What is the difference between a Mauser Action and an '03 - A3 Action?

@sestoppelman
The only thing I have heard or read about being broken by the 03 is the occasional nose by inappropriate gripping of the pistol grip.
Apparently new recruits had to be taught to place their thumb along the stock instead of around the pistol grip. They only got belted in the nose once and quickly learned the lesson.
Bob
Thats an old wives tale. Probably started by people watching the movie, Sgt. York, where one of the trainees gets his thumb in his eye from recoil because he held it up like an idiot. I have heard similar stories over the years, but its just that,,, stories.

four of my sporterized military rifles.

DSCN0899 (2).JPG
DSCN0900 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
i bought it at public auction, it was very cheap when you think what it would cost to have the work done today. i don,t know who did the work as its not marked, but they knew what they were doing. one of my 35 whelen,s on a 98 action.

DSCN0838 (2).JPG
DSCN0839 (2).JPG
DSCN0840 (2).JPG
DSCN0841 (2).JPG
DSCN3639 (2).JPG
DSCN3641 (2).JPG
DSCN3640 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
could anyone elaborate on the relative merits of both actions with regards to handling gas from a ruptured case?
i know that mauser 98 is very good at this, but have never seen a springfield, so am interested.
the mod 70 win was developed from the springfield, and was never considered as good with gas as a mauser 98.
that said i do like m 70s and think the have a few small advantages over the mauser as well.
bruce.

with the coned breech(unsupported case head) and large extractor cut, the springfield to me would not handle gas as well as the 98 mauser. how ever i have never had any problems with either.

yes the pre-64 model 70,s suffered from the same short commings, the post-64 model 70,s went to push feed that did away with the coned breech and large extractor cut.

the rem 700 was promoted as 3 rings of steel, but in fact the case head was not as well supported as the mauser.
the modern m70 has gone back to the coned breech.
that is why i like the dakota76, as it is m70 rear and mauser front.
this is not the advantage to feeding that it seems, as a cartridge that goes into the extractor cut can still jam.
however in this day and age they all work well if you are sensible.
bruce.

Thats an old wives tale. Probably started by people watching the movie, Sgt. York, where one of the trainees gets his thumb in his eye from recoil because he held it up like an idiot. I have heard similar stories over the years, but its just that,,, stories.
I shot 03A3 on Army rifle team for 3 years and never saw any of our shooters belted in the nose and we were all taught to wrap our thumb around the pistol grip. For all practical purposes there isn’t a difference that amounts to a hill of beans between the two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,