used, had the barrels shortened to remove the chokes and bought some slugs. Where I hunt we have lots of pigs. I thought this would be fun. Never have I felt recoil that physically hurt until I shot this gun. 3 rounds and it’s been in the safe since. Lol.

After reading this thread I have come to the conclusion that there are a lot of members here that will purchase a budget rifle, scope, binocular, or other item and expect for it to perform like one that cost quite a bit more.

Granted there are some items that just will not perform no matter what you do to them or what you use them for. You can't purchase a Ruger 10-22 carbine for the base price and expect it to perform like a Anschutz target grade 22 Lr. But you can purchase a Ruger 10-22 Target or Competition 22 Lr for 3x the price of the base model and get one with very crisp triggers and other custom work and go out and win competitions with them. Likewise with the Savage and other rifles that some have said that they just don't perform like they think that they should.

The same can be said about cheap optics. Some expect a Tasco optic to be on the same par as a Swaroski or Leica, it just isn't going to happen.

I once purchased a Rugger Redhawk in 44 magnum and while I was buying it a couple of gentlemen walked up to the gun counter and proclaimed that it had a very bad trigger and deemed the pistol worthless and that it would never be on par with a Smith & Wesson or a Colt. Well, I purchased that Redhawk and had a action job done on it. Once I got it back I would compare that trigger job to any firearm out there. A couple of years later I picked up a S&W 629 at one great price. I would compare the trigger pulls and crispness of both and that Ruger came out on top every time, even when I would let others check both of them out the Ruger was #1. That S&W sat in my safe gathering dust for a number of years and I then sold it. But I still have that "piece of junk" Ruger.

That 600 will sell in a nanosecond if you decide to unload it.
As would your model 12 in 20ga!! I do my best wing shooting with my 40’s vintage win 12 20ga with cylinder choke. Here’s yesterday’s successful hunt…
8F8A0E6E-4E3E-43D5-B7AC-CBA85D10C7E0.jpeg

Least used would be a Harrington & Richardson single shot .410. My first gun when I was 10 yrs old. Hunted lots of rabbit and squirrel with it as a kid. No monetary value at all but it’ll always be in the safe.

Least liked is my Stephens double barrel .12 ga. Awhile back there was a post about a “poor mans double” . Well I decided I needed one of those. So I bought this gun used, had the barrels shortened to remove the chokes and bought some slugs. Where I hunt we have lots of pigs. I thought this would be fun. Never have I felt recoil that physically hurt until I shot this gun. 3 rounds and it’s been in the safe since. Lol.
@BJONES
Try 3" magnum 1 and an eighth ounce slugs in a 7 pound gun with 22 inch barrel and modified choke. Fun but deffinatly gets your attention.
Bob

My least fired is a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. I shot my largest moose with it a bunch of years ago. I like it; I just do not seem to shoot it all that much. I do not own any I don't like.

Least used: Winchester 75 Target. I used it in completion when I was in my early teens. I keep it around just for sentimental reasons.
Least liked: Remington 700 LR in .25/06. Feels heavier than it’s 10.2#. It shoots Barnes 100 gr and 115 gr very accurately but everything else I’ve tried, groups like a shotgun pattern. Accuracy deteriorates quickly due to copper fouling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg